Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Rafa Benitez

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Apparently shortlisted for Spain job, according to the Daily Star (yes, I know). Also refusing to sign a new contract unless club agree to spend loads of cash. Might Newcastle have to be dipping into the managerial cess-pool in due course, or do they have a grand plan up their sleeves?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Apparently shortlisted for Spain job, according to the Daily Star (yes, I know). Also refusing to sign a new contract unless club agree to spend loads of cash. Might Newcastle have to be dipping into the managerial cess-pool in due course, or do they have a grand plan up their sleeves?

Roberto Martínez, if he wants it.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Rafa gets linked to every single top flight managerial job that comes up in England and Spain. This year off the top of my head, Everton, Napoli, West Ham, Arsenal, Zenit, Real Sociedad and Spain.

Nothing to see here, imo. His agent loves a rumour for leverage with Ashley. Though it is fun winding the locals up about him going up here.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
According to the Newcastle accounts for their/our promotion year, they did spend shed loads of cash. It seems to me that wherever Rafa is, he loves spending other peoples money like water.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Not signing unless I get loads of spending money...............he has had more money then any other side promoted from the Champ in the last few years! What a self entitled knob! Unfortunately Newcastle are such a basket case that he can get away with that sort of attitude, any decent chairman would tell him to do one. Well go one then Manuel, go to a really big club if you can convince them, but you just might fail, again.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not signing unless I get loads of spending money...............he has had more money then any other side promoted from the Champ in the last few years! What a self entitled knob! Unfortunately Newcastle are such a basket case that he can get away with that sort of attitude, any decent chairman would tell him to do one. Well go one then Manuel, go to a really big club if you can convince them, but you just might fail, again.

I may be wrong but yes they spent a shedload to get out of the Championship and also kept the nucleus of the team that got relegated, but Newcastle spent close to **** all last season?

He has every reason to be asked to backed this year imo. Good manager who did well last season.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Why do people compare spending loads of money to being a good manager.
Surely doing your homework and getting decent players in for a favourable price and then selling for big bucks later when they do well, then repeat, is good management.
He turned it around with the squad he had last season and got better toward the end, so why can't he start from where he left off and just tweek it a bit.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

He obviously realises that Nerwcastle aren't likely to improve on last season's performances unless they spend more money and bring in better players. Isn't that what every manager would want to do?

They may well have spent big to get out iof the Championship, and last season he gave those players a chance to prove themselves in the Premier League, but now it's time to move on and gradually improve the team. I see nothing wrong in that at all

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I may be wrong but yes they spent a shedload to get out of the Championship and also kept the nucleus of the team that got relegated, but Newcastle spent close to **** all last season?

He has every reason to be asked to backed this year imo. Good manager who did well last season.

He obviously realises that Nerwcastle aren't likely to improve on last season's performances unless they spend more money and bring in better players. Isn't that what every manager would want to do?

They may well have spent big to get out iof the Championship, and last season he gave those players a chance to prove themselves in the Premier League, but now it's time to move on and gradually improve the team. I see nothing wrong in that at all

So you would be OK with CH demanding that we spend big or I may go elsewhere? All that is wrong with football IMO, and what will lead to a few clubs going tits up in the longer term.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
So you would be OK with CH demanding that we spend big or I may go elsewhere? All that is wrong with football IMO, and what will lead to a few clubs going tits up in the longer term.

Difference being our board and Chris work together with no bullshit, no lies and just a simple this is your budget. We trust you to spend it. Hardly comparable with Ashley's continued obfuscation over budgets and transfers at St James' Park.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
He's always threatening to leave Newcastle. Been going on over a year.
Just wish the bloke would hurry and do us all a favour and leave as it's getting boring now!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

If he wasn’t given financial backing in the Premier League for the next two seasons I’d expect him to walk tbh, in fact I’d probably applaud him.

Do you really think Rafa should stay if he is not going to be given decent funds to strengthen the team? Mike Ashley would love you as a Newcastle fan.

NorthStanding

May 15, 2016
Good old Sussex by the sea
Newcastle wage bill in Championship was outrageous, but net spend Kings must be Villa, surely? We might’ve got 4 points off Newcastle last season, but Benitez leaving would give us a chance of finishing higher up the table, so I’m all for it

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Yeah, TransferMarkt has it down as around £50m in transfers and loan fees which isn't much in the grand scheme of things. Never sure how much faith to put in the numbers on that site though so best use a hefty pinch of salt.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I firmly believe that they would have been very close to relegation had they not got Kennedy on load. They need him or an equivalent to stand still.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here