Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Railway flustercuck

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Just glad I have made it as far as Hassocks then. Might have to be a WFH tomorrow as I do not fancy being stuck in similar when the England game is on. And the trains are bound to be still knackered (as always).

Trains due to reach their final destination before 18.00 will run like clockwork tomorrow, large case of summer sniffles will however effect trains between 18.01 and 22.00 (depending on extra time and penalties)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A railway infrastructure run into the ground by the Tory’s so they could flog it for a song.Sadly now commuters hard earned cash is propping up foreign rail companies .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please check the facts, not party rhetoric.

Deja vu, from another railways thread a month ago. This government is pumping in record £15B in total each year on the railways - subsidies to the operators and to Network Rail for new infrastructure.

Whether state or privately owned, our complex, ancient rail network seems to have near impossible challenges.

Last edited:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Didn’t realise there were so many nice bars in haywards Heath. Every cloud and all that. Joking aside Today has been spectacular even by their standards.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We drove to Camber yesterday and the road was closed as the car park was full! We had to go to Rye instead where we had a lovely swim.

The train from London to Fav the other evening was f'ucked. You can do the math. But I'm close to retirement and can WFH. I pity the poor buggers who have another 10-30 years' commute. The Tories have killed the trains. The utter clowns. Who could have known? :mad::laugh::wozza:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Please check the facts, not party rhetoric.

Deja vu, from another railways thread a month ago. This government is pumping in record £15B in total each year on the railways - subsidies to the operators and to Network Rail for new infrastructure.

Whether state or privately owned, our complex, ancient rail network seems to have near impossible challenges.

The damage was done when Major rush-privatised it in an election bribe that failed. All was well before that .....

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If Chris Grayling (or indeed any other transport secretary) had to commute to work by public transport then it'd be improved by the end of the week. The man really is the anti-Midas, literally every job he's ever had in Government has gone to absolute shit the minute he's touched it.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Always conveniently happens when the weather is nice, the workers go missing and they invent some sort of fault that takes 24 hours to fix. *****.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
God, this thread makes me shudder thinking back to a similar journey on a similarly hot day when the air-con on the train had failed too. It was absolute hell.

I seriously pity those who still have to go through this shit.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Just glad I have made it as far as Hassocks then. Might have to be a WFH tomorrow as I do not fancy being stuck in similar when the England game is on. And the trains are bound to be still knackered (as always).

Well the trains themselves shouldn't be knackered, due to all the signalling problems and faults on the line, they don't get to go anywhere much, so should still be in nearly new condition!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well the trains themselves shouldn't be knackered, due to all the signalling problems and faults on the line, they don't get to go anywhere much, so should still be in nearly new condition!

Most of the trains now are actually pretty new (and the TL trains are brand new)........problem is the crumbling, underinvested infrastructure and utterly useless management of the franchise.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Most of the trains now are actually pretty new (and the TL trains are brand new)........problem is the crumbling, underinvested infrastructure and utterly useless management of the franchise.

Indeed. I only made that remark tongue in cheek, as a poster said the 'trains' were knackered, rather than the company being at fault.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Gave up when 17:42 Gatwick Express from Victoria was terminated at Haywards Heath. Bumped into a mate so we went and had a couple of pints in the Burrell. Went back to station about 8:30 and still bugger all going to Brighton. Ended up going to Lewes and getting train to Brighton from there. Got home about quarter past ten.

Not risking missing the match today, WFH.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Amazing moment of common sense from southern - they had a train waiting at Littlehampton and announced ‘we’ll leave as soon as everyone is on board’ - now on our way back to Hove.

I was on that one... the odd thing was when the train was diverted we were told the train would arrive at LA at 7:57pm, which seemed a long journey, but it turned up 30 mins early AND they had held the delayed Victoria service and, as you say, they got us all on, and off we went. It meant I was only just over 30 mins late home. Extreme common sense alert.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I was on that one... the odd thing was when the train was diverted we were told the train would arrive at LA at 7:57pm, which seemed a long journey, but it turned up 30 mins early AND they had held the delayed Victoria service and, as you say, they got us all on, and off we went. It meant I was only just over 30 mins late home. Extreme common sense alert.

Assuming you got off at Worthing and so missed the ensuing will we/won’t we stop at Shoreham and Portslade debacle. In the end we did thankfully!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Also appears to be a larger number of broken down trains too, not sure if these are the new or old ones.

Every branch of the system is in inadequate. The ToCs are understaffed and cannot fulfilled their timetable to any reasonable level of punctuality, Network rail for whatever reason (lack of resources, incompetence) are maintaining reliable track, points and signals, and the DfT do not give a crap as long as they can give some workers a good kicking. The only thing that works well is the system of buck passing between all three elements.

There is still no political will to resolve on this on the part of the government, and until there is we are stuck with this.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013

gTmD4t3.gif

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Assuming you got off at Worthing and so missed the ensuing will we/won’t we stop at Shoreham and Portslade debacle. In the end we did thankfully!

Got off at Durrington, so, yes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here