Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Russian players were sniffing ammonia.....

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Ammonia is toxic* so I call bullshit on this, mind you the first link appears to have been written by a Child!

* inhaling high levels of ammonia may cause burns and swelling in the airways, lung damage and can be fatal, strong ammonia solutions or gases may cause burns to the skin and serious eye damage

Source: Public Health England

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ammonia is not a performance enhancing drug. It is used in smelling salts to revive swooning ladies, shocked by an expostulatory ejaculation at the theatre. Fact.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Not banned substance. No story.

It is a story, in that the Russians clearly believe that they obtain an improvement in performance otherwise they wouldn't be taking it. How many other teams are doing the same as the
Russian team, or are they not only adhering to the rules but the spirit of the rules as well.

Perhaps FIFA should comment on how many teams are inhaling ammonia during and before games.

Having said that how far different is it from PL players smearing their shirts with Vicks vapour rub which was a story when Arsenal players were the first to do it

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Ammonia is not a performance enhancing drug. It is used in smelling salts to revive swooning ladies, shocked by an expostulatory ejaculation at the theatre. Fact.

Exactly. Known as smelling salts I thought ???

Edit: I should really read posts more carefully

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
England and premier league players apparently use snus tobacco pouches.

From memory, Vardy might have been one, but then again as his pre-match routine reportedly includes three cans of Red Bull, we might not be surprised. He must be horrific to sit next to on the bench.

This stuff is linked heavily, as all tobacco products are, to various cancers, so clubs aren't exactly promoting its use.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It sounds like they're just having a whiff of smelling salts before a game. Is that any different to drinking a large espresso, or a can of some sort of caffeine drink, apart from the speed of the reaction?

Russian (and Soviet) sport does have a long and unfortunate history of drug use, but it doesn't sound to me like they've crossed any lines with this particular situation.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Russian players were sniffing ammonia.....

Poor sods, then. I've worked in an environment that included more than enough ammonia, and I'll be happy if I never get even so much as a whiff of the stuff ever again. Mind you, I did have a lot more energy at the time - but I put that down to it being 40 years ago.................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here