Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why bring on Dier?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
The bbc website has a player rater and you hope with the number of people voting any club etc bias gets evened out.

According to that there were 2 worst players than Dier, Sterling and Alli and then Vardy about the same as Dier.

Pretty much how I saw it but everyone has opinions.

I always know that whatever I think beorhthelm will think the opposite :)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The bbc website has a player rater and you hope with the number of people voting any club etc bias gets evened out.

According to that there were 2 worst players than Dier, Sterling and Alli and then Vardy about the same as Dier.

Bet he says the opposite :moo:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Sterling had another poor game. I've defended him before because Pep got, let's face it, fantastic results by playing him last season and he knows a thing or two about a player. Again this came up in conversation last night. What he brings is a little bit what Baldock brought to us in the Chapionship promotion season. His pace and the fact he drifts from no 10 to wide and back again creates the space for others to use. Last night Colombia were wise to this and they closed down the space in the middle, getting men behind the ball, taking Kane out of the game and acting extremely cynically. What people who vote in these BBC polls will remember is his comical lack of touch in the box on the left hand side which my granny could have controlled and crossed, rather than his work rate in the rest of the game.

Ali just didn't look fit.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Sterling had another poor game. I've defended him before because Pep got, let's face it, fantastic results by playing him last season and he knows a thing or two about a player. Again this came up in conversation last night. What he brings is a little bit what Baldock brought to us in the Chapionship promotion season. His pace and the fact he drifts from no 10 to wide and back again creates the space for others to use. Last night Colombia were wise to this and they closed down the space in the middle, getting men behind the ball, taking Kane out of the game and acting extremely cynically. What people who vote in these BBC polls will remember is his comical lack of touch in the box on the left hand side which my granny could have controlled and crossed, rather than his work rate in the rest of the game.

Ali just didn't look fit.

Sterling plays a different position for City, he's a proper winger. For England he's too central for my liking, to me he is a winger. I thought he did ok last night actually, worked incredibly hard and found some good positions that allowed Lingard and Dele to move in to space. He was almost trying too hard to do something on his own at times though. It's an old cliche but I really do think he just needs a goal and will then really fire. I would definitely stick with him for the next game.

Agree Dele didn't look fit. I would have played RLC last night anyway and I would certainly bring him in for Sweden, thought he was unlucky to be dropped.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
We won despite the substitutions not because of them. Dier was poor and his penalty was poor too, thankfully it went in!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
and his penalty was poor too, thankfully it went in!

Would it have looked poor if the goal keeper had gone the other way. Kane's penalty in the second half could be argued as being poor, if the keeper was an inch taller he would have saved it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Why bring on Dier? Why f***ing bring on f***ing Dier?

We've now got the worst player by a country mile on the pitch for the last 30 minutes.

Absolute gold, were you at the Leicester game and left early too?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Absolutely the worst player I’ve seen in an a England shirt. My Spurs mates I’m watching it with physically winced when he came on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The State of this :lolol:

He is not even the worst player to be called up this year.

I am sure lots wanted another DM on the pitch last night (me included) however it backfired as we started to drop deeper.

Plus he proved useful to drop in at CB.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Jesus Christ. Where to even start.

Andy Sinton. Michael Ricketts. James Ward-Prowse. Francis Jeffers. David Nugent. Russell Osman. Stuart Ripley. Seth Johnson. Jay Bothroyd. Gavin McCann. Kevin Davies. Rickie Lambert. Andy Gray (the Palace one). Jon Flanagan. Carl Jenkinson. Matt Jarvis. Russell Osman. Zat Knight. Jay Rodriguez.

I could go on?

This is the sort of negative attitude that just makes me sick. All of these boys, and Dier, are magnificent. We invented the game so any proud Englishman should be expected to lead us on to victory, and when it doesn't happen its all due to cheating referees, linesmen and opposition players. Fact.

