Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England's WC so far. Brilliant!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Seriously, I'm the one here who is light (I'm not actually sure what that means). I'm loving our world cup journey. I've watched every game of the WC (except when two were on at a time).

I just don't like to believe we're going to win something when we probably won't, as it leads to disappointment. So several of you feel like swearing at me :shrug: Ok.

Fair enough. Your motive makes sense, but its best to keep such thoughts to yourself; musing 'aloud' in this way reminds me of the maiden aunt at a wedding muttering about 'there's bound to be affair, mark my words', up the duff with another bloke's child and divorce before the year is out, preferring this to 'jinxing it with positivity'. It may make her feel more 'settled', but it is guaranteed take the shine off the day for everyone else. There's a thought for you. :thumbsup:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
White shorts instead of red to go with that red change shirt and everything would be just about perfect.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Even outside this WC, this country is not as miserable as many make out.

Choose to listen incessantly to the mood music and narrative of the media, only gives a warped view of the country and world.

By nature, they rarely talk about positive news.

There’s increasing work done by mental health experts, showing the detrimental effect of immersing oneself in ‘news’.

Spot on. I get all my news off the BBC and Evening Standard. I don't think anything is missed out. I am well aware there are people (parents most frequently) who do the most dispicable and appaling things to kids, and 25 years ago why my son was small I'd read stories and have nightmares. I was depressed for weeks after one nasty story, when the child in question was photo'd wearing a pair of slippers identical to my lad's. I don't need another reminder of the depths of human depravity so I turn the TV down if it looks like 'details' will be provided. But the beeb is restrained, and this avoids my exposure to the relentless salaciousness, tittilation, and negativity you get from 'other outlets' whose stories, read one after another, when I have occasionally delved in the past, are weaved and constructed to make you feel angry and sickened, and with a hard on, all at the same time. A beast, just like the beasts they villify.

Most peope are really nice, even if some of them struggle with 'doing empathy' :shrug:

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
My question is - we’re all riding on this crest of an England wave, so regardless of whether we bring the trophy home, how many of you will be applauding / showing respect to these England players when they rock up at the AMEX next season and who will quickly forget and give them pelters like any other away team player ?!

Completely different scenario. You are supporting TEAM ENGLAND not Harry Kane, Lingard etc.

I was not interested before it started nor a big fan of Southgate either but have to say he looks like he is managing the players in a way very similar to our very own CH. I have to say impressed with him letting the emotion out and that has made it all the better.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Spot on. I get all my news off the BBC and Evening Standard. I don't think anything is missed out. I am well aware there are people (parents most frequently) who do the most dispicable and appaling things to kids, and 25 years ago why my son was small I'd read stories and have nightmares. I was depressed for weeks after one nasty story, when the child in question was photo'd wearing a pair of slippers identical to my lad's. I don't need another reminder of the depths of human depravity so I turn the TV down if t looks like 'details' will be provided. But the beeb is restrained, and this avoids my exposure to the relentless salaciousness, tittilation, and negativity you get from 'other outlets' whose stories, read one after another:
Yes, I had the same realisation that reading too much news wasn't doing me much good - both tabloid stuff (occasionally) and political stuff that would get me worked up.

I ended up with the BBC,The Times and New Scientist, a combination which seems to get most things across without having too be trying to score in-depth political points. Having a news free day once a week is a good idea, too. Mind you, this is somewhat derailing this celebratory thread.

The only thing that could make the football not a success now would be if England were to change to an entirely negative game plan on Wednesday and lose, but I'm pretty sure that won't happen (the negative plan - I'm sure we can lose). The great thing about them this tournament is that they are intelligently using knowledge on the other teams in a way that previous managerial regimes just didn't seem able to do (or the players couldn't carry out the plan properly).

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Why can't people just enjoy it for what it is. They have won 4 games , yes indifferent opposition, but some of the favourites have lost to indifferent teams. Remember it was only two years ago we lost to an indifferent Iceland so progress has been made.

I was a sceptic but quickly converted when it all started as the emotion started to sink in.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Why can't people just enjoy it for what it is. They have won 4 games , yes indifferent opposition, but some of the favourites have lost to indifferent teams. Remember it was only two years ago we lost to an indifferent Iceland so progress has been made.

I was a sceptic but quickly converted when it all started as the emotion started to sink in.

Sweden and their incredible defence were highly regarded ...... until yesterday afternoon. We were told by the BBC and ITV that Colombia's team contained several world class players even without James .... those players did little, their shit-scared manager and team resorted to violence and cheating.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fair enough. Your motive makes sense, but its best to keep such thoughts to yourself; musing 'aloud' in this way reminds me of the maiden aunt at a wedding muttering about 'there's bound to be affair, mark my words', up the duff with another bloke's child and divorce before the year is out, preferring this to 'jinxing it with positivity'. It may make her feel more 'settled', but it is guaranteed take the shine off the day for everyone else. There's a thought for you. :thumbsup:
Yep, funny, but that sure is nothing like what I've done.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yep, funny, but that sure is nothing like what I've done.

