Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Average Speed Cameras

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
They don’t work yet as not all installed, when they are all installed there will be a period of time before they go live, this gives a period of grace for motorists to get used to them.

Jul 7, 2003
The ones on the A24 serve neither purpose as people speed up to it, slam their brakes on to go past the camera then speed again to do the same at the next one down the road

The ones on the A24 have made a difference and I say that despite having been caught by them myself. The junction at Dial Post used to have lots of accidents with people pulling out of the garden centre into very fast traffic. Since they have been in I can't remember too many accidents there if any. Same with the ones further North by the Partridge Green turn off.

Where they are used to reduce accidents like those above is fine. They are only supposed to be used for safety which is why the local ones are run by the Sussex Safety Partnership.

The mobile one that annoys me is on the A27 Westbound at Holmbush. Can't recall any accidents there over the years and yet they have the mobile camera hidden away just after the bridge as you come downhill from the tunnel. I can't see any justification for that one apart from income generation rather than safety.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
There were average speed cameras where the A40 merges into the M40, about a year ago.
They were working fine, much to the annoyance of my speed merchant mate.
The M25 will never be fine IMO, especially when the new runway is built, you'll start noticing being overtaken by aircraft.
How high will the average speed cameras have to be then? :shrug:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
The average speed cameras along the seafront between the Marina and the pier have a 30 mph average speed limit. Now what happens if you do 50mph then stop and a red light then continue at 30 mph ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The average speed cameras along the seafront between the Marina and the pier have a 30 mph average speed limit. Now what happens if you do 50mph then stop and a red light then continue at 30 mph ?

Too many variables. How long were you stopped at the lights for. How long were you driving at 50 and how long at 30 etc etc.

D

Deleted member 18477

Back in the day I drove up the m40 around 90mph on way to Birmingham. Someone else who was also going to same destination and who had left starting point at same time, cruised in a restricted vehicle at 70mph. I must have only reached the destination about 10 mins earlier max.

I've never speeded anywhere ever again. When I think about why I was speeding and why others do quite simply its selfishness, egotistical and bloody stupid. We've all done it at some point though. Luckily I've never had a ticket.

I've never speeded through average speed camera's though, those people just don't give a flying f**k about anyone as there could well be workers on site nearby.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Back in the day I drove up the m40 around 90mph on way to Birmingham. Someone else who was also going to same destination and who had left starting point at same time, cruised in a restricted vehicle at 70mph. I must have only reached the destination about 10 mins earlier max.

I've never speeded anywhere ever again. When I think about why I was speeding and why others do quite simply its selfishness, egotistical and bloody stupid. We've all done it at some point though. Luckily I've never had a ticket.

I've never speeded through average speed camera's though, those people just don't give a flying f**k about anyone as there could well be workers on site nearby.

They've recently shown that 50mph limits through roadworks can increase the danger to workers as people lose concentration going so slowly on a motorway .

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
What’s the difference between an average one and, say, a top of the range speed camera?

Top of the range get you before you can see them.....Average ones flash when you drive past...Crap ones don`t work !!

The one half way down M23 is the top of the top.....It got me travelling into Lewes on the A27.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Just been on a course about smart motorways, got caught speeding coming back from Brighton to Northants.
Got caught just past junction 11 of the M1 doing 58 when the overhead signs were 50.
There wasn’t any traffic at 9pm and no road works so didn’t think they worked, but I got caught and refer to the course instead of points.
I asked the question at the course why there were limits at that time of night, when no hold ups or roadworks, and the reply was...
Pollution!!
Apparently they are set so fast traffic doesn’t stir up the pollution at night and gives it chance to settle. Yeah right.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have no issues with speed camers.

But sneaky hand helds up side streets with no warnings.....I got an advanced driver class, followed by 6 points from such snidery, all in Northampton. A mate of mine got 6 points driving his son to cricket. In Northampton. Anyone not thinking that Northampton were using it as a cash cow need only look at the state of the roads there, the state of the local authority's finances and the number of points on their licence.

That said.... I also got a hand-held camera 3 points from a van on a bridge over the M23 on the way to football 18 months ago. So maybe I'm simply bang to rights for cockwomble bumtittery. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just been on a course about smart motorways, got caught speeding coming back from Brighton to Northants.
Got caught just past junction 11 of the M1 doing 58 when the overhead signs were 50.
There wasn’t any traffic at 9pm and no road works so didn’t think they worked, but I got caught and refer to the course instead of points.
I asked the question at the course why there were limits at that time of night, when no hold ups or roadworks, and the reply was...
Pollution!!
Apparently they are set so fast traffic doesn’t stir up the pollution at night and gives it chance to settle. Yeah right.

What did I say! It is a real phenomenon, like the Northern Lights, mirages, and the Bermuda Triangle. :rant::censored:

D

Deleted member 18477

They've recently shown that 50mph limits through roadworks can increase the danger to workers as people lose concentration going so slowly on a motorway .

I'd be worried if anyone lost concentration going at any speed. Suggest those people don't drive? :shrug:

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Surely they are there for both. They encourage slower driving and raise money from speeders !!!

This is not rocket science. They will only generate income if you break the law by speeding. If you speed and get caught, you will be raising money. There is NO arguement. Break the speed limit, get caught, fund the cameras.

When will people get this?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Pollution!!

The worst thing I learnt on that course was the lady giving taking it asked if we could finish 20 mins earlier, everyone agreed, too right.
She said the only reason why she asked was her colleagues in Dudley asked the same thing and finished early on a course and some bellend wrote in afterwards and said he didn’t get his £85’s worth and not the full course he paid for ! WTF
He was consequently given the chance to take it again, but he refused.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'd be worried if anyone lost concentration going at any speed. Suggest those people don't drive? :shrug:

Well it's all about statistics isn't it. Some people do lose concentration. Some people have to drive after having had 3 hours sleep in five days due to young kids and working all the hours in the day to make ends meet. Some people have a cold. Some people have a momentary lapse.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is not rocket science. They will only generate income if you break the law by speeding. If you speed and get caught, you will be raising money. There is NO arguement. Break the speed limit, get caught, fund the cameras.

When will people get this?

Yes...but....conspiracies, special pleading, and rank hypocrisy are so....moreish :lolol::lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here