That said, we'll never win anything with all those foreigners in the Premiership. How can our much more talented English youngsters hope to get a look in when the foreign-owned premiership clubs just buy in expensive foreigners without having to do all the special training that our home grown talent has benefitted from? It is frankly disgraceful. Its no wonder Dier is so poor, having spent nearly 15 years at Spurs, probably, starting as a schoolboy, while these foreigners are bought in, watching on like a sad child looking wistfully into the sweet shop window at toffee and fudge that he knows he'll never have the money to buy.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
This is the sort of negative attitude that just makes me sick. All of these boys, and Dier, are magnificent. We invented the game so any proud Englishman should be expected to lead us on to victory, and when it doesn't happen its all due to cheating referees, linesmen and opposition players. Fact.

That said, we'll never win anything with all those foreigners in the Premiership. How can our much more talented English youngsters hope to get a look in when the foreign-owned premiership clubs just buy in expensive foreigners without having to do all the special training that our home grown talent has benefitted from? It is frankly disgraceful. Its no wonder Dier is so poor, having spent nearly 15 years at Spurs, probably, starting as a schoolboy, while these foreigners are bought in, watching on like a sad child looking wistfully into the sweet shop window at toffee and fudge that he knows he'll never have the money to buy.

You will get pulled up for Premiership, pedant warning :wink:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Jesus Christ. Where to even start.

Andy Sinton. Michael Ricketts. James Ward-Prowse. Francis Jeffers. David Nugent. Russell Osman. Stuart Ripley. Seth Johnson. Jay Bothroyd. Gavin McCann. Kevin Davies. Rickie Lambert. Andy Gray (the Palace one). Jon Flanagan. Carl Jenkinson. Matt Jarvis. Russell Osman. Zat Knight. Jay Rodriguez.

I could go on?

Good game, good game (like how you've included Russell Osman twice as well).

Scott Parker - 18 caps
Dennis Wise - 21 caps
Wes Brown - 23 caps
Phil Jones - 26 caps (N/O)
Stewart Downing - 35 caps
Danny Welbeck - 40 caps
David Batty - 42 caps
Phil "just shepherd him out!" Neville - 59 (yes 59) caps.

So not just one cap wonders. We've actually have some seriously poor players who have played a LOT for England.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You will get pulled up for Premiership, pedant warning :wink:

*cough* obviously deliberate *cough*.....slightly askance at the England player bashing....just got a nibble with similer absurd hyperbole on another thread. Apologies to the bored - I simply couldn't resist.

dcae34780f246e4480473cdd33a814f427283eec_hq.gif

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Absolute gold, were you at the Leicester game and left early too?

Not really. He scored the winning penalty but it only went to penalties because we fell to bits when he came on.

The State of this :lolol:

He is not even the worst player to be called up this year.

I am sure lots wanted another DM on the pitch last night (me included) however it backfired as we started to drop deeper.

Plus he proved useful to drop in at CB.

So I might have had a :drink: or two. :lolol:

That said he's consistantly brought nothing to England and brought nothing until the shoot out last night either. He's SO negative. He makes Stephens look like Vicente. What did you think of his first touch last night?

It was amusing that I was watching it with a mixture of Spurs and Brighton fans and the Spurs fans were far more worried about the substitution than the Brighton ones. Then i open NSC at the end of the shootout and, lo and behold, there's a thread about what a poor substitution and player he is. The only other player to have this happen is Sterling. I can't remember another England player being singled out as awful on these pages for a very long time. And he did look like some big kid who'd turned up by accident.

That said I gave him kudos for the pen and still do. That took real balls. But he brings NOTHING to the set up that Southgate wants to play.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Shouldn’t have gone to extra time let alone pens. Shocking tactical decision! Either Dier or Henderson but not both.

I only watched the highlights for our first two games but considered the Belgian match would be worth watching live, however when the two managers decided to play weak sides i regretted it.
The match against Columbia looked as if we had two well balanced sides producing some entertaining football our opponents instead of showing their football skills time and again went for cynical fouls and bad mouthing the refere which should have resulted in two red cards. Extra time was not welcome but i felt we would finish stronger but i could not believe
the way we failed to press them which led to a penalty shootout at this point i switched the TV off.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here