Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Getting rid of Rooney was the start of all of this

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Not knocking the legend Charlton is,but we were putting 8 and 9 past the likes of USA and Mexico wouldn't happen now.

Yes it does we stuff 6 past Kazakhstan. San Marino 5 past many others we also play a lot more of these one sided qualification games due to the number of smaller nations in qualifying. Obviously 10 - 0 vs USA not likely to happen again but two games versus the likes of Kazakhstan in a qualifying group it soon adds up.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I liked Rooney for England because he really tried and he really cared. He inherited an aging Beckham, Scholes, Rio, Gerrard and Lampard which meant his chance of success with the national team was limited. Euro 2004 and WC 2006 were enormous chances for us as a nation which weren't taken. Those tournaments we should have been semi-finalists at least, with that team we had. 2010, 2012 and 2014 tournaments all had a relatively weak England team and Rooney was trying to take on too much because the standards had slipped quite dramatically.

I think with this England team, we have a clear best player in his prime in Harry Kane, plus a solid defence and good goalkeeper. We've not played particularly well in any of the games, smashing the Mary out of Panama aside, and we've not really been able to get Kane in any of them but we've done enough. It's a shame for players from the golden era that a draw never opened up in the way this one has, for this England team. The team is nowhere near as good as the side in 2004 or 2006 though - I am confident that only Pickford and Kane would have had a chance of being in either side.

I'm loving this England team, Southgate and the whole new era.

I also agree with you about the high quality of the England team and squad in the noughties. Packed with players who played winning CL football, where they were played by quality club managers for years (managers who could've easily gone out and bought replacements).

As time's moved on, with the brilliance of Southgate's tournament management highlighting this even more, one of the key reasons they failed was the unprofessional FA and their erratic choice of inappropriate managers. Hindsight really does tell us that McLaren, Capello and Hodgson were totally unsuitable candidates, Sven quite possibly too.

Finally, by luck rather than judgement, they got it right.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
He still hasn't answered the question!
You know when you explain something to a 3 year old and they say "but why?" and you explain further and they say "but why?" and after the fifth time you change the subject and move on?

It's that. [emoji8]

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Rooney was the last left in the squad that had that horrible god given attitude that felt they were above the national team. Getting rid of him represented the last of the dead wood that had their chance but royally blew it...

Just to add most of Rooney's goals were all mostly in qualifications or friendlies. 53 goals and only 4 in major tournaments... He massively under performed when we needed him most. Kane has already beaten this. Kane will be England top goal scorer...

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Rooney was the last left in the squad that had that horrible god given attitude that felt they were above the national team. Getting rid of him represented the last of the dead wood that had their chance but royally blew it...

Just to add most of Rooney's goals were all mostly in qualifications or friendlies. 53 goals and only 4 in major tournaments... He massively under performed when we needed him most. Kane has already beaten this. Kane will be England top goal scorer...
Agree. Flat track bully.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You know when you explain something to a 3 year old and they say "but why?" and you explain further and they say "but why?" and after the fifth time you change the subject and move on?

It's that. [emoji8]

QED.

Thanks, I feel vindicated that you can't back up your previous statements and resort to the above type of post.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Scenes.

[tweet]1028843646450380802[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm no fan of Wayne Rooney, but that's class!

It took me a couple of watches to piece together all the associated parts, it's very Buckleyesque but dare I say even better.
Gotta feel sorry for the DC United fans, they've just moved into their new stadium having previously been watched by 1 man and his dog, then suddenly they are confronted by that.

The poor lambs are going to think it's like that every week.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here