Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Rail replacement buses AGAIN

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The A23 full of rail replacement buses again today. Seems like one weekend every month. What the hell are they doing on the Brighton line? They could have rebuilt the entire line in the past year in the periods when it's been closed. Never used to be like this when I were a lad. I don't think rail replacement buses existed until a few years ago. What did they do before then?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The A23 full of rail replacement buses again today. Seems like one weekend every month. What the hell are they doing on the Brighton line? They could have rebuilt the entire line in the past year in the periods when it's been closed. Never used to be like this when I were a lad. I don't think rail replacement buses existed until a few years ago. What did they do before then?

Worked overnight, when trains stopped at midnight. I knew someone who did the night shifts on the railways.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

Was in London yesterday so came back this morning. Made sure we were on the train from Victoria by 9.30 to get back at a reasonable time. Replacement from Three Bridges.

Another argument for BML2.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Well one thing that they would never do in the old British Rail days, is close the line during the summer months, on the odd winter weelend maybe, but that seemed to be all.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

well thats probably half the problem, for decades they didnt do anything but patch the infrastructure. some jobs cant be done properly in a 6 hour nightly window.

watch out for the October week long closure, not getting much publicity or attention. fixing the Balcombe tunnel in the half term holiday.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Loads of contractors vans parked up outside the Preston Park west entrance. Looks quite a major task

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
well thats probably half the problem, for decades they didnt do anything but patch the infrastructure. some jobs cant be done properly in a 6 hour nightly window.

watch out for the October week long closure, not getting much publicity or attention. fixing the Balcombe tunnel in the half term holiday.

What do they do which necessitates them closing the line for such long periods and so frequently. This has been going on for as long as I can remember. I can’t help but think there must be a better way of doing this.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I can’t help but think there must be a better way of doing this.

Well I am sure the whole industry would like to know your solution to maintaining railway lines and not closing them - give us all a clue please

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well I am sure the whole industry would like to know your solution to maintaining railway lines and not closing them - give us all a clue please

Why the snotty response? I’m just asking what they do and wondering, as a punter, why they need such a seemingly high level of maintenance. Is this typical?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Why the snotty response? I’m just asking what they do and wondering, as a punter, why they need such a seemingly high level of maintenance. Is this typical?

The majority of maintenance is planned around a year in advance, maintain the track, power supplies, signals etc

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Apologies, didn’t mean to be so grumpy; head is still a bit sore after celebrating last night. The majority of maintenance is planned around a year in advance, maintain the track, power supplies, signals etc

Thank you. :smile:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What do they do which necessitates them closing the line for such long periods and so frequently. This has been going on for as long as I can remember. I can’t help but think there must be a better way of doing this.

A lot of the time they seem to be doing things that aren't directly to do with track maintenance, like hacking back trees or pinning back bits of chalk slopes to prevent landslides onto the track. All good stuff, but not sure it requires closing up to twenty miles of track at a time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here