Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] DVLA web in English. is this correct?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Whilst on the DLVA web site to notify change of ownership after selling a car I noticed one of the multi choice questions gave an option as “bought it” Surely this should be brought it?
I know their (or is it the’re?)native tongue is welsh but as a government body someone must of proof read it before it went live. Or am I wrong and just made a tit of myself?

DVLA.jpg

NEASTGULL

Sep 30, 2006
Gateshead
Brought is the past tense and past participle of the verb to bring. It has to do with taking or carrying along with.
Bought is the past tense and past participle of the verb to buy. It has to do with purchasing something in an economic sense.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Neastgull is correct. Bought is purchased, brought is taken along with you.

However "Put it into someone else's name" isn't wholly right I don't think. This would mean that you would be changing someone's name to 'Joe Fiesta Bloggs' or something wouldn't it?

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I imagine someone would have proof read it.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You have made a tit of yourself I am afraid.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Neastgull is correct. Bought is purchased, brought is taken along with you.

However "Put it into someone else's name" isn't wholly right I don't think. This would mean that you would be changing someone's name to 'Joe Fiesta Bloggs' or something wouldn't it?

'Put it under someone else's name' would be better.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
This highlights an issue that is becoming increasingly prevalent in the world of text speak, and emoji etc. People are using words that may sound similar but have very different meanings. We are all familiar with the whole their, there, they're issue, along with numerous other examples. "Can I get a "and "Can I have a " are two totally different things, but how many people now use "can I get" to a server behind a counter instead of Can I have, how many know the difference?
Everyone makes mistakes occasionally,(such as the OP in this case) but there is an increasing acceptance that it actually doesn't matter. Grammar and Spelling, construction and correct use of language are becoming optional and whilst language has always evolved, what we are seeing now isn't evolution of a language, it is the wholesale dumbing down of what should be a rich beautiful language into the equivalent of teenage grunts . How often do you hear and see "dis, dat, dem" used by children and even supposed adults instead of This That Them ?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Whilst on the DLVA web site to notify change of ownership after selling a car I noticed one of the multi choice questions gave an option as “bought it” Surely this should be brought it?
I know their (or is it the’re?)native tongue is welsh but as a government body someone must of proof read it before it went live. Or am I wrong and just made a tit of myself?

View attachment 98233

I think they mean is the form filler now deceased. The mistake being that they would not be able to use that reply to the question.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here