Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Body fat

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
It depends on your body type. Eating for your body type is crucial. If you’re naturally skinny, you don’t want to increase your fat intake beyond a certain level, unless you’re doing something specific like cutting.

I would advise anyone who is looking to put on weight, as clean and easy as possible, to eat 500 extra calories per day (above maintenance). I would personally advise eating 1 avocado and some extra cheese, or any lean meat, which would make up 500 without much fuss. No one is talking about consuming fat beyond any kind of level. Just steady and healthy weight increase.

50% of my diet is carbs (give or take) because of my ectomorphic shape. My body burns these carbs really easily

For sure genetics play an important part, and just important is how you spend your typical day. If you're on your feet all day and go to the gym for 45 minutes most days, 30-50% carbs is ok.
The same cannot be advised for someone with a sedentary job and life.

If you’re endomorphic though, don’t do that.

Depends on your weight goals. It's calories in Vs calories out, with some minor tweaking for body types and genetics (the average person would have no need to go this far).
If you're overweight and want to lose weight, obviously don't stuff your face with carbs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Make sure to make a note of your TDEE (Calories required to maintain body weight), and then adjust as you need, remembering approx 500 extra calories above your TDEE will results in approx 1lb of weight per week.
And no problem :)

Coconut Oil Contains Fatty Acids With Potent Medicinal Properties
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5044790

Populations That Eat a Lot of Coconut Oil Are Healthy
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7270479

Coconut Oil Can Increase Fat Burning
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25636220
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8654328

Coconut Oil Can Raise The Good HDL Cholesterol
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26545671

Coconut Oil Can Help You Lose Fat (specifically abdominal)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25636220
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19437058
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3226242

I bought loads of extra virgin coconut oil on the strength of this, then chucked it all out when a biochemist mate mocked me for my stupidity. I was cooking with it. There is a big difference between the oil itself and the oil used in place of lard to fry an egg. Or a bacon. There are chemical reactions and the fat can transform into something entirely different. Cooking, changing something into something else, like a bowl of mush into a cake? Who would have known? :shrug:

What about more careful food prep (I keep everything apart from the flesh down to 100 degrees, now, and add the fat at the end when I'm doing my 'vegetable dung' - the base I use for fish curry of different shades and tones, my staple)? I'm sticking with the olive oil as it tastes better.

"A paper in the British Nutrition Foundation’s Nutrition Bulletin last year concluded that there is simply not enough evidence for any health claim based on coconut oil."

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I bought loads of extra virgin coconut oil on the strength of this, then chucked it all out when a biochemist mate mocked me for my stupidity. I was cooking with it. There is a big difference between the oil itself and the oil used in place of lard to fry an egg. Or a bacon. There are chemical reactions and the fat can transform into something entirely different. Cooking, changing something into something else, like a bowl of mush into a cake? Who would have known? :shrug:

What about more careful food prep (I keep everything apart from the flesh down to 100 degrees, now, and add the fat at the end when I'm doing my 'vegetable dung' - the base I use for fish curry of different shades and tones, my staple)? I'm sticking with the olive oil as it tastes better.

"A paper in the British Nutrition Foundation’s Nutrition Bulletin last year concluded that there is simply not enough evidence for any health claim based on coconut oil."

Olive oil is great for a Mediterranean diet, and people live longer, but look at middle aged Spaniards, Italians, Greeks etc. They all have paunches.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fat is converted to carbon dioxide and water, not energy.
What? Your muscles can use your fat as energy.
Quick google:
"Chemical bonds are broken, a process which releases heat and fuel to power muscles.

But the atoms - the stuff fat is made of - remain, and much of these leave the body via the lungs as carbon dioxide, say the scientists"

Rapeseed oil is a good oil to cook with, we use it instead of Olive oil.
I'm pretty sure that olive oil is better than rapeseed oil, as long as you don't heat it past its smoking point. Rapeseed oil has been processed a lot, and I don't think it's good for you.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Any healthy ideas to put weight on?
Eat more. Depends what you're already eating, but ensure there are some nice carbs in there, and healthy fats (unsaturated). Possible have a nice meal in the evening, before then chilling on the sofa and going to bed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Very much doubt (refute) that for 2 reasons:
Caloric Surplus required for gaining body fat (switching from olive/regular cooking oil to coconut oil won't create that surplus).
Maybe he liked the taste and it made him eat more?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Olive oil is great for a Mediterranean diet, and people live longer, but look at middle aged Spaniards, Italians, Greeks etc. They all have paunches.

