Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Say a little prayer.Trapped in a cave.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
One of the experienced divers trying to help them died, highlighting just how dangerous it is in there.

Bloke on BBC, head of the British Cave Diving association (or somesuch) made the point that cave diving is very different from open water diving, even for experienced and skilled navy divers. It is to his credit that he put himself at risk and paid the ultimate price trying to help these boys. Lets hope he's the only casualty.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Bloke on BBC, head of the British Cave Diving association (or somesuch) made the point that cave diving is very different from open water diving, even for experienced and skilled navy divers.
So are some of the rescuers not experienced cave divers? That seems a bit silly. There are experts from around the world that help make this a safe rescue.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It was raining heavily earlier this morning, but this has stopped now. The first boy due out approx 3pm BST.

UPDATE

The head of the Joint Command Centre, Narongsak Osottanakorn, has just released details about the progress of the rescue operation.

He said the operation began at 10 local time (03:00 GMT), when 13 international divers entered the cave.

He said 10 of them headed for Chamber 9 (where the boys are) and Chamber 6 (near the junction) as planned. Another three cave divers joined the operation at 14:00 local time.

There are a number of additional rescue personnel - including divers from Thailand, the US, Australia, China and Europe - stationed from Chamber 3 to the entrance.

This includes a rope system to assist over difficult terrain in Chambers 2 and 3.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
If its a spoof account, just delete it. PPF doesnt need a spoof account anyway.

Ban the person behind it and delete their actual (real) account whilst at it. I thought a 'spoof' was supposed to be a 'funny' parody?!? Or am I missing something? Some people should never be allowed to get to the stage where the thought "hey you know what? I think I'm pretty funny me..." enters their very small mind. Bad taste, bad joke and (let's face it) a non spoof... just another ******** farting away in cyberspace, akin to some kind of super massive toss pot.

Thoughts and prayers to all involved.

Kosh

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
While we all hope that the boys come out safely, I just don't understand what they were doing there in the first place. The actions of the coach in taking the boys deep into the cave complex has now cost a fortune as well as sadly 1 life to date.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
While we all hope that the boys come out safely, I just don't understand what they were doing there in the first place. The actions of the coach in taking the boys deep into the cave complex has now cost a fortune as well as sadly 1 life to date.

I was having this same conversation with someone earlier today. As someone who regularly played youth football, going cave exploring immediately after training wasn't standard practice to be honest. So from my perspective, that bit of the story does on the face of it seem slightly odd. Perhaps it's a cultural thing? One thing is certain, when the dust settles the coach is going to be in a very bad place indeed. If it was entirely innocent, I perhaps feel most strongly for him right now. Here's hoping they all make it through and this guy ins't put on trial for something that might just be not that unusual in a culture I certainly know nothing about.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was having this same conversation with someone earlier today. As someone who regularly played youth football, going cave exploring immediately after training wasn't standard practice to be honest. So from my perspective, that bit of the story does on the face of it seem slightly odd. Perhaps it's a cultural thing? One thing is certain, when the dust settles the coach is going to be in a very bad place indeed. If it was entirely innocent, I perhaps feel most strongly for him right now. Here's hoping they all make it through and this guy ins't put on trial for something that might just be not that unusual in a culture I certainly know nothing about.

Apparently the caves are accessible for most of the year, and they were caught out by rain which wasn't expected. It was one of the boys birthday, and maybe he requested to go in? It isn't as if the whole of the area is flooded, just parts of it, and the tweet I've posted has shown the parents aren't lookig to blame the adult.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was having this same conversation with someone earlier today. As someone who regularly played youth football, going cave exploring immediately after training wasn't standard practice to be honest. So from my perspective, that bit of the story does on the face of it seem slightly odd. Perhaps it's a cultural thing? One thing is certain, when the dust settles the coach is going to be in a very bad place indeed. If it was entirely innocent, I perhaps feel most strongly for him right now.
I think he'd taken them there before.

I have no idea if they planned to travel far into the cave, or just went a little way when the rain blocked their exit, so they waited it out a bit, and the rain didn't stop and water forced them deeper into the cave. We'll have to wait and see, but I've seen no suggestion it's anything other than a sad accident.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Apparently the caves are accessible for most of the year, and they were caught out by rain which wasn't expected. It was one of the boys birthday, and maybe he requested to go in? It isn't as if the whole of the area is flooded, just parts of it, and the tweet I've posted has shown the parents aren't lookig to blame the adult.

Good stuff, I wasn't sure to be honest. As I say, here's hoping everyone makes it out.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I think he'd taken them there before.

I have no idea if they planned to travel far into the cave, or just went a little way when the rain blocked their exit, so they waited it out a bit, and the rain didn't stop and water forced them deeper into the cave. We'll have to wait and see, but I've seen no suggestion it's anything other than a sad accident.

Thanks (along with [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION]) for clarifying one or two points... It is so sad this story, God willing we'll have a happy enough ending.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thanks (along with [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION]) for clarifying one or two points...
:thumbsup:
It is so sad this story, God willing we'll have a happy enough ending.
We've already had 1 death too many, hopefully no more.

I can understand some experienced navy divers wanting to give it a go, but if people without cave diving experience have been going in without training from the cave experts, that is disappointing.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Ambulances leaving the site ... Nothing confirmed but strong suggestion the first 2 are out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here