Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] David Weir - Loan Manager

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I don’t think Calde’s retired from playing football yet. Also, I feel that he would be better in a coaching/mentoring role for the youngsters recruited into the Albion ranks.

Calde loves playing so much, he wants to keep playing as long as he possibly can (Andrea Orlandi).

I agree, and Calde would want to stay in the area, rather than travelling the length and breadth of the country constantly to watch & speak to youngsters.

Having said that, don't confine Calde to youngsters, as his Sports Psychology qualification is good enough for the adult players.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey it's not often we get to write this, but that's so top notch journalism from The Argus.
Obviously not the story, that's just spoon feed club guff.

Oh no, they tracked down Winstano and got a quote from him.

I can only assume it was one of those fortuitous moments when an Argus editor happened to be on the next sun lounger.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
That’s an interesting appointment, I must admit it’s a position I’ve not heard of before. So is it common place for clubs to recruit a Loan Manager, or, is it yet another innovative decision made by our forward thinking Albion?

I remember hearing Torre Andre Flo on radio talking about this role that he does at Chelsea

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
That’s an interesting appointment, I must admit it’s a position I’ve not heard of before. So is it common place for clubs to recruit a Loan Manager, or, is it yet another innovative decision made by our forward thinking Albion?

I'm sure there are others, but I was aware of Norwich City appointing someone to this position three years ago - NEIL ADAMS RETURNS TO NORWICH CITY

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Decent move, as we've grown as a club and continue to grow we will have more and more youngsters on loans. Seems logical for them to have a direct contact at a club and not just cast aside to get on with things.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It’s a weird appointment.

In what way is it weird? The recruitment team are very busy sending out scouts, not just negotiating with players that we'd like.
Loans are valuable to fringe players like Norwood, Ince, etc who want to keep playing, especially to find new clubs, and youngsters coming through who may or may not have the qualities to make it in the Premier League, but could be good players at a lower level.
I'm not sure how many people Paul Winstanley has in his team, but someone who is dedicated to watching and liaising with loan players sounds like a good asset, imo.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here