2 Not allowed!
    Weather forecast for tonight: dark.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Seriously, I'm the one here who is light (I'm not actually sure what that means). I'm loving our world cup journey. I've watched every game of the WC (except when two were on at a time).

I just don't like to believe we're going to win something when we probably won't, as it leads to disappointment. So several of you feel like swearing at me Ok.
      Fair enough. Your motive makes sense, but its best to keep such thoughts to yourself; musing 'aloud' in this way reminds me of the maiden aunt at a wedding muttering about 'there's bound to be affair, mark my words', up the duff with another bloke's child and divorce before the year is out, preferring this to 'jinxing it with positivity'. It may make her feel more 'settled', but it is guaranteed take the shine off the day for everyone else. There's a thought for you.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA

Premier League : Brighton, le club le plus cool d'Angleterre
      Test your smoke alarm Bry Nylon's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      White shorts instead of red to go with that red change shirt and everything would be just about perfect.
      Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      Even outside this WC, this country is not as miserable as many make out.

Choose to listen incessantly to the mood music and narrative of the media, only gives a warped view of the country and world.

By nature, they rarely talk about positive news.

There’s increasing work done by mental health experts, showing the detrimental effect of immersing oneself in ‘news’.
      Spot on. I get all my news off the BBC and Evening Standard. I don't think anything is missed out. I am well aware there are people (parents most frequently) who do the most dispicable and appaling things to kids, and 25 years ago why my son was small I'd read stories and have nightmares. I was depressed for weeks after one nasty story, when the child in question was photo'd wearing a pair of slippers identical to my lad's. I don't need another reminder of the depths of human depravity so I turn the TV down if it looks like 'details' will be provided. But the beeb is restrained, and this avoids my exposure to the relentless salaciousness, tittilation, and negativity you get from 'other outlets' whose stories, read one after another, when I have occasionally delved in the past, are weaved and constructed to make you feel angry and sickened, and with a hard on, all at the same time. A beast, just like the beasts they villify.

Most peope are really nice, even if some of them struggle with 'doing empathy'
      Last edited by Harry Wilson's tackle; 08-07-2018 at 19:19.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA

Premier League : Brighton, le club le plus cool d'Angleterre

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Seagull4Ever View Post
      My question is - we’re all riding on this crest of an England wave, so regardless of whether we bring the trophy home, how many of you will be applauding / showing respect to these England players when they rock up at the AMEX next season and who will quickly forget and give them pelters like any other away team player ?!
      Completely different scenario. You are supporting TEAM ENGLAND not Harry Kane, Lingard etc.

I was not interested before it started nor a big fan of Southgate either but have to say he looks like he is managing the players in a way very similar to our very own CH. I have to say impressed with him letting the emotion out and that has made it all the better.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry Wilson's tackle View Post
      Spot on. I get all my news off the BBC and Evening Standard. I don't think anything is missed out. I am well aware there are people (parents most frequently) who do the most dispicable and appaling things to kids, and 25 years ago why my son was small I'd read stories and have nightmares. I was depressed for weeks after one nasty story, when the child in question was photo'd wearing a pair of slippers identical to my lad's. I don't need another reminder of the depths of human depravity so I turn the TV down if t looks like 'details' will be provided. But the beeb is restrained, and this avoids my exposure to the relentless salaciousness, tittilation, and negativity you get from 'other outlets' whose stories, read one after another:
      Yes, I had the same realisation that reading too much news wasn't doing me much good - both tabloid stuff (occasionally) and political stuff that would get me worked up.

I ended up with the BBC,The Times and New Scientist, a combination which seems to get most things across without having too be trying to score in-depth political points. Having a news free day once a week is a good idea, too. Mind you, this is somewhat derailing this celebratory thread.

The only thing that could make the football not a success now would be if England were to change to an entirely negative game plan on Wednesday and lose, but I'm pretty sure that won't happen (the negative plan - I'm sure we can lose). The great thing about them this tournament is that they are intelligently using knowledge on the other teams in a way that previous managerial regimes just didn't seem able to do (or the players couldn't carry out the plan properly).

2 Not allowed!
      Why can't people just enjoy it for what it is. They have won 4 games , yes indifferent opposition, but some of the favourites have lost to indifferent teams. Remember it was only two years ago we lost to an indifferent Iceland so progress has been made.

I was a sceptic but quickly converted when it all started as the emotion started to sink in.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by neilbard View Post
      Goose bumps. What a noise from just 4,000 in wide open space.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Wardy's twin View Post
      Why can't people just enjoy it for what it is. They have won 4 games , yes indifferent opposition, but some of the favourites have lost to indifferent teams. Remember it was only two years ago we lost to an indifferent Iceland so progress has been made.

I was a sceptic but quickly converted when it all started as the emotion started to sink in.
      Sweden and their incredible defence were highly regarded ...... until yesterday afternoon. We were told by the BBC and ITV that Colombia's team contained several world class players even without James .... those players did little, their shit-scared manager and team resorted to violence and cheating.

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry Wilson's tackle View Post
      Fair enough. Your motive makes sense, but its best to keep such thoughts to yourself; musing 'aloud' in this way reminds me of the maiden aunt at a wedding muttering about 'there's bound to be affair, mark my words', up the duff with another bloke's child and divorce before the year is out, preferring this to 'jinxing it with positivity'. It may make her feel more 'settled', but it is guaranteed take the shine off the day for everyone else. There's a thought for you.
      Yep, funny, but that sure is nothing like what I've done.
      Hold tight, my man
      He's got the frisbee