Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why bring on Dier?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You're too young to remember Carlton Palmer or Geoff Thomas then?

To be fair I am exactly the right age to remember them and you may have a point.

Not sure if it was him or Southgate tonight but in open play he looked like a rugby player that had been told to stand somewhere in the middle of the pitch and make a nuisance of himself. He completed ONE forward pass. One. We counted.

Call me old fashioned but I’d prefer we won in 90 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
The goalie was offering everyone to his right and making it so easy to score that side.

Henderson tried to double bluff him. Dier only just got it right .

Thank God for NSC

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Good penalty though

Wasn't really though, was it? Went in, but it was a nice height and nowhere near the corner. Most keepers would expect to save that pen if they went the right way.

However England actually win a shoot out :albion2::banana::O:D:wozza::cheers:punk::rock::laugh::ascarf::thumbsup::goal::vuvu::vuvu::vuvu:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Wasn't really though, was it? Went in, but it was a nice height and nowhere near the corner. Most keepers would expect to save that pen if they went the right way.

However England actually win a shoot out :albion2::banana::O:D:wozza::cheers:punk::rock::laugh::ascarf::thumbsup::goal::vuvu::vuvu::vuvu:

We got very lucky

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Absolutely the worst player I’ve seen in an a England shirt. My Spurs mates I’m watching it with physically winced when he came on.

Jesus Christ. Where to even start.

Andy Sinton. Michael Ricketts. James Ward-Prowse. Francis Jeffers. David Nugent. Russell Osman. Stuart Ripley. Seth Johnson. Jay Bothroyd. Gavin McCann. Kevin Davies. Rickie Lambert. Andy Gray (the Palace one). Jon Flanagan. Carl Jenkinson. Matt Jarvis. Russell Osman. Zat Knight. Jay Rodriguez.

I could go on?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
To be fair, you were right. He’s not a good enough midfielder at international level and that change effected us badly.

The lad’s got balls though, he showed fantastic character and I’m sure Southgate will learn from that.
I agree, and I'm sure some of the other 'Captain Hindsights' on here also really thought the same.. My heart sunk when he came on, and whilst he is patently not the worst-ever England player (see Edna's post #46), the poster who said he is 'Old England' got it spot on. He did absolutely nothing whilst he was on to make me think he was the right sub - until that very last kick.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
To be fair, you were right. He’s not a good enough midfielder at international level and that change effected us badly.

The lad’s got balls though, he showed fantastic character and I’m sure Southgate will learn from that.

Good post and correct IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013

Was thinking more in the circumstances and that it actually went in. Your right about the actual penalty once he went the right way and got a hand to it you would expect him to save it

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They equalised when before that they didn't have a hope in hell of scoring.

Haha

Are you trying to somehow pin THAT on Dier? ???

He was supposed to shield the back four so they didn't break us down. And they didn't. Their guy, hit an unbelievable speculative strike from 35 yards, that Pickford did amazingly well to deflect wide. Then Harry Maguire got beaten in the air from the resulting corner.

:shrug:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Are you trying to somehow pin THAT on Dier? ???

He was supposed to shield the back four so they didn't break us down. And they didn't. Their guy, hit an unbelievable speculative strike from 35 yards, that Pickford did amazingly well to deflect wide. Then Harry Maguire got caught beaten in the air from the resulting corner.

:shrug:

Not on Dier himself.

On the changing of the shape of the team in a game we had complete control of.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not on Dier himself.

On the changing of the shape of the team in a game we had complete control of.

... until about 70th min when they started to actually play football, some 10 min before Dier came on. was i the only one that noticed this?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Jesus Christ. Where to even start.

Andy Sinton. Michael Ricketts. James Ward-Prowse. Francis Jeffers. David Nugent. Russell Osman. Stuart Ripley. Seth Johnson. Jay Bothroyd. Gavin McCann. Kevin Davies. Rickie Lambert. Andy Gray (the Palace one). Jon Flanagan. Carl Jenkinson. Matt Jarvis. Russell Osman. Zat Knight. Jay Rodriguez.

I could go on?

In the cold light of day you may have a point, though there are some in that list (Knight, Flanagan) who I can't recall in a full England shirt at all. They certainly didn't play in a competitive game. I'm guessing 20 minutes in an obscure friendly. So, I'll amend to "one of the worst I've seen in an England shirt in a competitive tournament". Because he is.

When you're watching the game with two Spurs STHs and one of them hides behind the sofa when Dier comes on you know you're in trouble. Literally his first touch put us in trouble with a backwards pass even Stephens would have thought of as too safe. After that he blundered about like someone had made him a footballer by accident.

But then, to be fair, he had the balls to take the last penalty and score it. Only just, but he did. I still don't want to see him deployed again though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here