Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

1 Not allowed!
    Yep, definitely. Was his fault we got knocked out in 98 and 2002 too.

Odd post. Yes, phasing out the old guard has helped but we have Ashley Young in the team FFS. Southgate has done a remarkable job, nothing to do with Wayne ****ing Rooney

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Minister of Information

1 Not allowed!
      There was this common idea in the English FA, until the foreign policy stopped working, that a manager has to be highly skilled in and successful in club football. It didn't apply to English candidates (because their weren't any) yet they got it right with Southgate. Lancaster Gate has had an initiative running for a while. A 'team England' ideology. And Southgate was part of it. The youth teams through to the first eleven play the same way and run off the same page. It's a blueprint that has reaped dividend earlier than expected. The FA, for once, deserve much praise. Southgate was never a risk. Look at previously successful international managers elsewhere and their backgrounds.
      Quote Originally Posted by looney View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      ....and you seem to be hanging around these politics threads for an unhealthy amount of time...

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
      Never understand why there are a few who get so vitriolic about Rooney. He was part of a squad that failed. No mean feat to score the number of goals he did and will be interested to see if Kane gets close (I suspect he will). He wasn't binned by Southgate, he chose to retire from international football. Suspect a lot of it is down to simple envy (not necessarily with regard to the granny bit though)!

Alan Shearer retired when he was 30 and Rooney when he was 31. Scholes also retired when he was only 30.
      He was a scouser, wasn't he. That alone is enough for quasi race hatred for a few on here. Plus he then played for Man.Utd., which wouldn't endear him to many, to be fair. Plus, t keep it to football matters, although on talent alone he always merited an England place, he never really established a position or role of his own; 10 men plus Rooney - whether that was his fault or down to poor/weak management, I don't know.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
      Never understand why there are a few who get so vitriolic about Rooney. He was part of a squad that failed. No mean feat to score the number of goals he did and will be interested to see if Kane gets close (I suspect he will). He wasn't binned by Southgate, he chose to retire from international football. Suspect a lot of it is down to simple envy (not necessarily with regard to the granny bit though)!

Alan Shearer retired when he was 30 and Rooney when he was 31. Scholes also retired when he was only 30.
      He retired after he had been dropped and realised he wasnt going to be picked any more.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brighton Lines View Post
      There was this common idea in the English FA, until the foreign policy stopped working, that a manager has to be highly skilled in and successful in club football. It didn't apply to English candidates (because their weren't any) yet they got it right with Southgate. Lancaster Gate has had an initiative running for a while. A 'team England' ideology. And Southgate was part of it. The youth teams through to the first eleven play the same way and run off the same page. It's a blueprint that has reaped dividend earlier than expected. The FA, for once, deserve much praise. Southgate was never a risk. Look at previously successful international managers elsewhere and their backgrounds.
      I think that is quite right. And I admit I thought it was a carp idea (so many young players at schoolboy and just above level never go on to make the grade) - but I'm just beginning to doubt my own certainty on this matter........................ .......

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bry Nylon View Post
      Regardless of his goal scoring record, Rooney's era was one of sneering, snarling, swearing and an under-achieving squad with a misplaced sense of entitlement that made them very difficult to get behind.
      Probably more to do with Terry.
      Hold tight, my man
      He's got the frisbee

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brighton Lines View Post
      they got it right with Southgate
      The FA, for once, deserve much praise. Southgate was never a risk.
      But he only got the job because fat Sam is an idiot.
      Hold tight, my man
      He's got the frisbee
      Test your smoke alarm Bry Nylon's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
      Probably more to do with Terry.
      You could very well be right. They were a particularly poisonous and easy lot to dislike, weren't they?

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bry Nylon View Post
      You could very well be right. They were a particularly poisonous and easy lot to dislike, weren't they?
      I never found anything to like about Terry. But although most seem to dislike Rooney, I always liked him (as a player). He really was brilliant when he first played for us, until Portugal (I think) broke his foot.

We had some decent players, I assume the failure was mostly a lack of togetherness. And I blame Schteve for 2010.

It does seem very different now, and Southgate obviously deserves credit for that, but when the team leader is the lovely Harry Kane, the rest of the team can only follow.
      Hold tight, my man
      He's got the frisbee

1 Not allowed!
      With regards to Rooney he could only score against what was in front of him. Lets remember Bobby Charlton scored most of his goals when we were sticking 9 past Scotland
      In The ex Legion now known as Lower Bourne Social Club again