Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast
    Members

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Madafwo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't want to get into any arguments as I am just trying to give a bit of insight into things and this isn't aimed at you TB, or anyone on here, but Maria Caulfield is using GTR as a scapegoat here as she knows it is what people want to hear. If you look at the reasoning behind the issues yesterday it looks as if they were mainly Network Rail issues (signalling, points, possible issue with the 3rd rail at Victoria), not GTR. The only one that would probably be down to GTR would be the brake issue. That wouldn't excuse a lack of information but having worked on the front line before I sometimes found the best information was on Twitter, or using third party sources like Real Time Trains or sussextrains.co.uk as the last 2 are automated so don't rely on someone sending e-mails, tweets or answering the phone.

I can't comment on the previous months of poor service and don't want to get drawn into another GTR bashing, I can only speak for myself but I come in and do the best I can to ensure my part is done to provide a service.
    Great points. Like all work places I have no doubt GTR and Network Rail are full of well intended individuals, working hard to do the right thing. To me the chronic problem is the leadership, both strategically and the company culture they set - this comes from the top. GTR, rightly, get bashed as they are the customer facing end of a supply chain. Many other companies deal with far more complex supply chains but take accountability for this end to end. You can’t imagine Tesco say bleating on endlessly about their farmers and distributors if they ran out of milk every other day without seizing hold of the problem in partnership with their suppliers and doing something about it. The difference of course is GTR effectively have a monopoly and we can’t vote with our feet - although personally I am moving closer and closer to two days/week commuting - trouble is this does nt mke it significantly cheaper and hit their income unless PAYG a season ticketing comes in.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

4 Not allowed!
      I don't want to get into any arguments as I am just trying to give a bit of insight into things and this isn't aimed at you TB, or anyone on here, but Maria Caulfield is using GTR as a scapegoat here as she knows it is what people want to hear. If you look at the reasoning behind the issues yesterday it looks as if they were mainly Network Rail issues (signalling, points, possible issue with the 3rd rail at Victoria), not GTR. The only one that would probably be down to GTR would be the brake issue. That wouldn't excuse a lack of information but having worked on the front line before I sometimes found the best information was on Twitter, or using third party sources like Real Time Trains or sussextrains.co.uk as the last 2 are automated so don't rely on someone sending e-mails, tweets or answering the phone.

I can't comment on the previous months of poor service and don't want to get drawn into another GTR bashing, I can only speak for myself but I come in and do the best I can to ensure my part is done to provide a service.
      Maria Caulfield is totally and absolutely useless. She toes the party line until it affects her, then, as you rightly say, she then says things to try and appease her constituents, who aren't fooled anymore.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      When people are rude to you, they reveal who they are, not who you are.

0 Not allowed!

Appreciate the insight - always good to hear from those inside - @Deadly Danson provides regular insightful stuff too.

As for Caulfield trying to curry some favour with a few constituents by tweeting that she'll 'be raising the matter' - she can ****ing do one. It's hardly new news.
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

5 Not allowed!
      It was obvious to anyone. Wilkinson and the DfT wanted to pick a fight with the unions in the attempt to destroy terms and conditions to make more profit as the franchises over bid for them. You were all told this would happen but were happy to blame the unions instead of the real culprits and now you’re reaping what you’ve sown.
      The problem now is that anyone who ran the railway and knew how things worked and how to run a service with limited resources have all gone so don’t expect anything to get better any time soon

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
      It was obvious to anyone. Wilkinson and the DfT wanted to pick a fight with the unions in the attempt to destroy terms and conditions to make more profit as the franchises over bid for them. You were all told this would happen but were happy to blame the unions instead of the real culprits and now you’re reaping what you’ve sown.
      The problem now is that anyone who ran the railway and knew how things worked and how to run a service with limited resources have all gone so don’t expect anything to get better any time soon
      What did we all sow ? All I've done is bought a ticket and turned hope in the faint hope an advertised service might get me where I need to go, within something like the time expected. It's been shit for 30 years (I can't comment before then as I wasn't a 'customer'), Tory, Labour, unions, no unions, nationalised, privatised.
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"
      A. Virgo, Football Genius

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
      nationalisation will fix it all, right? including the signals?
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.

3 Not allowed!
      Chris Grayling is an ally of Theresa May, if he wasn't he'd surely be out on his ear by now.
      NEW SCHTUMMCAST. MORE VIBES AVAILABLE HERE >>>>>> http://soundcloud.com/schtumm/schtum...0-neal-schtumm
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Guinness Boy View Post
      https://www.londonreconnections.com/...at-went-wrong/

I posted the link above on its own thread but it's worth sticking on here too. It's very long but don't worry, you should be able to complete it during your commute home

If you've ever run a project or, in fact, managed anything, you'll cringe in horror. Not only were the issues with the new timetable known well in advance but a combination of poor train software, poor recruting, poor testing, poor planning and poor training was at fault. No one comes out of this well. Not the TOCs, not Siemens, not Network Rail. And the man at the head of it all, blundering forward like an excited toddler chasing a pigeon? Chris Grayling.
      Classic! Going to remember that for future use!!

I read that article and it is indeed very informative - highlights the lack of project planning and risk mitigation by GTR, but also the government's part in this whole thing. Having said that I think we are seeing the impact of years of underinvestment by both Tory and Labour governments from the 1950's, probably on the premsie that rail travel would be nowhere near as popular as it is now.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by beorhthelm View Post
      nationalisation will fix it all, right? including the signals?
      Railtrack is a form of nationalisation. After the train disasters due to lack of maintenance it was taken back out of private hands.
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by NorthLainer View Post
      Classic! Going to remember that for future use!!

I read that article and it is indeed very informative - highlights the lack of project planning and risk mitigation by GTR, but also the government's part in this whole thing. Having said that I think we are seeing the impact of years of underinvestment by both Tory and Labour governments from the 1950's, probably on the premsie that rail travel would be nowhere near as popular as it is now.
      There wasn't a Labour government in the 50s. Harold Wilson won elections in 63 & 65.