It is, though, isn't it though?

(and a perpetual motion machine is this created) :lolol::thumbsup:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Players from EPL who are still in World Cup

Manchester united
1. Lingard
2. Rashford
3. Young
4. Jones
5. Linderlof
6. Pogba
7. Lukaku
8. Fellaini

Tottenham
1. Kane
2. Dier
3. Trippier
4. Rose
5. Vetongran
6. Alderweireld
7. Dembele
8. Deli Alli
9. Lloris.

Manchester city
1. De brouyne
2. Sterling
3. Stones
4. Delph
5. Kompany
6. Mendy
7. Walker

Chelsea
1. Kante
2. Hazard
3. Batshuayi
4. Cahill
5. Loftus cheek
6. Thibaut Courtois
7. Giroud

Liverpool
1. Arnold
2. Henderson
3. Lovren
4. Mignolet

Arsenal
1. No one ��
2. No body ��
3. I said no body��
4. I repeat no body��
5. Not a soul ��
6 Situation vacant ����

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Manchester united
1. Lingard
2. Rashford
3. Young
4. Jones
5. Linderlof
6. Pogba
7. Lukaku
8. Fellaini

Tottenham
1. Kane
2. Dier
3. Trippier
4. Rose
5. Vetongran
6. Alderweireld
7. Dembele
8. Deli Alli
9. Lloris.

Manchester city
1. De brouyne
2. Sterling
3. Stones
4. Delph
5. Kompany
6. Mendy
7. Walker

Chelsea
1. Kante
2. Hazard
3. Batshuayi
4. Cahill
5. Loftus cheek
6. Thibaut Courtois
7. Giroud

Liverpool
1. Arnold
2. Henderson
3. Lovren
4. Mignolet

Arsenal
1. No one ��
2. No body ��
3. I said no body��
4. I repeat no body��
5. Not a soul ��
6 Situation vacant ����

Funny, but also damning.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne

Manchester united
1. Lingard
2. Rashford
3. Young
4. Jones
5. Linderlof
6. Pogba
7. Lukaku
8. Fellaini

Tottenham
1. Kane
2. Dier
3. Trippier
4. Rose
5. Vetongran
6. Alderweireld
7. Dembele
8. Deli Alli
9. Lloris.

Manchester city
1. De brouyne
2. Sterling
3. Stones
4. Delph
5. Kompany
6. Mendy
7. Walker

Chelsea
1. Kante
2. Hazard
3. Batshuayi
4. Cahill
5. Loftus cheek
6. Thibaut Courtois
7. Giroud

Liverpool
1. Arnold
2. Henderson
3. Lovren
4. Mignolet

Arsenal
1. No one ��
2. No body ��
3. I said no body��
4. I repeat no body��
5. Not a soul ��
6 Situation vacant ����

Danny Welbeck.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Manchester united
1. Lingard
2. Rashford
3. Young
4. Jones
5. Linderlof
6. Pogba
7. Lukaku
8. Fellaini

Tottenham
1. Kane
2. Dier
3. Trippier
4. Rose
5. Vetongran
6. Alderweireld
7. Dembele
8. Deli Alli
9. Lloris.

Manchester city
1. De brouyne
2. Sterling
3. Stones
4. Delph
5. Kompany
6. Mendy
7. Walker

Chelsea
1. Kante
2. Hazard
3. Batshuayi
4. Cahill
5. Loftus cheek
6. Thibaut Courtois
7. Giroud

Liverpool
1. Arnold
2. Henderson
3. Lovren
4. Mignolet

Arsenal
1. No one 😂
2. No body 😂
3. I said no body😂
4. I repeat no body😂
5. Not a soul 😂
6 Situation vacant 😂😂

This might actually give Albion a little advantage at the beginning of the season. It is probably a good thing to face a top 6 team early in the season anyway, but many of United's players (and a handful of Liverpool's) will almost certainly not be up to full speed by the time we face them in two of the first three matches of the season.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
This might actually give Albion a little advantage at the beginning of the season. It is probably a good thing to face a top 6 team early in the season anyway, but many of United's players (and a handful of Liverpool's) will almost certainly not be up to full speed by the time we face them in two of the first three matches of the season.

This list is doing the rounds on WhatsApp.
I'm guessing it originated from ITV WC pundit team :)

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
England's WC so far. Piece of piss.

If only Brighton had it this easy in the PL, playing Tunisia, Panama, Colombia without their only star player and Sweden.

Belgium have beaten Brazil & England
France have beaten Argentina & Denmark
Croatia have beaten Argentina
Russia have beaten Spain

To get this far.

Good that we are still involved but dont lets go overboard, we were given a free pass in the league,Belguim and England go forward,Columbia were no problem so our first real game is Sweden

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun

I find it a little odd that some of the crowd chose not to celebrate the goal, but thought it more appropriate to film others celebrating. Maybe it’s a generational thing ( I’m 66 ) , but my first reaction to a goal for England ( or the Albion ), is to go mental, not think “ I must get my phone out and film the crowd”

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here