Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Zaha rejects £120k a week contract

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
"I loved it down there, I loved the area, fans were brill to me and that were always a big part in my decision not to move anywhere, I felt like I owed Southampton something because I was just a little kid from Guernsey and they took a chance on me and gave me my chance to be a professional footballer which was my dream."

Personally, I wish there were more footballers as good as him that thought like him.

If they play for Brighton I’d be up for that 100% :smile:

But if truth be told Le Tissier never reached his potential staying at Saints

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Err he bottled it by staying at the small club, which is what I reckon Zaha will do. Zaha was an irrelevance at United, should not have even gone there so he didn’t really blow it and was farmed out in double quick time to an even shitter club than Palace before he came back as the Prodigal.
Le Tiss bottled it? Bollox! A fine example of a loyal one club man. #Brightonfan1983 has nailed it.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Le Tiss bottled it? Bollox! A fine example of a loyal one club man. #Brightonfan1983 has nailed it.
Le Tissier has regrets, massive ones, even if he doesn't mention them. On talent alone, he was good enough to play for the biggest clubs and secure at least 30 England caps. But, he was a lazy, with little ambition.... and that's cool, I'm kind of like that!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Depends if being a big fish in a small pond is your ultimate aim I guess. Yes he was very loyal but he never reached his potential because of it. I suggest Zaha will be the same having dipped his toe in the big pond for a few minutes but scurried back at the first opportunity.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Winifred could be a bigger baby than Yaya (no birthday greetings) if he doesn't get adored by fans. More than any he can ask for a pay rise, after all without him they would have been relegated, but the board should hold out and call his bluff.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Depends if being a big fish in a small pond is your ultimate aim I guess. Yes he was very loyal but he never reached his potential because of it. I suggest Zaha will be the same having dipped his toe in the big pond for a few minutes but scurried back at the first opportunity.
Lack of ambition, maybe. But that's totally different from bottling it. He was happy, doing a job he loved every minute of, in a place and surroundings he was happy in, and earning fantastic money for doing it. Yes, perhaps he could have earned even more, but maybe that didn't bother him - he no doubt earned a few million in his playing career (even a miserly £10K a week is half a million a year, after all) so with a few million in the bank why would it be so vital to try to get even more?
Not being greedy isn't bottling it either.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
what's with the rumours about Palace being skint? So after 5 years of Prem money they haven't got a pot to piss in? What's caused it? High wage bill? New stand to pay for? A bit of both?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'd say he's worth about £100m to palace ie their place in the PL. He can just about ask for what he likes.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

When you’re from Guernsey, Southampton is a big pond.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It makes a nice headline in that category of greedy footballer doesn't appreciate his life, but do we know it's the weekly wage that he is in disagreement with the club over? Contracts are so complex these days, image rights, personal sponsorship deals, buyout clauses, bonuses, who pays the agent, etc. (there might also be something related to taxes in there)

Palace reportedly slapped a £70m tag on him when Man City showed interest earlier this summer and City moved on. A result for Palace, but Zaha's chance of a premier league title and champions league football took a bit of a hit. Perhaps he wants a less restrictive buy out clause added. Maybe he wants a larger bonus package. Maybe he want his own room when they stay over before away matches. Maybe he'd be happy with 120K he is just pushing them to see if he can squeeze a bit more in a typical negotiation tactic, and the club are simply trying to embarrass/pressure him into signing the deal by leaking what their latest offer is.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
the club are simply trying to embarrass/pressure him into signing the deal by leaking what their latest offer is.
That would be a pretty classless thing to do...

...oh.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
what's with the rumours about Palace being skint? So after 5 years of Prem money they haven't got a pot to piss in? What's caused it? High wage bill? New stand to pay for? A bit of both?
"Latest" accounts (the 2017 ones) show that they are living beyond their means again. Wages and player amortisation costs higher than turnover. The only club in the PL who did this in that year.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It makes a nice headline in that category of greedy footballer doesn't appreciate his life, but do we know it's the weekly wage that he is in disagreement with the club over? Contracts are so complex these days, image rights, personal sponsorship deals, buyout clauses, bonuses, who pays the agent, etc. (there might also be something related to taxes in there)

Palace reportedly slapped a £70m tag on him when Man City showed interest earlier this summer and City moved on. A result for Palace, but Zaha's chance of a premier league title and champions league football took a bit of a hit. Perhaps he wants a less restrictive buy out clause added. Maybe he wants a larger bonus package. Maybe he want his own room when they stay over before away matches. Maybe he'd be happy with 120K he is just pushing them to see if he can squeeze a bit more in a typical negotiation tactic, and the club are simply trying to embarrass/pressure him into signing the deal by leaking what their latest offer is.

Image rights ?

4ebe63ac53631dbb0e003160cb73fd76.jpg

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Talking to Palace STH's in the pub yesterday they seem to think the club will offer an improved contract , WZ is to much of an asset to the Palace to lose.
Also had concerns about Townsend being linked with a £20 million move as a replacement would cost more.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
£200k per week 4 YEAR CONTRACT!!!!! Are they mad? Yes, obviously.

What lunatic would commit £40m for someone on a downward incline - may get a decent season out of him but will remain burdened. His time has gone, why block the progress of others and lumber yourself with such debt. Mad

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

What lunatic would commit £40m for someone on a downward incline - may get a decent season out of him but will remain burdened. His time has gone, why block the progress of others and lumber yourself with such debt. Mad
And a conversation about Europe 😂

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
That smacks of desperation. Upping someone's wages by £70k pw when he's in the decline years is madness. The guy has scored 6 goals this year and 2 assists so £200k pw is just mental. Before Vieira was appointed they had a load of players on big wages, way too much for the quality of said players, and they had a big clear out to rectify it. This just sends them back down the same path. I'd be wanting a lot more goals for £200k pw!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

not sure which is more bonkers, a deal of that size or that there's interest from PSG.

footballing world is going mad.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here