Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
...and Rashford for Sterling please.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Agree with Loftus-Cheek starting, Dele Alli not up to it at present for whatever reason.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
...and Rashford for Sterling please.

I know were you're coming from with this but have to disagree.
I think Sterling scares defenders because he is so quick, granted his second touch is normally a header but he creates space and stops teams playing a high line.
I also think Rashford currently offers more coming from the bench.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Seems a no-brainer to start Loftus Cheek (who can join us on loan if he wants!), only question is who drops out Sterling or Dele

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Stick with sterling. Defenders are scared of his pace, he wins free kicks and will come good

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I think Sterling scares defenders because he is so quick, granted his second touch is normally a header but he creates space and stops teams playing a high line.

I agree. Kane gets a lot more space when Sterling is playing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Southgate has a massive decision to make on Dell Alli.
I thought he was a passenger v Colombia.
Loftus-Cheek for me please (I can say that now he's officially returned to Chelsea!!!)

All about fitness IMO. Dele Alli is twice the player RLC is, and should 100% play, IF he is fit.

RLC looks more dangerous than he is. He carries the ball, which is good, and he's positive, which is good, but his decision making is utter gubbins. He never ACTUALLY creates anything.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Spot on. Sterling gets far more bad press than he deserves. If only he could learn to finish better.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sterling has been poor with the ball in the main, but causes defences all sorts of trouble without. His movement is very intelligent and creates space for others. Rashford has done nothing to suggest he deserves to start ahead of him, a lot of people got way, way too excited about one goal against a poor side in a friendly.

Dele seems a shadow at the moment. If still not fit, start Loftus-Cheek.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
He’s also got challenges with some of the players on bookings (including RLC). Henderson, Lingard and Walker the other 3. Could do with all 4 of them available for the semi if we get through.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I heard the Swedish team have been consulting with Ikea and will be playing a flat pack four, as we have traditionally found that quite tricky.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'd stick with Sterling and play RLC.

That said, most of all I will trust Southgate's judgement. If the initial selection doesn't to go to plan we have the change-up on the bench.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It's an interestin one. We know exactly how Sweden will play; hard working, well organised, 4-4-2, no flair but numerous chances created by set patterns of play. Ostensibly we'll outnumber them in midfield 3 to 2 but with Alli and Lingard I suspect it'll effectively be us that is outnumbered. In that sense Loftus-Cheek would help as he's a big, powerful player and more of a natural midfielder so would be able to help out Henderson.

The movement and interchanging of Alli, Lingard and Sterling however is far more likely to cause Sweden trouble than playing Loftus Cheek. It's something I only fully realised in the Colombia game that our bench offers no like for like replacements for that speed of thought and movement. It's a real shame that Oxlade Chamberlain got injured as he would have been absolutely ideal for this formation, same goes for Lallana and his lack of fitness.

So I guess it depends whether Southgate wants to go all out for the win from the start and then bring on Loftus Cheek/Dier/Delph in the second half to (hopefully) see out the game but risk it going to extra time without some of our most potent attacking threats or if he wants to start solid and then bring on more attacking midfielders.

I couldn't have imagined saying this 6-12 months ago but Oxlade Chamberlain is a huge miss for England. He could have brought so much to the squad.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here