Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] DVLA web in English. is this correct?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
One of my special low-threshold irritations is the oposite - when people say 'bought' instead of 'brought'. As in 'I bought it home'. My standard reply is 'when did you bing it home?'. :rant:

I hate it when people say "oposite" when they mean "opposite". My standard response is 'I think you need a pee'.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Fair enough. But some poor usage alters the meaning (such as disinterested / uninterested, or using the word inflammable when you mean flammable) and the trouble with incorrect usage is that the reader then doesn't know whether the author is using the terms in the 'old, proper' way, or in the 'new, modern, evolving' way. And therefore, the reader may get the wrong impression from what was written.

You’re wrong inflammable and flammable mean exactly the same and are fully interchangeable in any context.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Neastgull is correct. Bought is purchased, brought is taken along with you.

However "Put it into someone else's name" isn't wholly right I don't think. This would mean that you would be changing someone's name to 'Joe Fiesta Bloggs' or something wouldn't it?
Good point. I'd never really noticed that. I suppose the pedant's version would be

Assigned ownership of the vehicle to another person

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
You’re wrong inflammable and flammable mean exactly the same and are fully interchangeable in any context.

Yes, you're right - I've even got myself muddled up there, which near enough proves the point I was making!! Touche. What I was thinking of was along the lines of people using inflammable to mean 'not flammable' (such as inactive meaning 'not active' and so on) when it doesn't.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia

24TbV2r.jpg

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Tell DVLA you've sold, transferred or bought a vehicle
Tell DVLA when you no longer own a vehicle, or you buy a vehicle as either a registered keeper or motor trader.

It seems the form is for selling, transferring or buying a vehicle.

So I would assume you have either relinquished ownership by selling or transferring the vehicle to someone else or have purchased a vehicle. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s how it appears to me.

Not necessarily. You can be the registered keeper of a vehicle and have your name on the V5 but not own the vehicle.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Not necessarily. You can be the registered keeper of a vehicle and have your name on the V5 but not own the vehicle.

Ah, I didn’t know that.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
For the sake of clarity, what exactly is the difference between 'disinterested' and 'uninterested'?

If you're uninterested in something you're unconcerned, indifferent, bored or basically 'not bothered about it'.

Disinterested means you do not have a stake in the outcome, you're impartial, not biased and so on.

I was once described as an 'interested disinterested party' at a public inquiry into a footpath. Basically I was interested in the process and outcome so attended the inquiry, but was 'disinterested' in that whatever the result it didn't actually affect me in any way. I would hope that most referees are not uninterested in the match they are reffing, but hope that they are disinterested!

Getting them mixed up probably doesn't matter a lot of the time, but in things like legal issues, betting, and so on, it can make quite a difference.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Tell DVLA you've sold, transferred or bought a vehicle
Tell DVLA when you no longer own a vehicle, or you buy a vehicle as either a registered keeper or motor trader.

It seems the form is for selling, transferring or buying a vehicle.

So I would assume you have either relinquished ownership by selling or transferring the vehicle to someone else or have purchased a vehicle. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s how it appears to me.

you can only get that far once you have put in the document number in, so unless the seller has given the buyer the whole document rather than the new owner tear off he wouldn't know the document number. The log book states you must not give it to the new owner but complete it and send it to them, so the form is a contradiction.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Ah, I didn’t know that.

It clearly states in big bold letters that the V5C or log book is not proof of ownership.

See it regularly on the can't pay were take the ****er away programme that they will not accept a log book os proof or ownership, only a receipt of purchase.
blank logbook.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here