Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Maradona and Colombian Manager both slam England...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Radamel Falcao: "The referee only spoke English, some bias was certain."

Alternative wording: "the referee only spoke the language all referees are required to speak for taking charge of a World Cup match"

Falcao is probably lucky the ref only spoke English - he’d have been sent off for calling him ‘triple hijo de puta’ or something to his face if he’d understood it

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class

Alternative wording: "the referee only spoke the language all referees are required to speak for taking charge of a World Cup match"

Sure, and as I said, no bias was present as far as I can see. But it would have been more sensible to appoint someone who spoke both languages, which would have left no room for these childish complaints from the likes of Falcao.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sure, and as I said, no bias was present as far as I can see. But it would have been more sensible to appoint someone who spoke both languages, which would have left no room for these childish complaints from the likes of Falcao.

Falcao can speak perfectly good English. I suspect the team are trying to protect themselves from repercussions back in Colombia, given past circumstances.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
But it would have been more sensible to appoint someone who spoke both languages

The problem is, you're looking for a person who can understand English, Spanish and Harry Kane. I'm not sure such an individual exists.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Maradonna is an irrelevance in the matter, why even bother reading his opinion (i havent).

but the manager... how can he make the comments with a straight face? seriously, if your players have ben fouling and harassing the ref every decision, dont draw attention to that behaviour by saying the opposition did this, especially when they didnt (much).

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Maradonna is an irrelevance in the matter, why even bother reading his opinion (i havent).

but the manager... how can he make the comments with a straight face? seriously, if your players have ben fouling and harassing the ref every decision, dont draw attention to that behaviour by saying the opposition did this, especially when they didnt (much).

I get the feeling the manager is trying to deflect the blame to save his skin, literally. Evidently the Colombian players that missed penalties have already received death threats, which with Colombia’s past history from 1994 must be worrying!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Falcao only seemed to speak Hysterics..anyway ,,we won they lost and Argentina are out ..so they are an irrelevance

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Last edited:

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

The ref can speak Spanish apparently

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
From Southgate himself:

"Maybe we are getting a bit smarter. Maybe we are now playing some of our game by the rules the rest of the world are playing."

I read the same quote and thought "finally". In general I actually agree with you - if I was in charge of FIFA I would instruct the refs to use the dissent law (which already exists) properly - ie ANY dissent or backchat is a yellow (would see a lot of sendings off but they'd soon get the message) and I would instruct the VAR refs to inform the ref of any diving and that would be an instant red. However, until I become the head of FIFA Southgate is absolutely right - we can't keep playing by some Victiorian ideals while everyone else pushes the boundaries around us, we have to compete on a level playing field.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maradona is a flake and a shit - but we all knew that already. The other bloke - whoever he is - is ding his best to act like one.

Just a thought on VAR and how to improve it: what about an automatic and compulsory yellow for any player - or member of the coaching staff - making that TV screen gesture? Automatic red for second offence; the authorities should make it an absolute that VAR is not something that players are allowed to appeal for.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
No leg to stand on given Colombia's antics obviously, but I have to say I wasn't a fan of some of our antics. Henderson in particular doing a Neymar-lite impression was a bit sad to see - we haven't really been like that in the past, which is something I've been proud of. The diving and playacting at this World Cup is the worst I can ever remember it being - and it's something that really puts me off football sometimes.

I don’t think the diving and play acting has been any worse but the crowding of referees, the asking for var and cards could be stamped out in a couple of seasons if FIFA had the guts to do it. Just suddenly bringing more yellows and reds in would result in games being abandoned the way players are carrying on at present I would think, but on a practical level retrospective action will eventually curtail it. I can’t think of another sport offhand that would allow the amount of blatant cheating by failing to follow the moral codes as well as the laws of the game like in this World Cup. It’s too great a game to have to continually be talking about this behaviour.

For instance I think the Argentinians are usually the sneaky and sometimes downright nastiest lot around but the Pumas in Rugby Union are no worse than the other rugby playing nations.

It CAN be sorted out by FIFA. We can certainly learn from Rugby on this front.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Bloody wonderful someone else is blaming the other side and for once it’s not us clutching at straws to why we lost. Enjoy every minute of their pain. Seldom has a side deserved it as much as them.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
As always, actions speak louder than words. Southgate's actions at the end of the penalties demonstrate that he is a cut above and I'm proud that he is leading this team.

Attachments

• uk-44715244.png
    uk-44715244.png
    316.3 KB · Views: 167

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
England were certainly having a crack at the darker arts of football and long may it continue.

The ref was weak, the headbutt should have been a red and more players should have been booked for surrounding him on numerous occasions.

What England did in terms of going down easily pales into insignificance when compared to the antics of the Colombians.

Had the ref done the decent job that these two idiots are asking for, Colombia would not have had 11 players on the pitch to get their equaliser and play extra time.

Pair of muppets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here