Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Official Match Thread: England v Colombia

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But Colombia haven't faced anyone decent yet. Switzerland held Brazil to a draw, Sweden nearly beat Germany (Sweden showed they are capable of being negative and causing their own downfall) and Sweden stuffed a decent Mexican team.

All fair points. But, James (yes, I know) / Quintado / Cuadrado / Falcao is attacking threat MILES above what either of the others pose.

On the flip side, they are the least organized at the back, of the three sides, so anything could happen...

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I am EXCITED!

I shall be staying up until 3 a.m to watch our brave heroes swashbuckle their way to the the next round.*

*Or freeze like we did against Iceland. Or just be plain shit like we were against Germany the last time we were in a world cup knock out match.**

** Just so long as it's not like the Italy quarter final in Euro 2012 which was one of the most boring games I've ever seen, defending a 1-1 for 75minutes, then all 30 minutes of extra time before the inevitable defeat. And that was Hodgson's best tournament... Why couldn't we have just conceded a second goal in normal time and got it over with?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Immensely looking forward to it here on the Isle of Arran with last week's indigenous Panamanian community magically converted into Columbians! Great banter though and there are a load of Scots here who genuinely want England to do well, although not necessarily to win the WC :).

They have St Austell's Liquid Sunshine on draught at the pub next to my cottage and it will be flowing well tonight, guaranteed.

Come on England!

TNBA

TTF

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
On the Scottish ABE thing...

I was unfortunate enough to be working in Glasgow through June of 2002, and had to watch the fantastic victory over Argentina, with one English mate, in a bar full of bitter Scots in Argentina shirts. 90 minutes of anti-English abuse shouted at the screen constantly. Plenty of not-quite-friendly banter aimed our way through the game.

In a kebab shop that night, some pissed up Jocko stumbled across to us, after hearing our accents, and we thought 'here we go again', but were surprised to hear "Ah hope Englund wen yer next game, too" (against Nigeria)

"Oh. Cheers"

"Aye. Ah hate they f***ing ni**ers, even more than ah hate Englund"

"Oh. Righto"

Lovely city. Lovely people

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK

I was unfortunate enough to be working in Glasgow through June of 2002, and had to watch the fantastic victory over Argentina, with one English mate, in a bar full of bitter Scots in Argentina shirts. 90 minutes of anti-English abuse shouted at the screen constantly. Plenty of not-quite-friendly banter aimed our way through the game.

In a kebab shop that night, some pissed up Jocko stumbled across to us, after hearing our accents, and we thought 'here we go again', but were surprised to hear "Ah hope Englund wen yer next game, too" (against Nigeria)

"Oh. Cheers"

"Aye. Ah hate they ****in ni**ers"

"Oh. Righto"

That it certainly is......

TNBA

TTF

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I had a dream last night that Jesse Lingard is introduced in the Man Utd line up at the Amex as 'the player who learnt his trade at Brighton and now a world cup winner Jesse Lingard' at which point the entire ground erupts into a frenzy.

theroyal

May 11, 2014
All fair points. But, James (yes, I know) / Quintado / Cuadrado / Falcao is attacking threat MILES above what either of the others pose.

On the flip side, they are the least organized at the back, of the three sides, so anything could happen...

Kane will know all about D. Sanchez's weaknesses. If we keep it tight at the back and defend well, I think we'll win.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Or just be plain shit like we were against Germany the last time we were in a world cup knock out match.
Pretty sure we played well in that match, and were unlucky to lose after that nasty deflection off Paul Parker.

Oops, forgot about 2010, when the linesman knocked us out, and goal line technology had to be introduced.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Oh there would be more tears because the further England progress the more people would get to thinking winning is possible. And anyhow, I have said before. If it wasn't Colombia, I don't mind seeing England do well. Winning it then that's another matter for any Scotsman

Well obviously I can't speak for all English people but I certainly won't be shedding any more tears. Sure they'll be more 'if onlys' if we get knocked out in the semis (same as there were in 1990), but even if some people DO cry more they'll soon dry their eyes as they'll know that reaching the semi-finals for only the 3rd time in our history will be a magnificent achievement for this young side.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
'Oooh, Colombia have 40k fans here'
'Oooh, they're so colourful, so noisy'
'Oooh, they're just so wonderful compared to England'
'Oooh, they outnumber England 500-1'

Tell you wot Colombia, we're gonna shut your noise. This is England now, not one of your banana republic neighbours. As the song goes, "It's nice, it's nice to know you're here...now **** off!"

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

"Oh. Cheers"

"Aye. Ah hate they f***ing ni**ers, even more than ah hate Englund"

"Oh. Righto"

That story can't be true.

Because not a single one of the Scots that it includes brings up "fookin' 1966".

In my experience, most English fans rarely if ever refer to 1966, whereas all Scots are utterly obsessed with it, banging on and on and on and on about it, in the most blatant example of pot-kettle-blackism ever.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Colombian pal just sent me this..............will send them over to console us if we lose apparently.

Colombia.jpg

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I may be in the minority here but I want Columbia to win as they have one of our own in the squad. Club over country every time in my mind

Stupid boy............and don't tell 'em your name Pike!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here