Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England's WC so far. Brilliant!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Much as I hate to say it Trig has got a point. (Although I felt confident we'd get past Colombia & Sweden)
If England bring it home, they can only look back at the final as being the only game where they would have beaten a fancied team.
The cup is there for the taking, and it's possibly England's to lose now.

Ditto. If - and it's a big 'if' - you take any notice of the Fifa rankings, then we've beaten four teams below us (one on penalties) and lost to one team above us. Croatia are below us, so we should beat them. Belgium and France are above us ...

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I've not been on NSC long enough to know, obviously, but why are you such a cantankerous, gnarly old bugger about something which for the rest of us has been such a joyous occasion, with hopefully more joy to follow? Just curious.

You will eventually get used to it. All you need to know is there are one of three reasons those types of poster exist.

1. They think it's funny in which case they are wankpuffins.
2. They think they're being clever to provoke a reaction in which case they are wankpuffins.
3. They actually believe what they are posting in which case they are wankpuffins.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
You will eventually get used to it. All you need to know is there are one of three reasons those types of poster exist.

1. They think it's funny in which case they are wankpuffins.
2. They think they're being clever to provoke a reaction in which case they are wankpuffins.
3. They actually believe what they are posting in which case they are wankpuffins.

Yes, i know. I think I was just curious to know which category they fell into. Although I think on this occasion there is a fourth and more likely explanation - i.e. a non-English citizen of the British Isles. I don't really resent these individuals their bit of fun. They're not having nearly as much fun as the rest of us, though!

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
The winner of France/Belgium is going to be the favourite, whoever wins out of England/Croatia, unless there is a stream of injuries/red cards for the winning team in the France match.

What's important to me is that England have that chance. Yes, it could all go wrong against Croatia (who I would then definitely be supporting in the final), but one thing I think we can be sure of is that this England team are not taking things for granted.

I'd fancy England to beat Belgium. Their star attacking players play in the Premier League. The England tight 5 back line, know their game inside out.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We will struggle against France or Belgium I think. We just need to make sure that struggle is in the final not the 3rd place play off.

Either way though, this team and tournament have been a breath of fresh air for me. I was expecting a poor performance again and have been very pleasantly surprised.

C'mon England!!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Much as I hate to say it Trig has got a point. ....
Yes, he did have a point. 'Dave in Southampton' also had a point on another thread with his 'panem et circenses' comment when he said that all this is doing is taking our minds off the very real problems the country faces.

But for the next few glorious days, maybe even until Sunday, they can keep their negative thoughts to themselves and allow us to revel in the incredible, unprecedented joy that this World Cup has generated. Tomorrow can look after itself.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My question is - we’re all riding on this crest of an England wave, so regardless of whether we bring the trophy home, how many of you will be applauding / showing respect to these England players when they rock up at the AMEX next season and who will quickly forget and give them pelters like any other away team player ?!

Following The Albion has nothing to do with following England. Like my Catholic mate who believes the world and all its creatures were created a few thousand years ago, but knows (in his work context) that it has been around many millions of years and that life has evolved very slowly. So when we play the likes of Kane et al next season it will be pelters all the way from me.

Probably.

(If we win the WC I may applaude when his name is read out extremely quickly at the Amex. Maybe. :lolol:....)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It isn't.

Remember the long rigmarole we got into the other day? Apparently you have learned nothing from it. You're not the sort of poster that normally gets me agitated. And I am certainly not going to engage further with you this time. But...I really don't get it :shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Remember the long rigmarole we got into the other day? Apparently you have learned nothing from it. You're not the sort of poster that normally gets me agitated. And I am certainly not going to engage further with you this time. But...I really don't get it :shrug:

Triggaaar is the most argumentative person on NSC, and that in itself is a world class achievement. :smile:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Triggaaar is the most argumentative person on NSC, and that in itself is a world class achievement. :smile:

Argumentative is fine. Making pointless assertions then defending them to the death is perverse. Anyway, just thought I'd comment briefly. Now I'm OUT! Literally. To the beach. :lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Remember the long rigmarole we got into the other day? Apparently you have learned nothing from it.
You were in a bad mood with me because I disagreed with someone you know, who may have been having a bad time or something. What am I supposed to learn from that? That I'm not to disagree with anyone about anything in case they're having a bad time, and someone they know might then start on me on a selection of threads?

You're not the sort of poster that normally gets me agitated. And I am certainly not going to engage further with you this time.
That's a relief for us all.
But...I really don't get it :shrug:
Jesus why are people here so touchy? People are getting a little carried away with themselves thinking we're going to win the world cup. Good for them, but personally I find that expectation leads to more disappointment when things don't go our way, so I like to keep my powder dry. The fact is, we probably won't win. So I'm just happy we've had a good run, and I'll hope we get to the final.

So some are saying it's coming home, and I'm saying it's not. How is that harming anyone? We won yesterday, just be happy and not so touchy.

Triggaaar is the most argumentative person on NSC
No I'm not.

LVGull

May 13, 2016

Don’t get me wrong I love Trig. I like the banter with him, but never get into an argument with him. He’s like that ex wife you wanted to throw of the balcony. He just doesn’t know when to stop bitching.

Trig lighten up and get on the England train. It won’t be around for long.....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, he did have a point. 'Dave in Southampton' also had a point on another thread with his 'panem et circenses' comment when he said that all this is doing is taking our minds off the very real problems the country faces.

But for the next few glorious days, maybe even until Sunday, they can keep their negative thoughts to themselves and allow us to revel in the incredible, unprecedented joy that this World Cup has generated. Tomorrow can look after itself.

Even outside this WC, this country is not as miserable as many make out.

Choose to listen incessantly to the mood music and narrative of the media, only gives a warped view of the country and world.

By nature, they rarely talk about positive news.

There’s increasing work done by mental health experts, showing the detrimental effect of immersing oneself in ‘news’.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Trig lighten up and get on the England train. It won’t be around for long.....
Seriously, I'm the one here who is light (I'm not actually sure what that means). I'm loving our world cup journey. I've watched every game of the WC (except when two were on at a time).

I just don't like to believe we're going to win something when we probably won't, as it leads to disappointment. So several of you feel like swearing at me :shrug: Ok.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No I'm not.

Oh yes you are :smile:

Anyway historically, as one of the most negative posters on NSC re England I am ****ing loving this run. No we probably won’t win but I like this team and have warmed to Southgate, so I am just going to enjoy it and will feel no angst when we eventually lose (unless we are cheated by VAR, which I think we might be)

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Seriously, I'm the one here who is light (I'm not actually sure what that means). I'm loving our world cup journey. I've watched every game of the WC (except when two were on at a time).

I just don't like to believe we're going to win something when we probably won't, as it leads to disappointment. So several of you feel like swearing at me :shrug: Ok.

As I said Trig, lighten up. Go and find someone to give you a cuddle.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A squad and manager written off as shite before the tournament by 2/3 of the nation, with our track record of 20 years of tournament disasters and some bad luck, ARE IN THE LAST 4 OF THE WORLD CUP AFTER SOME QUALITY PERFORMANCES.

WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here