Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Official Match Thread: England v Colombia

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Two women presenters were talking about the game on a radio show here earlier and this is how it went.
Presenter 1. Who do you want to win the game tonight.
Presenter 2. Colombia.
Presenter 1. Why is that then ?
Presenter 2. Because I like to see that dance they do when they score a goal.
:facepalm:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
On the Scottish ABE thing...

I was unfortunate enough to be working in Glasgow through June of 2002, and had to watch the fantastic victory over Argentina, with one English mate, in a bar full of bitter Scots in Argentina shirts. 90 minutes of anti-English abuse shouted at the screen constantly. Plenty of not-quite-friendly banter aimed our way through the game.

In a kebab shop that night, some pissed up Jocko stumbled across to us, after hearing our accents, and we thought 'here we go again', but were surprised to hear "Ah hope Englund wen yer next game, too" (against Nigeria)

"Oh. Cheers"

"Aye. Ah hate they f***ing ni**ers, even more than ah hate Englund"

"Oh. Righto"

Lovely city. Lovely people

I watched Scotchland lose to Peru in an Edinburgh pub in 78, I was very, very quite.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Pretty sure we played well in that match, and were unlucky to lose after that nasty deflection off Paul Parker.

Oops, forgot about 2010, when the linesman knocked us out, and goal line technology had to be introduced.
We were bloody awful in that 2010 game. The disallowed goal papered over the cracks. Mainly our shambolic defending.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We were bloody awful in that 2010 game. The disallowed goal papered over the cracks. Mainly our shambolic defending.
But it still should have been 2-2 at half time, and Germany's main skill was fitting teams on the break. Not sure how they'd have coped carelessly losing their lead.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
But it still should have been 2-2 at half time, and Germany's main skill was fitting teams on the break. Not sure how they'd have coped carelessly losing their lead.
Well we'll never know what might have happened of course but although 2-2 would have been the correct score, it wouldn't have been a correct representation of how good/bad the teams were in the first half.

Also important not to forget that we were only playing Germany because we failed to win a group containing Algeria, Slovenia and the USA.

We were shit.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

Absolutely agree, the way we played in that match they could have have given us a four goal start and the Germans would still have overtaken us.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Nerves kicking in now. I was supremely confident, now I'm expecting failure. Will know in the first twenty minutes whether we have turned up.

This is the most frustrating part for me. I just don't want "same old England". Anything else and I'm happy.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
'Oooh, Colombia have 40k fans here'
'Oooh, they're so colourful, so noisy'
'Oooh, they're just so wonderful compared to England'
'Oooh, they outnumber England 500-1'

Tell you wot Colombia, we're gonna shut your noise. This is England now, not one of your banana republic neighbours. As the song goes, "It's nice, it's nice to know you're here...now **** off!"

Have they upset you ? :)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
This is the most frustrating part for me. I just don't want "same old England". Anything else and I'm happy.

Pre tournament I would genuinely have been happy to lose to Brazil or Germany in the quarter finals. It would have felt like progress.

Now we have three potential Icelands lined up. I was at the Iceland game it was my lowest England supporting moment.

It is hard to see how any defeat other than the final is going to be a defeat with honour in the minds of many. Lose tonight and it is "same old England", which is frustrating because Colombia are not a bad team and we have a young and inexperienced side for which we all felt pre tournament was still a long way from the finished article.

Next world cup may be a different story.

But with the draw we have, we dare to dream....

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Think I will dig out this little charmer for the match tonight!

sourkrauts.png

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FFS people the game is on ITV...

...accept the forgone conclusion that is the score and move on with you life!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Just been to Tesco's to stock up, case of FOSTERS and some R Whites Lemonade for MY tops, I'm flying the FLAG and NOT drinking any FOREIGN muck.

I've just stuck my England Team greatest HITS CD on LOOP, 'This time we'll get it RIGHT' 'Back HOME (but not tonight obviously), World in MOTION, Footballs coming HOME , the lot of them. My NEIGHBOUR already moaning but who cares as he is a POLL and they're OUT

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here