Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Salute the Royal Air Force

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Congratulations to our newest service, who celebrate 100 years today.
It's all on BBC1 this morning, service at Westminster Abbey, march up the Mall, presentation of Queen's colours, and a huge fly past approx noon.

I've just watched a remarkable interview with Squadron Leader Dick Churchill, who survived the Great Escape. He was recaptured, but the Gestapo were reluctant to execute him, as happened to 50 of the 70 odd, who got out, because of his name, and that he was possibly related to Winston.

:salute:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Prince Edward must have had a busy old four months judging by the number of medals on his chest.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Prince Edward must have had a busy old four months judging by the number of medals on his chest.

Princess Anne never served, but wears medals, when she wears Naval uniform as Commandant of the women in the Royal Navy.
Not all medals are combat related, such as the more recent Jubilee medals.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Princess Anne never served, but wears medals, when she wears Naval uniform as Commandant of the women in the Royal Navy.
Not all medals are combat related, such as the more recent Jubilee medals.

What are they for then? Dishing out medals for people who've never been near a battlefield is a bit too "banana republic" for my liking.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
What are they for then? Dishing out medals for people who've never been near a battlefield is a bit too "banana republic" for my liking.

This thread is a tribute to the RAF. I've mentioned Jubilee medals, so won't dignify your point any further

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This thread is a tribute to the RAF. I've mentioned Jubilee medals, so won't dignify your point any further
I'm really not disrespecting the RAF by questioning the merits of Prince Edward wearing a host of medals when it appears they are ill-deserved.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

BBC currently interviewing two Jamaican RAF veterans, one was Ground Crew, the other Air Sea Rescue. Neither would strictly speaking have been 'near a battlefield' - do you want them to give their medals back?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Apart from Ipswich, Essex & London, Chichester was also mentioned as viewing vantages.

RAF-Flypast2.jpg
Chichester?

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patreon
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Stars......
The navy navigate by them.
The army sleep under them.
The RAF rate hotels by them :)

Paying the bills