Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Potential tragedy into good news

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Some more good news, the expected rain not arriving now until next week, which gives the rescue team a bit of breathing space.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
87150091-DD20-47C3-BEFB-5C2A16944587.jpegIs that lad in the front row wearing an England shirt?

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Is that lad in the front row wearing an England shirt?

It looked like it.

Apparently, one of the options whilst the rain is holding off, is to drill the rock, and make a narrow passage a little wider, to make it easier for inexperienced divers. If you look at the link I posted, there are cross section diagrams, showing the different areas.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This is one incredible effort. A 2k dive required this morning it is said or the alternative is try and find away to sit out the monsoons I guess. WTF. Anyone who has ever dived will know how ridiculously difficult a 2k dive would be, unbelievable and this isnt an open water on the Barrier Reef or Red Sea with some nice fish and coral to look at, its bloody cave diving in hopeless condiitons to untrained divers who wont have seen the light of day and will be mentally and physically ****ed. I am gripped by this, the task in hand now should not be under estimated. I dont know, but if there is anyway to ride it out till after the monsoons that must be the less risky option I would guess
I think there's a lot we don't know yet. One issue with waiting it out is whether the area they're in is safe, or if that could flood too.

The whole journey to the cave entrance isn't underwater, so the diving would be in stages. A monumentally difficult dive, but for someone being led it would be considerably different. I imagine they'll be practising going under water for 20 minutes a time right where they are, then if they're led through each bit in stages, they'll be able to do it.

It must be torture down there, possibly 2 weeks is just the beginning. I did some caving once in Derbyshire where we had to turn our lights out and the darkness was undescribable. Blacker than black you could scrunch your eyes up and blink and it was no different if that makes sense
Those first 9 days must have been hell. At least they now have food, light, and hope.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i heard this morning the plan is to use open face masks which are much easier, then take them out one at a time. i cant see them trying sit out the monsoon season and risk the cave getting flooded. there's lines, lights and a flotilla of navy divers, reckon they'll sort them out.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Do they never leak water in? Easier for a beginner to get used to, but I think I'd feel more comfortable with a standard mouth-piece.

I'd much rather use a mask and standard regulator. If something snags a mask, you keep breathing and put it right. If something snags your regulator and pulls it out you go to your octopus (backup regulator) and sort out your main. If something snags a full-face mask you could be trying to sort out no vision AND no air; to an experienced diver that's not something to fear but to a teenager on his first dive without even the luxury of being able to bolt for the surface, it could be fatal.

Finding them was the easy part compared to getting them out; even highly experienced cave divers come a cropper :
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36097300

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'd much rather use a mask and standard regulator. If something snags a mask, you keep breathing and put it right. If something snags your regulator and pulls it out you go to your octopus (backup regulator) and sort out your main. If something snags a full-face mask you could be trying to sort out no vision AND no air; to an experienced diver that's not something to fear but to a teenager on his first dive without even the luxury of being able to bolt for the surface, it could be fatal.
Looking at the link from Thunder, it looks good if they can also have voice communication. Then if something isn't right, they can say, and the experts helping them can sort it out. Hand signals are likely to be a problem in the conditions they'll be in.

Finding them was the easy part compared to getting them out; even highly experienced cave divers come a cropper :
I'm not expert, but I think it's fair to say that was a more challenging dive. Very scary stuff.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I don't know anything about diving but from what I've read it would be an horrendous task for them to dive out. None of them can swim, zero visibility, strong currents, narrow passageways where divers had to remove equipment to get past. If any of them had an anxiety attack in those conditions it could be fatal for them, or their companions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n6ZyZoEB4o

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
The film. First 30 minutes depicting the period up until their found, will be a black screen as they have not light.
The rescuers. If anybody deserves a Knighthood, surely it's these guys.
The rescue. If there's a god, he will ensure their safety. Stand by for an all nighter as they bring them out though.

What i would add here is that the two UK divers who found them are just beyond belief and yes maybe other divers were willing to go there,but total respect to these two.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
A former Thai navy diver has died while taking part in efforts to rescue 12 boys and their football coach trapped in a flooded cave in Thailand.

Petty Officer Saman Gunan lost consciousness on his way out of the Tham Luang cave complex, where he had been delivering air tanks.

"His job was to deliver oxygen. He did not have enough on his way back," the Chiang Rai deputy governor said.

PO Saman was brought out by his dive partner but could not be revived.

Hope they leave the coach in there to rot

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I wouldn't have thought there is much swimming involved, crawling under water or being pulled on rope? Still unbelievably scary / dangerous.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
It scares me that if rain comes (and it is forecast) it could put the rescue back big time - I fear for those kids.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013

After reading their story I ended up watching the film they made about it, "Diving Into The Unknown", it really is incredible what they did just a few weeks after losing 2 friends.

I also saw the news when I woke up about the Ex-navy diver who died on the supply run over night. This is far from over and I hope I am wrong but I don't see this being the only death during this.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I wouldn't have thought there is much swimming involved, crawling under water or being pulled on rope? Still unbelievably scary / dangerous.

Tragedy has already struck one of the volunteers.

A former Thai navy diver has died while taking part in efforts to rescue 12 boys and their football coach trapped in a flooded cave in Thailand.

Petty Officer Saman Gunan lost consciousness on his way out of the Tham Luang cave complex, where he had been delivering air tanks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44734385

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Tragedy has already struck one of the volunteers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44734385

Sad news....if anyone was in any doubt about how dangerous it would be to get untrained kids through those tunnels........

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here