Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England's WC so far. Brilliant!

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A massive well done to Southgate, and his first 11.

They've given us 4 wins in a tournament, for first time in a generation or two.

Despite the dominance of the PL and club tribalism in England, this brilliant WC has rebalanced the picture.

Happy days :smile:

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
DB1C65C8-C9A5-4703-9BD6-4DF4B27A7870.jpeg

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
England's WC so far. Piece of piss.

If only Brighton had it this easy in the PL, playing Tunisia, Panama, Colombia without their only star player and Sweden.

Belgium have beaten Brazil & England
France have beaten Argentina & Denmark
Croatia have beaten Argentina
Russia have beaten Spain

To get this far.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
For those of us who have seen so many failures since 1966, this is karma

It's coming home!!!!!

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel

If only Brighton had it this easy in the PL, playing Tunisia, Panama, Colombia without their only star player and Sweden.
Come on this is a bit of a half empty comment. England won that with 'savvy'

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I keep thinking of the rise of Jordan Pickford, only a couple of years back he was employed to pick the balls out of Sunderland's net, but he wanted better, so he left and became a goalkeeper and now he finds himself in the semi finals of the World Cup ! Amazing !

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Come on this is a bit of a half empty comment. England won that with 'savvy'

Half empty? Just accurate, isn't it? Who out of that lot would you be worried about Brighton facing?

Half empty assumes I want them to win. When, in truth, I couldn't give a ****.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton

Russia have beaten Spain

To get this far.
You can only beat what is Infront of you.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Before the WC on NSC, many predicted an early flop for England and slagged off Southgate. They were wrong.

In the past England crumbled against the likes of those opponents.

Plus the BBC narrative before the game was that Sweden don't concede goals, have the Indian Sign over England, blah, blah.

Finally, England are breaking all those tournament traits.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Half empty? Just accurate, isn't it? Who out of that lot would you be worried about Brighton facing?

If you don’t give a ****, why post on this thread? Leave it to us deluded English fans who think, maybe, just maybe, it could be our year.

I don’t think we’ll beat another team now, but, Christ it’s been fun while it lasts.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
My question is - we’re all riding on this crest of an England wave, so regardless of whether we bring the trophy home, how many of you will be applauding / showing respect to these England players when they rock up at the AMEX next season and who will quickly forget and give them pelters like any other away team player ?!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Before the WC on NSC, many predicted an early flop for England and slagged off Southgate. They were wrong.

Plus the BBC narrative before the game was that Sweden don't concede goals, have the Indian Sign over England, blah, blah.

Yep, delighted to admit I was totally wrong about Southgate, still think we were poor vs Colombia, but we weren’t today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patreon
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
My question is - we’re all riding on this crest of an England wave, so regardless of whether we bring the trophy home, how many of you will be applauding / showing respect to these England players when they rock up at the AMEX next season and who will quickly forget and give them pelters like any other away team player ?!

Whatever happens, I'll be applauding Pickford when he approaches the North Stand. He was immense today.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I hold my hand up for being a long time negative England fan. How refreshing this tournament has been. I am also eating humble pie for my comments on Southgate.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My Son asked me” Dad, is this what it’s like to watch a good England team, only I’ve never seen it in my life”

He’s 27

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

What a sad, poisonous little cock you are.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Russia have beaten Spain

To get this far.

:ffsparr:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

My answer is - that's always been the way, it's club tribalism. Post 1986 and 1990 WC's, opposing fans didn't applaud Beardsley, Lineker, Waddle and Barnes, wishing them a good club game. Normal club service was resumed.

Following England in tournaments is mutually exclusive, albeit it sometimes takes time to bury the hatchet against players loathed by others at club level (A.Cole, Terry, Sterling).

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep, delighted to admit I was totally wrong about Southgate, still think we were poor vs Colombia, but we weren’t today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We bossed a violent, cheating Colombia for 80 minutes and the second half of ET. Amazing that we managed to keep our heads, to play football in the face of premeditated provocation and thuggery.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I’m so proud of this team, I wore my England shirt for the first time in four years although it’s slightly fuller. I don’t care if we win the world cup. Southgate you are a legend, I thought my England loving days were truly over. Watching it at the British Club in Abu Dhabi and everyone burst into song at the final whistle. Can we win it? No chance but every chance . Football has come home for me, even if it’s only my own home. Pissed and emotional.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here