Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ales Mateju leaving for Italy

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Definitely is a clear improvement on the sort of players coming out of the U23s though. Takes a long time for an academy to produce - but everything in the last few years seems to be going in the right direction.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Definitely is a clear improvement on the sort of players coming out of the U23s though. Takes a long time for an academy to produce - but everything in the last few years seems to be going in the right direction.

I hope so. we've put a lot of money in to the academy, and if we get it right then we'll be quids in. just a little frustrating to see all of these foreign youngsters we bought being not up to scratch and shown the door. Just the risk you take with those transfers I guess

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I hope so. we've put a lot of money in to the academy, and if we get it right then we'll be quids in. just a little frustrating to see all of these foreign youngsters we bought being not up to scratch and shown the door. Just the risk you take with those transfers I guess
If they buy at €5m I guess that would represent a respectable return??

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He is not exactly a product of our Academy as we bought him in August 2017 as a 21 year old who had represented Czech Republic at all levels from u16. to U21

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Not really being shown the door though if we could get 5m Euros for him.

How many academy players break into Premier League sides though? I have no idea but it cannot be many these days and even the likes of Jesse Lingard and Harry Kane were sent out on loan first.

D

Deleted member 18477

How many academy players break into Premier League sides though?

All players start in an academy somewhere. Very few seem to go through the ranks though you're right.

Germany set up some programme after Euro 2000 to help clubs find German talent and thus helping the national set up. It led to a 2014 World Cup win. England don't do this and the club simply develop a player themselves or not. Germany ensure no talent is missed. Based on this set up they have introduced, it makes their early exit in this World Cup very embarrassing for them and proves that it doesn't always work, however it does ensure they have a strong team over and over giving them a better chance than England more regularly.

The premier league has 69% foreigners, the bundesliga has 49%.

However the premier league doesn't care if the English national team do well as they just care about profit. And profit is generated by competition which the premier league has more of. 1 of 6 teams could easily win the premier league where as the bundesliga is dominated by 1 team. The others are all feeder clubs eventually...

Back to your original statement, I am not surprised...

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The Academy will be deemed successful IF it generates income , not because it gives us (cheap) first team players. If this move generates £2m profit then that is good business and (at the end of the day) that is what the PL is all about.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This is devastating news! The recruitment team have their work cut out now, if they are going to come close to adequately replacing the Albion's finest WAG... Brescia's gain, is very much Brighton marina's loss :down:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
£4.5million back on a £1million investment? Sounds like the academy is producing...

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Confirmed this morning as a season long loan, no mention of a permanent move.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2018/july/ales-mateju-joins-brescia/

Worth noting that Brescia seemingly have a little money to splash in their quest to be promoted to Serie A, following a takeover from none other than ex-Leeds nutjob Massimo Cellino!

Seems that a move away is in the best interests for all parties, as it turns out Mateju was further from the first team squad than we all hoped he would be. The lad went from playing Europa League games for Viktoria Plzen to playing Sussex Senior Cup against Haywards Heath Town, so this looks like a good step back in the right direction for him.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Random post I know, but I'm in Perugia, Italy at the moment, and yesterday I snuck off to watch the local team play Brescia, in a Serie B game.

Our man Ales looked pretty decent down the left hand side, and helped with a clean sheet in a 2-0 away win. Brescia look good and heading for the top flight, Perugia are mid table fodder.

Friendly club though, and a nice museum, but perhaps most importantly, you can catch a MONORAIL to the stadium

kingstn seagull

Sep 4, 2007
YORKSHARE
Just been looking this up, 15 appearances this season for the team in 2nd in Serie B. Great experience for the lad and hopefully he can play a part next season

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here