Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup players that have impressed you, outside of the usual suspects!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Not necessarily, who would I like Brighton and Hove Albion to sign, but I didn’t know, who’ve caught my eye …

The Korea keeper
Behrami – defensive midfielder for Switzerland
Fernandes - Good shout on the Russian RB
Dzyuba – Like a bigger Murray
Subacic
Rodrigo
Grandqvist
Musa

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Godin and Jiminez play for two of the stingiest defences in the world, Uruguay have conceded 1 goal so far at the World Cup, I’m sure you know this already but Godin really is a ******* of a defender.

He's as near to the perfect CB as they come.

With the alleged Godin 'mistake', he was having to mark the heading threat of Ronaldo and the goal scorer. No defence is impermeable over a tournament.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Hirving Lozano the young Mexican lad who's at PSV. Unfortunately my scouting skills aren't great as after I said to my son that he would be quality for us, I heard a commentator say that Barcelona were interested in signing him. Oh well.

Anyway, hope he tears Brazil a new one this afternoon and Neymar cries, the prick.
Some PSV fans thought Locadia was better. Lozano is decent but also a hot head been sent off seven times already.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Mathew Leckie (Australia) yet another ex Ingolstadt player for peanuts to Hertha Berlin , i thought he was outstanding in the Aussie team .

I thought the same. The one bit of quality in the final third for the Aussies.
We were linked with him a couple years ago.

Another previous link, Genki Haraguchi, scored and ran the Belgian left back absolute ragged last night.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I thought the same. The one bit of quality in the final third for the Aussies.
We were linked with him a couple years ago.

Another previous link, Genki Haraguchi, scored and ran the Belgian left back absolute ragged last night.

On 11 June 2018, Haraguchi announced that he had reached an agreement to join Hannover 96 beginning in the 2018/19 season.

theroyal

May 11, 2014
Cho Hyun-Woo

I'm confident the Germans would still be in the competition if it weren't for him.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Ante Rebic, AM for Croatia, pacy, skilful, eye for goal, doesn’t mind the physical aspect of the game.
Given how little I'd seen of him previously, Rebic is the player who's impressed me most I think. Very surprised to see he's only playing for Eintracht Frankfurt - am sure there'd be much bigger suitors in for him now if he hadn't just signed for them prior to the WC.

Actually, looking at his contract it appears Eintracht had the option to buy at the end of a long loan spell from Fiorentina. Lucky them.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Laxalt was great for Uruguay against Portugal, there will be loads of interest in him after that display.

As others have said, Quintero has been very impressive and could cause problems tonight.

Also a big fan of the big full-backs, Vrjsalko of Croatia and Fernandes of Russia. Both are fairly pacy, have a lot of presence and can cross the ball well.

In terms of viable potential signings, I was impressed with Haraguchi. Defends well and is still a threat going forward, would be a good utility player to play at full-back, wing back or as a wide mid. Understand he has already moved elsewhere though.

Another we were linked with last summer that impressed me was Simon Kjaer, would love to get him in if it was feasible.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thought that Inui for Japan last night was absolutely fantastic!

He was good in the previous games too.

And I know it's fashionable to sneer at Fellaini - he's not as skillful as KDB or Hazard but he's one of those players that you'd rather have playing for you than against you. Japan found it hard to cope with him

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Quintero of Colombia. He looks like a real quality player and has me worried about tonights game.

I also really like Banega of Argentina. Although he is playing I think for Sevilla in Spain so could be classed as a 'usual suspect'.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Quintero of Colombia. He looks like a real quality player and has me worried about tonights game.

I also really like Banega of Argentina. Although he is playing I think for Sevilla in Spain so could be classed as a 'usual suspect'.

Real Madrid trying to get Quintero apparently. Banega has been an excellent player for years but never quite got to the level that was expected when he was a youngster and joined Valencia. Back then he was talked about as being potentially the best in the world.

I actually don't think there have been that many 'stars' who have stood out in this tournament so far with the exception of Mbappe's last performance, to me it's been very much about the teams as a collective. Uruguay, Russia, Croatia, England and even Brazil have typified that for me.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The boy Shaqiri is dragging his team mates by the scruff of the neck through the earlier rounds, and maybe through this one also. Bit of a low centre of gravity monster. Would do a job :thumbsup:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Another shout for Inui of Japan.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here