Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Getting rid of Rooney was the start of all of this

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Might well be covered in other threads. I don’t have time to read them all. Certainly on my Facebook. So apologies for any repetition. But just wanted to make the very valid point that binning off the big eared chav is the best thing I can remember happening to an England team.

Team spirit > individual players

Especially overrated fat stupid ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Getting rid of Allardyce was an amazing bit of luck.

For the first time, I want to thank a tabloid, for the entrapment.

Getting rid of Sam was the best move, Rooney was shit only achievement he scored the most ever goals for England at present but whatever eh ?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Getting rid of Sam was the best move, Rooney was shit only achievement he scored the most ever goals for England at present but whatever eh ?

Not Rooney’s fault whatsoever, but when he played and after our other CL quality players retired, the lesser players left felt obliged (in their own heads, not from coaching), to always pass to Rooney. It was very predictable for the opposition. He wasn’t holding us back as such.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Regardless of his goal scoring record, Rooney's era was one of sneering, snarling, swearing and an under-achieving squad with a misplaced sense of entitlement that made them very difficult to get behind.

I prefer things how they are now.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Might well be covered in other threads. I don’t have time to read them all. Certainly on my Facebook. So apologies for any repetition. But just wanted to make the very valid point that binning off the big eared chav is the best thing I can remember happening to an England team.

Probably the best thing that happened to England was the combination of Robson's dislocated shoulder and Wilkins (RIP) lobbing the ball at the ref.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Never understand why there are a few who get so vitriolic about Rooney. He was part of a squad that failed. No mean feat to score the number of goals he did and will be interested to see if Kane gets close (I suspect he will). He wasn't binned by Southgate, he chose to retire from international football. Suspect a lot of it is down to simple envy (not necessarily with regard to the granny bit though)!

Alan Shearer retired when he was 30 and Rooney when he was 31. Scholes also retired when he was only 30.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Rather than try to find the cause look at the positive.

We have a team now with no fear, may be not world class possibly one or two might be but together and that is all down to the manager.

If you look back in time many England teams were caught up in factions usually via cliques formed from different club player factions - Chelsea v Man U etc.

What we have now is a team of players who want to do well together and also want to achieve together - remember #together once before with BHAFC.

I was born before 1966 but had no clue what happened as 2 at the time, in my life time Italia '90 was our best shot but we did not make it.

I am totally relaxed with this England team, if we do it we do it, if we don't so be it but the most important thing is we have a great set up and with this and it will happen given what the England Youth has already generated, maybe sooner than we all believed.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Yep, definitely. Was his fault we got knocked out in 98 and 2002 too.

Odd post. Yes, phasing out the old guard has helped but we have Ashley Young in the team FFS. Southgate has done a remarkable job, nothing to do with Wayne ****ing Rooney

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
There was this common idea in the English FA, until the foreign policy stopped working, that a manager has to be highly skilled in and successful in club football. It didn't apply to English candidates (because their weren't any) yet they got it right with Southgate. Lancaster Gate has had an initiative running for a while. A 'team England' ideology. And Southgate was part of it. The youth teams through to the first eleven play the same way and run off the same page. It's a blueprint that has reaped dividend earlier than expected. The FA, for once, deserve much praise. Southgate was never a risk. Look at previously successful international managers elsewhere and their backgrounds.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Never understand why there are a few who get so vitriolic about Rooney. He was part of a squad that failed. No mean feat to score the number of goals he did and will be interested to see if Kane gets close (I suspect he will). He wasn't binned by Southgate, he chose to retire from international football. Suspect a lot of it is down to simple envy (not necessarily with regard to the granny bit though)!

Alan Shearer retired when he was 30 and Rooney when he was 31. Scholes also retired when he was only 30.
He was a scouser, wasn't he. That alone is enough for quasi race hatred for a few on here. Plus he then played for Man.Utd., which wouldn't endear him to many, to be fair. Plus, t keep it to football matters, although on talent alone he always merited an England place, he never really established a position or role of his own; 10 men plus Rooney - whether that was his fault or down to poor/weak management, I don't know.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

He retired after he had been dropped and realised he wasnt going to be picked any more.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There was this common idea in the English FA, until the foreign policy stopped working, that a manager has to be highly skilled in and successful in club football. It didn't apply to English candidates (because their weren't any) yet they got it right with Southgate. Lancaster Gate has had an initiative running for a while. A 'team England' ideology. And Southgate was part of it. The youth teams through to the first eleven play the same way and run off the same page. It's a blueprint that has reaped dividend earlier than expected. The FA, for once, deserve much praise. Southgate was never a risk. Look at previously successful international managers elsewhere and their backgrounds.
I think that is quite right. And I admit I thought it was a carp idea (so many young players at schoolboy and just above level never go on to make the grade) - but I'm just beginning to doubt my own certainty on this matter...............................

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You could very well be right. They were a particularly poisonous and easy lot to dislike, weren't they?
I never found anything to like about Terry. But although most seem to dislike Rooney, I always liked him (as a player). He really was brilliant when he first played for us, until Portugal (I think) broke his foot.

We had some decent players, I assume the failure was mostly a lack of togetherness. And I blame Schteve for 2010.

It does seem very different now, and Southgate obviously deserves credit for that, but when the team leader is the lovely Harry Kane, the rest of the team can only follow.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
With regards to Rooney he could only score against what was in front of him. Lets remember Bobby Charlton scored most of his goals when we were sticking 9 past Scotland

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here