Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Reasons we will beat Sweden (in one sentence).

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
So? What's wrong with a bit of escapism, a bit of a feelgood vibe? Do you stand at the airport and tell people not to enjoy their holidays as all their problems will still be there when they get back?

There's nothing wrong with a bit of escapism. The point of the original quote was genuinely about making sure people have enough to eat (panem/bread) and are entertained (Circensem) to distract them from what the politicians are doing. The phrase was originally coined by Juvenal, two if whose Satires I studied when I did A-level Latin at good old Worthing High School for Boys.

....... And I am not trying to say anyone is trying to distract anyone else in dear old GB at the moment.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
There's nothing wrong with a bit of escapism. The point of the original quote was genuinely about making sure people have enough to eat (panem/bread) and are entertained (Circensem) to distract them from what the politicians are doing. The phrase was originally coined by Juvenal, two if whose Satires I studied when I did A-level Latin at good old Worthing High School for Boys.

....... And I am not trying to say anyone is trying to distract anyone else in dear old GB at the moment.
I know the quote. Didn't the Roman government try and keep the people happy by giving away free bread and staging huge spectacles? I think you're giving Mrs May too much credit if you think she organised this! (That's not meant as a serious comment btw, I'm sure you don't think she's responsible)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here