Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Official Match Thread: England v Colombia

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We don't but frankly I think I'd almost rather he starts as he's clearly not fit.
How long do minor calf injuries take to get over?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
You would have been better off putting the money on Scotla....Oh hang on

The Scotland not qualifying ''back bite'' wears thin after a while. I am used to Scotland not qualifying after about 30 years of it.

Most Scots don't care. It just means that every time a World Cup comes around they have 31 chances of winning and next World Cup they will have 63 chances of winning

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Nerves kicking in now. I was supremely confident, now I'm expecting failure. Will know in the first twenty minutes whether we have turned up.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If I had to choose we get knocked out tonight or in the semi-final, I'd choose the latter. We don't expect to win anyway, and at least getting to the semi is progress for the team.

He hasn't even played the last two games.
How much are we talking here? Not enough for you to even notice I'm sure.

I could get at the least a very good holiday out of the winnings.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He won't start, even if he does he's not 100%.
"James Rodriguez's injury is not serious and he could be fit to face England in the last 16 of the World Cup, says Colombia manager Jose Pekerman."

Not convinced their manager would be telling us that if he was ok to play.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I could get at the least a very good holiday out of the winnings.
If they win the whole WC you mean? They're not going to do that anyway, so today's result won't affect your finances.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nerves kicking in now. I was supremely confident, now I'm expecting failure. Will know in the first twenty minutes whether we have turned up.
We might start well and lose, or start poorly and win. The football gods will make us suffer one way or another.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Are you sure?

Yes.

Obviously that doesn't necessarily follow that a (potential) QF would turn out to be easier - any of the three sides COULD beat us.

But yes - from watching every one of the nine games they've played in so far, Colombia are the best side of the three.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Nah that's not true. I would rather England get to the semi final and get knocked out there as opposed to this round. That's a true Scotsman coz there would be even more tears. I jest..................Don't want England to win it but I like to see them do well.

I'm definitely ''Team Colombia'' because of Izquierdo and the fact that I have a bet on them.

There really really won't be any more tears if we get knocked out in the semi-final. Before the WC started only the most optimistic thought we'd get that far. And in order to get there we'd have to win not one but TWO knockout games. That'll give us more than enough good memories for our tournament's highlights reel - especially given the low base we started from

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Like my Scots mate said when asked, 'who do you support ?'
His reply was, 'Scotland and anyone who is playing England'.
This can also back fire, I was in hospital after an accident years ago, the World Cup was on and it was when the Irish had their good cup run under Jack Charlton.
In the middle of the night a patient was brought in covered in blood, bashed to bits and unconscious.
Turns out it was a Scotsman who had decided to go to a bar to watch the game where England got knocked out, wearing the opposition's football shirt.
Not condoning it, but he's obviously not the sharpest tool.
When he was able to speak, or should I say mumble, I asked what possessed him and he said he did it for a joke, I don't think he would do it again somehow.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's been a constant niggle that keeps flaring up. It's not from the last game.
Oh ok, thanks. Sounds like he won't be ready then.

Although they won without him before.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Rodriguez has been nursing a thigh problem and it looks like he could only be fit enough for the bench tonight.

The Colombian media don’t expect the attacking superstar, who is currently on loan at Bayern Munich from Real Madrid, to feature.

El Tiempo say Rodriguez will have medical and fitness tests all day ahead of the 7pm kick-off.

But they don’t expect the midfielder to be able to start.

Brighton’s Jose Izquierdo could come into the side to replace Rodriguez.

So this is how it happens.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But yes - from watching every one of the nine games they've played in so far, Colombia are the best side of the three.
But Colombia haven't faced anyone decent yet. Switzerland held Brazil to a draw, Sweden nearly beat Germany (Sweden showed they are capable of being negative and causing their own downfall) and Sweden stuffed a decent Mexican team.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
There really really won't be any more tears if we get knocked out in the semi-final. Before the WC started only the most optimistic thought we'd get that far. And in order to get there we'd have to win not one but TWO knockout games. That'll give us more than enough good memories for our tournament's highlights reel - especially given the low base we started from

Oh there would be more tears because the further England progress the more people would get to thinking winning is possible. And anyhow, I have said before. If it wasn't Colombia, I don't mind seeing England do well. Winning it then that's another matter for any Scotsman

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
What could possibly go wrong?

Capture.JPG

2 - 0 to the good guys

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here