Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 93
  1. #61
    J'les aurai! Gregory2,Smith1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Auch
    Posts
    5,019


    0 Not allowed!
    anyone planning on driving in France this summer be aware that all the national road speed limits changed on the 1st July

    no longer 90kph but 80! and the flics are everywhere at the moment

    your gps will probably still say 90 so be careful,even with alarms

    the first couple of days were really strange

    usually in a 90 everyone does 100,but at the moment everyone is adhering to the new limit of 80 knowing the flics are in every hedgerow

    the change in speed is remarkable,at 80 it feels like your walking

    but it does highlight the difference in speed and I'm sure fatalites will go down as a result,although it's extremely unpopular with the locals
    18th April 1981 Cyrstal Palace 0 Brighton 3 (Gregory2,Smith1)

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #62
      Members studio150's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2011
      Location
      On the Border
      Posts
      16,601


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gregory2,Smith1 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      anyone planning on driving in France this summer be aware that all the national road speed limits changed on the 1st July

      no longer 90kph but 80! and the flics are everywhere at the moment

      your gps will probably still say 90 so be careful,even with alarms

      the first couple of days were really strange

      usually in a 90 everyone does 100,but at the moment everyone is adhering to the new limit of 80 knowing the flics are in every hedgerow

      the change in speed is remarkable,at 80 it feels like your walking

      but it does highlight the difference in speed and I'm sure fatalites will go down as a result,although it's extremely unpopular with the locals
      So 56mph down to 50mph in round numbers, I don't believe it will make a significant difference.
      Joint winner NSC Predictor League 2017/18
    • #63
      Members Weststander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Withdean area
      Posts
      19,817


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gregory2,Smith1 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      anyone planning on driving in France this summer be aware that all the national road speed limits changed on the 1st July

      no longer 90kph but 80! and the flics are everywhere at the moment

      your gps will probably still say 90 so be careful,even with alarms

      the first couple of days were really strange

      usually in a 90 everyone does 100,but at the moment everyone is adhering to the new limit of 80 knowing the flics are in every hedgerow

      the change in speed is remarkable,at 80 it feels like your walking

      but it does highlight the difference in speed and I'm sure fatalites will go down as a result,although it's extremely unpopular with the locals
      90% of my driving is on the 130kpm Autoroutes. Is that limit still the same?
    • #64
      J'les aurai! Gregory2,Smith1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2011
      Location
      Auch
      Posts
      5,019


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      90% of my driving is on the 130kpm Autoroutes. Is that limit still the same?
      yeah no change there

      unless it's raining of course,then it goes down to 110,but you probably knew that already
      18th April 1981 Cyrstal Palace 0 Brighton 3 (Gregory2,Smith1)
    • #65
      J'les aurai! Gregory2,Smith1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2011
      Location
      Auch
      Posts
      5,019


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by studio150 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      So 56mph down to 50mph in round numbers, I don't believe it will make a significant difference.
      might do to your wallet
      18th April 1981 Cyrstal Palace 0 Brighton 3 (Gregory2,Smith1)
    • #66
      Members
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Posts
      73


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bridger View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Just been on a course about smart motorways, got caught speeding coming back from Brighton to Northants. U
      Got caught just past junction 11 of the M1 doing 58 when the overhead signs were 50.
      There wasn’t any traffic at 9pm and no road works so didn’t think they worked, but I got caught and refer to the course instead of points.
      I asked the question at the course why there were limits at that time of night, when no hold ups or roadworks, and the reply was...
      Pollution!!
      Apparently they are set so fast traffic doesn’t stir up the pollution at night and gives it chance to settle. Yeah right.

      Did the same course myself last year. The idiots giving my course tried to make us believe that there are sensors in the road that detect the pollution like you say, and noise. So if the motorway is abit too noisy for the local residents that have lived next to it for years they bang the overheads on as slower traffic makes less noise...utter bollocks.

      It's just another tax.
    • #67
      Members
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Sunny Sussex, occasionally Leith
      Posts
      526


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gregory2,Smith1 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      anyone planning on driving in France this summer be aware that all the national road speed limits changed on the 1st July

      no longer 90kph but 80! and the flics are everywhere at the moment

      your gps will probably still say 90 so be careful,even with alarms

      the first couple of days were really strange

      usually in a 90 everyone does 100,but at the moment everyone is adhering to the new limit of 80 knowing the flics are in every hedgerow

      the change in speed is remarkable,at 80 it feels like your walking

      but it does highlight the difference in speed and I'm sure fatalites will go down as a result,although it's extremely unpopular with the locals
      Thanks, that's good to know. I wasn't aware of that.
      Every journey of a thousand miles begins with a single rail replacement bus service.
    • #68
      Members
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      Location
      Lindfield (near the pond)
      Posts
      1,010


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dig54 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Back in the day I drove up the m40 around 90mph on way to Birmingham. Someone else who was also going to same destination and who had left starting point at same time, cruised in a restricted vehicle at 70mph. I must have only reached the destination about 10 mins earlier max.

      I've never speeded anywhere ever again. When I think about why I was speeding and why others do quite simply its selfishness, egotistical and bloody stupid. We've all done it at some point though. Luckily I've never had a ticket.

      I've never speeded through average speed camera's though, those people just don't give a flying f**k about anyone as there could well be workers on site nearby.
      Driving back today down M40. My GPS was saying 46, speedo said 51? Went with GPS, and went at 56. GPS said I was doing 50. Will let you all know about any fines!
    • #69
      Hedging up neilbard's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Location
      Tyringham
      Posts
      3,574


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      What’s the difference between an average one and, say, a top of the range speed camera?
      Simple, top of the range speed camera will be made in Germany.
      Weather forecast for tonight: dark.
    • #70
      Uckfield Seagull I remember the good times's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      4,166


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Megazone View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      We have a 20mph speed limit within the city. I've caught Police cars a fair few time, without the sirens on, driving well above that limit when I'm speed checking them. Problem is, if you stop them, you'll get arrested for wasting their time.

      Does anyone actually follow the 20mph rule?
      Spoke with a taxi driver mate of mine about the Brighton 20 mph limit. Whilst very few drivers stick to this limit, those going over it will be doing 25 to 30. Had the limit been 30 then they would be doing 40. So a few drive around at 20 but even fewer do over 30.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •