Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Another Problem

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
It always pays to actually TEST components before throwing money away replacing perfectly good parts.
I appreciate not everyone (your son) will have access to test equipment, or indeed knowledge, that I personally have accumalated after actually doing the job for 30 years, but you DIYers really frustrate me.
You don’t watch a YouTube video or google something and then become a white goods engineer/electrician etc.
You throw money away, nause it right up, leave it potentionally DANGEROUS, then expect professionals to bail you out.
I despair.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Just a thought but wouldn't a Corgi registered fitter be able to help?

Are you on a wind-up, or just trying to confuse BG even more. Corgi is gas - Confederation of registered GAS installers,

I would favour, though, the calling in the experts. Our oven stopped working half way through cooking a chicken a few days ago. Called someone out to look at it - took a few days but we decided we could do without an oven - and when he checked it out, confirmed there is nothing wrong with it, so it's probably the wiring to it. Cost us £60, but at least we know where we stand, when our first reaction could well have been just to order a new oven, because the existing one is quite old.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Are you on a wind-up, or just trying to confuse BG even more. Corgi is gas - Confederation of registered GAS installers,

I would favour, though, the calling in the experts. Our oven stopped working half way through cooking a chicken a few days ago. Called someone out to look at it - took a few days but we decided we could do without an oven - and when he checked it out, confirmed there is nothing wrong with it, so it's probably the wiring to it. Cost us £60, but at least we know where we stand, when our first reaction could well have been just to order a new oven, because the existing one is quite old.

I thought Corgi didn’t exist anymore

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It always pays to actually TEST components before throwing money away replacing perfectly good parts.
I appreciate not everyone (your son) will have access to test equipment, or indeed knowledge, that I personally have accumalated after actually doing the job for 30 years, but you DIYers really frustrate me.
You don’t watch a YouTube video or google something and then become a white goods engineer/electrician etc.
You throw money away, nause it right up, leave it potentionally DANGEROUS, then expect professionals to bail you out.
I despair.

But without these diy'ers that you profess to find so frustrating, would many of you professionals have a job?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
We have a Hotpoint Ultimate Cooker with fan assisted oven and the fan needed replacing. We bought one from E Spares and son fitted it. However it doesnt work so son wants to check the wiring is correct. Anybody know how I can obtain or down load a wiring diagram or would standard electrician be able to find the problem? E spares do not have them so suggested I contact Hotpoint who were as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Hot point say that is not available but they will send an engineer out the cost being £135.

I have tried google but my PC will not allow any of the sites to be accessible.

Any advice would be gratefully received as again google has mixed reaction and views as to whether the oven can be used with the fan not working.

What would you do if you had a painful knee? Would son take a photo of it, remove the knee cap and put in a new one. Then expect NSC to comment on why it’s facing the wrong way.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

I have no idea why but this image sprung to mind....

download.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yesterday he thought a double socket was illegal, today the fool thinks he going to be able to read a wiring schematic :facepalm:

I must put you right on both points.

(1) I asked if a double plug behind the fridge freezer was considered accessible and therefore legal The eledctricians boss agreed with me and decided it wasnt so made him move it. Which answered my query
(2) My son is a competant jobbing builder and able to do most things but only hasa basic knowledge of electricity. He was able to replace the fan but wanted to check the wiring to ensure that he had put it back as it was I was never going to attempt to read a wiring diagram.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I despair.

The replacing of the fan was very simple as per the inbstructions given us by E Spares and I assume that they test that the components they sell actually work. The reason it had to be replaced was because it was making a noise similar to a water pump bearings going on a car, a rattle.. It had nothing to do with the power and we expect the answer to be that a wire has been attached incorrectly or not attached at all hence wanted a wiring diagram to check I am not sure what a standard electrician would have in the way of meters etc to check the power etc.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The fan will be controlled via a thermostat and is probably protected by a thermal fuse which may or may not be integral in the fan either of these items could be the problem assuming the connections made by your son are good and to be honest it's only two wires so not to difficult all diagrams are easily obtained free on line just type in Hotpoint and model number

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The fan will be controlled via a thermostat and is probably protected by a thermal fuse which may or may not be integral in the fan either of these items could be the problem assuming the connections made by your son are good and to be honest it's only two wires so not to difficult all diagrams are easily obtained free on line just type in Hotpoint and model number

I tried that with Hotpoint and all they would allow me to download was a User Manual so I phoned and they said wiring diagrrams are only available to their employed engineers/technicians. There were about 5 wires attached to the fan hence son taking a photo to ensure the correct colour went to the correct connection.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
A couple of reflections:

1. The Omsung tryping feature is working well.

2. This thread is pure sport, as you have an electrician in the guise of your son’s mate turning up later and he will be able to tell you right there and then whether or not he can do anything with this and what to do if he can’t.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here