Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Did you think "we've lost now" when Henderson's penalty was saved?

Did you think "we've lost now" when Henderson's penalty was saved?

• Yes, i thought we were out

Votes: 175 78.8%
  • No, I still believed that it was coming home

Votes: 40 18.0%
  • I didn't watch it

Votes: 7 3.2%

• Total voters

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Thought we were gone.

When Dier scored, ran to the bottom of the garden, picked up a football and smashed it into the kids goal net

I ran round my living room screaming in to cushion as if I had woken the kids, my other half would have ensured I wasn't in a fit state to watch the Sweden game!

I did feel incredibly emotional afterwards. It seemed like years and many tournaments of penalty frustration were let out at that point! I haven't felt that emotional about a game since, well May 4th and the Man Utd game!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We wrestled back momentum in the 2nd half of ET after looking like we were gone in the 1st half of ET. But yes, I accepted it at that point. Which left me feeling so odd after, as I had already made my peace with being out. Still feel a bit odd now.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Yes, but I’m so happy for him as he wouldn’t have deserved all the rubbish he would have received.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I said to the guy next to me before the shootout, "If Kane scores his, we win, if he misses, we don't have a hope."

For some reason, the pessimist inside me decided to keep quiet and I firmly thought that we would do it as soon as Kane popped another one in the back of the net.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not me. I thought the Colombian would hit the wood work with the very next spot kick, and that Trippier would haul us level. I also predicted Pickford would save the next one after that one-handed and that Dier would stroke home the winning penalty for England.

So you see, even once Henderson had his pen saved, I knew we'd be fine and I was proven correct as always. Hope this helps.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
No. Football doesn't let you off that easily. It's building up to a bigger fall. :lol:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Not me. I thought the Colombian would hit the wood work with the very next spot kick, and that Trippier would haul us level. I also predicted Pickford would save the next one after that one-handed and that Dier would stroke home the winning penalty for England.

So you see, even once Henderson had his pen saved, I knew we'd be fine and I was proven correct as always. Hope this helps.

So, the highlights showed the same result as the live game?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I still thought we'd be OK once they equalised, we're a better side than them and I thought we'd beat them in extra time. Once it went to penalties I was pretty sure we were going out, and once Henderson missed I was 100% sure. I still can't believe it actually happened.

Southgate had them so well set up for the shoot-out, they all looked confident, and every single penalty (including Henderson's) were decent. It is laughable to think now that previously once we'd got to that stage the manager would ask who fancied taking one, and we hadn't practised them. Utter madness.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
My head said 'doomed', but, for some reason, my heart still said 'it'll be fine'
Which is strange as I am a natural born pessimist.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Went in the back garden for the first eight penalties ..too scary
My daughter left the room, and came back to see us score the winning penalty. People like you don't deserve our victory!

Ian Wright didn't even see it, he just started celebrating when Dicko did :lol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The penalties come along and I think I said out loud "lets just fvcking get this over with then". And that utter ****** Tyldesly
Please edit that Easy.

EDIT - I see the time has past to edit it, so have passed it to a mod

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think all of our other penalty shoot-out defeats have come after backs to the wall defensive performances to get through extra time, whereas we were the team in control of this game and we simply deserved it more.
We deserved it more against Argentina. Down to 10 men due the that **** Simeone diving and the ref buying it, and we were still the ones to score in extra time (disallowed).

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I knew Henderson wasn't going to score when he ball-juggled to the penalty spot, a sure sign of nerves... I was more surprised when the Colombian chap who came next clobbered the bar!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I felt all along that Pickford would save one as his record of saving them is quite good their player hitting the bar was a bonus. I was surprised Dier took the 5th kick and not Vardy.but my biggest worry, which became unfounded, was when Kane stepped up for our first kick as I thought that he would miss it having prerviously scored one but as I said my concern proved to be unfounded.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
We deserved it more against Argentina. Down to 10 men due the that **** Simeone diving and the ref buying it, and we were still the ones to score in extra time (disallowed).
Was about to post the same thing. Was totally convinced we'd win that shoot out. We really didn't deserve to lose that game.

Re last night, I was 50/50 after the Henderson save. It's unusual for a team to score all the first five so I thought they'd probably miss one. But the pain of so many losses on penalties evened that out.

It still feels slightly unreal that we did it. The curse is broken.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It is laughable to think now that previously once we'd got to that stage the manager would ask who fancied taking one, and we hadn't practised them. Utter madness.
It made me angry even back then. Idiot pundits would 'explain' that there was no point as you couldn't re-create the pressure. ****ing idiots. When golfers try and knock in the winning put for the Ryder cup, there's a ton of pressure on them - does that mean they don't ****ing practice putting?

They develop ways of adding pressure to their training. And obviously that can be done with football too. And the practising should come at the end of a tiring training session (which thankfully it now does).

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I fancied Pickford to save one, so I wasn't completely in despair. Close to it though.

Why is it so physically painful to watch. Went to bed totally and physically drained in a way I have been with Brighton despite all of the ups and downs. I think it helps being at the match actually. A lot harder watching on the telly.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
my biggest worry, which became unfounded, was when Kane stepped up for our first kick as I thought that he would miss it having prerviously scored one but as I said my concern proved to be unfounded.
I didn't like him going up first, I wanted him to be 3rd or 4th. He's a brilliant penalty taker, and I thought if he misses, the rest of the team will feel they have no bloody chance of scoring.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here