Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] ITV England World Cup Finals Coverage

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Did ITV really let BBC have four games in a row in 2002? It seems very unlikely.

Or was a game or two on both channels, as I’m sure used to happen way back when, but hats been conveniently ignored to help reinforce the point?

I had to go away and research that. Seems both knock-out games in 2002 were on both channels:

Denmark 0 England 3 / Saturday 15 June 2002 / Niigata Sutajiamu, Niigata-shi / BBC – John Motson and Trevor Brooking / ITV – Clive Tyldesley and Ron Atkinson

England 1 Brazil 2 / Friday 21 June 2002 / Shizuoka Stadium Ecopa, Fukuroi city / BBC – John Motson and Trevor Brooking / ITV – Clive Tyldesley and Ron Atkinson

Source: http://www.filmdetail.com/2010/06/21/the-curse-of-itv-england-world-cup/

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Did ITV really let BBC have four games in a row in 2002? It seems very unlikely.

Or was a game or two on both channels, as I’m sure used to happen way back when, but hats been conveniently ignored to help reinforce the point?

Semi finals tend to be on both channels. (Doesn’t happen much) But there’s an agreement to split the rest.
In 2002 it was split like this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2002/02_february/14/worldcupschedule.shtml
And yes BBC didn’t have 4 in a row.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Semi finals tend to be on both channels. (Doesn’t happen much) But there’s an agreement to split the rest.
In 2002 it was split like this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2002/02_february/14/worldcupschedule.shtml
And yes BBC didn’t have 4 in a row.

That just backs up what I'd already posted, the BBC did have 4 in a row, but ITV had the two knockout games as well:

If England or the Republic of Ireland progress to the Round of 16, knockout stage of the tournament, both broadcasters will screen each of their matches live, with the BBC having first choice of the remaining games. If they do not, live coverage of the eight matches in this stage will be split, with the BBC retaining first choice of game.

In the quarter finals of the tournament, with eight teams remaining, the pattern of live coverage is reversed with ITV having first choice of matches outside of shared live coverage if England or Ireland qualify.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
That just backs up what I'd already posted, the BBC did have 4 in a row, but ITV had the two knockout games as well:

If England or the Republic of Ireland progress to the Round of 16, knockout stage of the tournament, both broadcasters will screen each of their matches live, with the BBC having first choice of the remaining games. If they do not, live coverage of the eight matches in this stage will be split, with the BBC retaining first choice of game.

In the quarter finals of the tournament, with eight teams remaining, the pattern of live coverage is reversed with ITV having first choice of matches outside of shared live coverage if England or Ireland qualify.

It was a long time ago Bozza !

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The point stands though, ITV are a jinx.

I'm annoyed at the lack of attention to detail displayed by the research, and am happy to turn this into a 147 page thread arguing the toss over it.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

[/B]

If only that agreement was still in place.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I GENUINELY thought to myself the other day "I'm sure we don't do as well when we're on ITV."

Great.
Let's hope ITV never gets the rights to Test Cricket then.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Can someone explain just why ITV are so crap at sports coverage? They have the money, they just don't seem to be able to present it in the same manner as BBC. Its the commentators, the pundits, the format, the ****ing theme tunes, the inane chat whilst supposedly commentating. They were discussing shoes on one match commentary- SHOES I tell you- not even football boots. The reporters this time round are laughable, no personality, no passion, no knowledge. I understand they have to have adverts-annoying but fair enough, but why oh why do they have to screw everything up. Its not jut football, its everything they show and has been for years, right back to World of Sport v Grandstand, no contest

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Can someone explain just why ITV are so crap at sports coverage? They have the money, they just don't seem to be able to present it in the same manner as BBC. Its the commentators, the pundits, the format, the ****ing theme tunes, the inane chat whilst supposedly commentating. They were discussing shoes on one match commentary- SHOES I tell you- not even football boots. The reporters this time round are laughable, no personality, no passion, no knowledge. I understand they have to have adverts-annoying but fair enough, but why oh why do they have to screw everything up. Its not jut football, its everything they show and has been for years, right back to World of Sport v Grandstand, no contest
It's lowest common denominator TV. They don't care that the quality is complete shite, people still watch, they still get paid from the advertising.

When it comes to major sports events they have the rights to (few and far between now fortunately) they have a captive audience. The rest of their output is aimed at the MASSIVE tabloid reading market of drooling ****tards. Why else would Piers Morgan be in a job.

It's a shame that lots of people who complain about ITV's dire sports coverage are the same ones who moan about the licence fee not being value for money and the BBC in general.

Without the BBC, this is what you get for "free".

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ads dominate, so all momentum is lost when the pundits get going. G.Neville is brilliant on Sky, but you barely get to listen to his views on ITV.

Tyldesley isn’t very good. Amazing that ITV stick by him, as if he’s the quality of Martin Tiler.

Lee Dixon comes across as dour and dominates the brief chats.

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
Londons Burning, Hartbeat, Birds of a Feather, Emmerdale Farm, All Star Family Fortunes, Celebrity Catchphrase, Philip Schofield, Steven Mulhern

???

Can I just check something? Are you saying Heartbeat and All Star Family Fortunes etc are actually good?! ???

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
It's lowest common denominator TV. They don't care that the quality is complete shite, people still watch, they still get paid from the advertising.

When it comes to major sports events they have the rights to (few and far between now fortunately) they have a captive audience. The rest of their output is aimed at the MASSIVE tabloid reading market of drooling ****tards. Why else would Piers Morgan be in a job.

It's a shame that lots of people who complain about ITV's dire sports coverage are the same ones who moan about the licence fee not being value for money and the BBC in general.

BBC is not free , we have to pay tv license , and I see they have decided to put this afternoons match on the red button , and put The British Athletics Championship on instead , great idea ,

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
BBC is not free , we have to pay tv license , and I see they have decided to put this afternoons match on the red button , and put The British Athletics Championship on instead , great idea ,

Classic BBC - stubbornly putting on an obscure sports event, which will draw minute viewing figures, on a prime channel. So very middle class.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bang on the money.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Of course they haven’t.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here