Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Did you think "we've lost now" when Henderson's penalty was saved?

Did you think "we've lost now" when Henderson's penalty was saved?

• Yes, i thought we were out

Votes: 175 78.8%
  • No, I still believed that it was coming home

Votes: 40 18.0%
  • I didn't watch it

Votes: 7 3.2%

• Total voters

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yes I thought we'd lost, but it also looked as if we had been practising penalties. Even the one that was saved looked not too a bad penalty but a very good save.

bhaseeer

Aug 29, 2017
Thought we were out.....especially when I saw they were taking the first penalties in the shoot out - and scored the first.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
voted no, but not for the reason listed. I'm old enough to have seen plenty of penalty shootouts and know that out of the ten, normally more than 1 is missed, so if the stats played out that way, then it was not necessarily over.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I was the calmest I’d ever been in a penalty shoot out. Until the Hand of Jord did it’s bit. At which point I erupted !

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
When it went to penalties, I didn't think Pickford would make a save, but do a very good impression of Peter Shilton and just watch the ball hit the net, with our only chance being if a Colombian player put his penalty into the crowd.

Then when every England penalty taker after Kane step forward, I thought they weren't going to score.

Hopefully we won't need penalties in the next game(s)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
https://www.thestatszone.com/statistical-insight-into-penalty-shootouts-where-to-place-your-penalty

Penalties9.png

Quite an interesting table here up to and including Euro 2016, assuming its accurate - which I'm not entirely sure of, being as the headings of 'Taken' and 'Scored' at the top are quite clearly the wrong way round.

If its right, after last night we've now scored 27 out of 40 penalties in shootouts, so 67.5%. Flaky.

You certainly wouldn't want to go to pens against the Czechs though, would you.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I said with 15 minutes to go "my god it just like watching one of our home matches when we are 1-0 up with 15 to go"

First half of extra time I thought I was back at the Amex

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
I did think it was all over but wouldn't have missed the moment we won our first world cup penalty shoot out...

Now we need another first, first time to lift the cup in my lifetime...

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I wouldn't quite go as far as thinking that was the end, no chance, but close. The stress had been building for an hour, and I just wanted it over with. I didn't even celebrate when we won, I just shook.

I didn't want it to be over, because as long as it wasn't over, I still felt hope. I was dreading how shit the rest of the World Cup would be without us in it, especially since we were given such an amazingly favourable route to the final.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I thought we were well overdue a goalkeeper saving a penalty, but I thought it might be in sudden death.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I though we had blown it. I must also take this opportunity to apologise to Meg, my golden retriever, about all the bad language last night.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
A Coventry fan was standing in front of me when Henderson went up ' kin hell, he took one pen for us and missed it' before the keeper almost instantaneously saved it. At that point I just thought 'Here we go again' and contemplated taking my World cup bunting down on return from the pub. The subsequent turnaround made it all the sweeter and it's a long time since I've flicked the Vs at the telly. Very enjoyable.

Columbia were done at 1.21 on Betfair or 1/5 in old school terms. We were almost done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here