Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Railway flustercuck

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Second day in London this week, and guess what......

Checked app, nearly everything cancelled at London Bridge, so went across town to Victoria in plenty of time to catch 19:16 Littlehampton/Eastbourne train. Met with loads of delays and cancellations on the board at Victoria.

Left 15 mins late, stopped outside Vic for a while then driver announces it’ll be slow because they’ve let an empty service in front of it. Train is 8 coaches not 12 because they ‘lost’ 4 coaches, so now just Clapham where there was a huge scrum because not everyone can get on due to lack of space. Currently trundling at about 15mph.

You utter, utter tuckfards.

Oh Christ. I'm back in the office tomorrow. Great. *crosses self*

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Second day in London this week, and guess what......

Checked app, nearly everything cancelled at London Bridge, so went across town to Victoria in plenty of time to catch 19:16 Littlehampton/Eastbourne train. Met with loads of delays and cancellations on the board at Victoria.

Left 15 mins late, stopped outside Vic for a while then driver announces it’ll be slow because they’ve let an empty service in front of it. Train is 8 coaches not 12 because they ‘lost’ 4 coaches, so now just Clapham where there was a huge scrum because not everyone can get on due to lack of space. Currently trundling at about 15mph.

You utter, utter tuckfards.

They do appear to have an uncanny knack for saving their tuckfardness for the weekday rush hour. Got train from Brighton to Victoria on Sunday. Good as gold. Ditto on the way back. Today got 10:18 Brighton to Victoria. Again good as gold. Same on the 16:40 back. It's got to the stage where it's a priority to get out of town before 5pm on a weekday when it all invariably turns to shit. It's beyond pathetic, it really is.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They do appear to have an uncanny knack for saving their tuckfardness for the weekday rush hour. Got train from Brighton to Victoria on Sunday. Good as gold. Ditto on the way back. Today got 10:18 Brighton to Victoria. Again good as gold. Same on the 16:40 back. It's got to the stage where it's a priority to get out of town before 5pm on a weekday when it all invariably turns to shit. It's beyond pathetic, it really is.

Think you’re right.....presumably much lower volume of trains and passengers on the move, so less likely that a minor problem will cause such a dramatic effect across the network which during the week is presumably scheduled to be absolutely at the capacity limit.

According to the driver (just now) there have been ‘multiple fatalities’ on the line so if this is the case I retract my comments/irritation (for today anyway).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
nationalisation will fix it all, right? including the signals?

Don't be fooled by the tory pretending to be the most stupid doctrinaire Wolfie Smith old labour clown possible. It's called trolling. And totally inappropriate on this thread.

I can give a perspective from the view of someone who commutes from Victoria (or Saint Pancreas) down the north Kent line. Our timetable has been revised. The result is fewer trains and an earlier start for me. There has been a dispute between cleaners and the company for months resulting in toilets being not cleaned. As a result whole trains arrive with no working toilet (not cleaned, so locked). That does not work for someone with diverticulosis. On days where I have a non-negotiable appointment I have to dose up with mebeverine and hope for the best. Fortunately there are far fewer people living on the North Kent coast than down B&H way, but the same policy is in action: cut services, make trains as full as possible, take the money from a captive customer base, and **** everything. 'Thank you for chosing our servce today' - It isn't a choice - driving is impossible and there are no other rail links, you syrupy mouthpiece for a tossweasel conglomerate.

As for whoever says it is our fault for working in London, London is the only place in the south east that has a university that researches and teaches the stuff I do. That is what you get with a free market. I suspect it is marginally better than a 'planned' (aka anything from a German through French to Chinese style) economy, and we are the most free people in the world, but I'd like to see some of the 'freedom' appropriated from these rail franchises; there is a bit of a difference betwee a free market and a licece to print money as a consequence of a natural and immutable monopoly.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I changed at the Heath today and had to ****ing stand to Victoria as the one I was meant to catch got cancelled.

Be warned Charlie Horton you will pay for this disobedience

Jul 7, 2003
I changed at the Heath today and had to ****ing stand to Victoria as the one I was meant to catch got cancelled.

Be warned Charlie Horton you will pay for this disobedience

Not that he is there any more.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Some strong words from Peter Kyle on Facebook tonight.....

https://www.facebook.com/179475262226184/posts/991851424321893/

Two things it reminded me of..

Remember two years ago when it was completely shit and GTR/Southern kept apologising and telling us it will be bad but worth it because everything will be better in 2018 -which at the time seemed such a long way off - oh yeah it now is 2018 and it’s WORSE!

Remember Southern/GTR/NR being given was it 10 or 20 million to sort out some root cause problems - well what happened to that?

How do they get away with it???

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Some strong words from Peter Kyle on Facebook tonight.....

https://www.facebook.com/179475262226184/posts/991851424321893/

Two things it reminded me of..

Remember two years ago when it was completely shit and GTR/Southern kept apologising and telling us it will be bad but worth it because everything will be better in 2018 -which at the time seemed such a long way off - oh yeah it now is 2018 and it’s WORSE!

Remember Southern/GTR/NR being given was it 10 or 20 million to sort out some root cause problems - well what happened to that?

How do they get away with it???

Captive market with no option/alternative..........

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Kyle is an idiot telling people to sit in 1st class , hope he pays their fines

Been declassified during peak hours on Thameslink at the moment anyway......and on loads of trains on an ad-hoc basis due to the overcrowding

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Been declassified during peak hours on Thameslink at the moment anyway

I know that but Kyle is telling anyone to sit in 1st class , bit like telling anyone to go in Tesco and nick some beer. An MP should not suggest breaking the law . I expect he will back track on that once a few get prosecuted or fined .

He’s part of the problem anyway , too busy digging out the unions instead of the real problem makers

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I know that but Kyle is telling anyone to sit in 1st class , bit like telling anyone to go in Tesco and nick some beer. An MP should not suggest breaking the law . I expect he will back track on that once a few get prosecuted or fined .

He’s part of the problem anyway , too busy digging out the unions instead of the real problem makers

Which does highlight one of the problems with railway industry and other ex public sector industries. Their complete "other worldliness" which has nothing to do with a private v public debate.

Highly unionised but defenders of a class system and their completely archaic laws.

Rather than acting as servants of the public (or supplying their customers) the rhetoric reminds of a private members club.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Looking fun this morning again!!!

aaaa.JPG

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Thank **** I can work from home. Good luck anybody attempting a London commute today. Even if they clear the issue, the knock on effect is going to ruin getting home tonight as well I'd imagine.

A fault with the signalling system at Streatham Common means all lines are blocked through the station.

Major disruption can be expected to Gatwick Express and Southern journeys to and from London Victoria, as well as Thameslink services through Streatham, with delays of up to 60 minutes, alterations and cancellations to journeys expected.

We anticipate disruption will continue until the end of service.

Customer Advice:
You are strongly advised NOT to travel via London Victoria this morning. This incident also affects Thameslink services between Luton and Wimbledon which have been suspended until further notice.

National Rail

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
signal failure at Streatham. so most the local urban services will be knackered as well.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Rearranging meetings to conference calls or other days as I type. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here