Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Railway flustercuck

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I was going to post last night saying I'd see first hand about this commuting lark this morning. I feel for those of you that have to do this frequently but at the moment my major concern is being on a train with a bright orange bag plastered with Southern logos.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Rearranging meetings to conference calls or other days as I type. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been an odd week. Total **** up getting home Monday night, planned WFH Tuesday for the footy, preferred morning train cancelled yesterday, total **** up so unplanned WFH today. Can't wait for tomorrow :lolol:

I was fortunate this morning to have a mate who travels earlier than me and sent me a text before I'd left the house warning of the impending doom, so didn't even bother going to the station.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
WFH today, clearly the best option

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patreon
Jan 19, 2010
In case anyone is curious as to the cause of today’s travel travails:

The signalling power supplies have had a major failure which is still being diagnosed and repaired. There was a “quick fix” implemented around 0100 but it didn’t last.

An appropriate generator is being sourced to provide stable power supplies but may be anything up to a few hours away (yes, this is being worked on).

Affected areas are South of Balham to Selhurst and vice versa, and Streatham to Haydons Road and v/v. Affects the signals, track circuits and points on all lines.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Total meltdown now , time for Grayling to go for a start

If it wasn't for the Novichok story, this latest flustercuck would be main headline on the national news today. These swine are crippling the economy of the South (now with extra added North!) and ruining people's lives.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Clapham Junction oddly calm for this time of the morning :)

Trains are running up from Balham.....

... If you get to Balham.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
If it wasn't for the Novichok story, this latest flustercuck would be main headline on the national news today. These swine are crippling the economy of the South (now with extra added North!) and ruining people's lives.

Sadly it wouldn't be. This is one of those long-running stories (going on for 18+ months now) that makes column three of page 8 after a while, but when it becomes the norm, we're expected to sit back and just live with it. That's the British way after all.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
How do they get away with it???

They get away with it as Grayling was hoping Thameslink/Southern would break the RMT, as the last really strong union, over driver only trains.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sadly it wouldn't be. This is one of those long-running stories (going on for 18+ months now) that makes column three of page 8 after a while, but when it becomes the norm, we're expected to sit back and just live with it. That's the British way after all.

Well here's the running order of stories on the BBC News Channel broadcast as of a few minutes ago:

1. Novichok attack
2. Brexit Customs plan
3. Train travel chaos
4. NHS 70th birthday

Disgusting that these rail shits should be so appallingly unable to run a service that they relegate the proud and noble feelgood NHS news into 4th place. Really is beneath contempt.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well here's the running order of stories on the BBC News Channel broadcast as of a few minutes ago:

1. Novichok attack
2. Brexit Customs plan
3. Train travel chaos
4. NHS 70th birthday

Disgusting that these rail shits should be so appallingly unable to run a service that they relegate the proud and noble feelgood NHS news into 4th place. Really is beneath contempt.

Somebody at the BBC has seen sense and now promoted the NHS birthday into 3rd in running order above the rail shits hoorah!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
They get away with it as Grayling was hoping Thameslink/Southern would break the RMT, as the last really strong union, over driver only trains.

Surely they DID win that one... this is something different.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Surely they DID win that one... this is something different.

Indeed. Surely the signalling issues today, and on Monday, are down firmly to Network Rail? It would seem from experience that the signals do not work too well in sunshine, rain, wind, cold, warmth, snow or humidity.

Somone on the ABC Facebook group alledged that they are getting in cut price materials from China. I have no idea if this is true or not but they basically seem to fail in any weather condition that isn't still, dry and 10-12 degrees c.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Indeed. Surely the signalling issues today, and on Monday, are down firmly to Network Rail? It would seem from experience that the signals do not work too well in sunshine, rain, wind, cold, warmth, snow or humidity.

Somone on the ABC Facebook group alledged that they are getting in cut price materials from China. I have no idea if this is true or not but they basically seem to fail in any weather condition that isn't still, dry and 10-12 degrees c.

Yep, and the flustercuck over the timetable is different to the RMT dispute as well. The RMT 'strikes' actually improved the service when they occurred.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Doesn't look like this issue is going to be sorted anytime soon....

From NationalRail website

We anticipate disruption will continue until at least 07:00 tomorrow morning (Friday 6 July)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The DfT have to start working out - very quickly - which is going to cost more.

Either...

a. the millions, probably billions being lost in the economy for the continued chaos or
b. the millions, probably tens of millions, maybe even billions for them to sack Grayling, pay off GTR (for all GTR are doing is within the contract, and they have paid their liabilities up until September 2018 already), and starting again with a coherent, workable, professional system.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here