Mmmmmm....yes....indeed. So getting a bit of oliviated body fat is a cushion for survival? That's my plan anyway. I always wanted to turn into a pot-bellied cantankerous old *******, shouting and pointing at the devilry and stupidity of the world at large, comfortable in the knowledge that the blood is neverless coursing through my capillaries, transferring oxygen to my vital organs, and essence of red wine to my brain. :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The $$$$ Coconut Oil Producers Associations would take umbrage with The British Nutrition Foundation.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Make sure to make a note of your TDEE (Calories required to maintain body weight), and then adjust as you need, remembering approx 500 extra calories above your TDEE will results in approx 1lb of weight per week.
And remember than not all calories are equal. For example, calories in protein take more effort for the body to convert into energy, so the calories do less than those in simpler foods. Sugar is the easiest for the body to use, and the calories add weight. Shove that sugar in a drink and you don't even feel full while piling on the pounds (unhealthy though). As well as that, our bodies don't digest everything equally. See that corn in you poo? Well you didn't get many calories from that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My fat cells don't get much chance to be recycled. There is a lot of advice for losing weight.

Any healthy ideas to put weight on? Lots of footie snacks and drinks have only helped by 4 ounces.

Why? If you feel well and are otherwise healthy, what's the problem? I would certainy not advise eating shite in the hope of gaining width/depth. Personally I could do with shedding two stone (for vanity reasons) but I like food and drink (and being active) and I'm 60 and we have a family history of sudden cardiac death, and I am a worrier and a warrior, so I am going to go with the flow, book a skiing holiday next year, and the devil can take the high road (or '**** right off, the ****') as far as I'm concerned. :lolol::thumbsup:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I would advise anyone who is looking to put on weight, as clean and easy as possible, to eat 500 extra calories per day (above maintenance). I would personally advise eating 1 avocado and some extra cheese, or any lean meat, which would make up 500 without much fuss. No one is talking about consuming fat beyond any kind of level. Just steady and healthy weight increase.

For sure genetics play an important part, and just important is how you spend your typical day. If you're on your feet all day and go to the gym for 45 minutes most days, 30-50% carbs is ok.
The same cannot be advised for someone with a sedentary job and life.

Depends on your weight goals. It's calories in Vs calories out, with some minor tweaking for body types and genetics (the average person would have no need to go this far).
If you're overweight and want to lose weight, obviously don't stuff your face with carbs.

The calories in v calories out is an oversimplification of the process. Different body types process calories in significantly different ways. So people are simply more able to process calories than others.

What I guess I’m suggesting is that a steady and healthy increase in food is fine, but if you want to do it as leanly as possible, adding 500 calories of the right kind of foods makes a big difference.

Also, most people don’t actually know what their body needs to consume. So just saying eat 500 extra calories and you’ll add weight is simply untrue. Adding 500 extra calories of carbs for an ectomorph would have a distinctly different impact than it would on an endomoprh.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Why? If you feel well and are otherwise healthy, what's the problem? I would certainy not advise eating shite in the hope of gaining width/depth. Personally I could do with shedding two stone (for vanity reasons) but I like food and drink (and being active) and I'm 60 and we have a family history of sudden cardiac death, and I am a worrier and a warrior, so I am going to go with the flow, book a skiing holiday next year, and the devil can take the high road (or '**** right off, the ****') as far as I'm concerned. :lolol::thumbsup:

The skiing sounds great.

A sport where gravity helps.

We try and go each winter.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Eat more. Depends what you're already eating, but ensure there are some nice carbs in there, and healthy fats (unsaturated). Possible have a nice meal in the evening, before then chilling on the sofa and going to bed.

Already eating loads. