Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Official Match Thread: Croatia v Denmark

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Poor game Croatia we very poor Denmark were the better team but with no striker the penalty shootout was amazing very tense but so far I have seen nothing in this group that makes me think England if they get past Columbia could might no I must not say it

Punctuation exists for a reason!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think that should have been a red. The rules changed so that accidental fouls cannot be punished with a red and a penalty, but that was a pretty deliberate and desperate attempt to prevent a tap in. I'm rooting for Denmark though so can't say I'm too fussed.

Thought that, under the new rules, a yellow card was fair enough.

I do wonder though whether football should adopt the law from rugby and award a penalty goal if it's clear that the goal would have been scored if not for foul play. If football had that, the ref would simply award a goal

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I do wonder though whether football should adopt the law from rugby and award a penalty goal if it's clear that the goal would have been scored if not for foul play. If football had that, the ref would simply award a goal

To do so would require a complete change of one of the Laws of Football. as opposed to the rules as to what constitutes a goal.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

Only if a genuine attempt to play the ball. He had about a 1% chance of getting the ball before the man from the position of the tackle so I don't see that as a genuine attempt!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
To do so would require a complete change of one of the Laws of Football. as opposed to the rules as to what constitutes a goal.

Well yes, that's the point I was making. If Denmark had won the shoot-out then foul play would have succeeded (in a similar way to Suarez's handball against Ghana). Should we be looking at ways to stop foul play giving an advantage to a team?

D

Deleted member 18477

Feel sorry for Casper tonight. Saves a pen in extra time, then makes a couple of great saves in the pen shootout...

His outfield team mates let him down in that shootout. Some awful pens. Erikson even missed!

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Only if a genuine attempt to play the ball. He had about a 1% chance of getting the ball before the man from the position of the tackle so I don't see that as a genuine attempt!
Only Super Dunk can have a 1% chance of getting the ball before the man and he proved it against Stoke with the pen*.

*Admittedly, Stoke should have had another pen but fu*k em.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

not really, just a change to rule governing penalties.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
How anyone can say the Danish defender was attempting to play the ball is beyond me. The Croat was 6 yards from an empty net, and the Dane was coming from behind. Clearest red card all tournament and is exactly the same as Suarez's hand ball versus Ghana in my opinion.

Also, I don't understand this double jeopardy law change anyway. Colombia v Japan, Colombian is sent off for handling inside the area and a penalty is given...how on earth is that different to last night's incident?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I didn't care who won until the Croat was put down, then they had to win for fairness. It was very easy to dislike the Shmeicals!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here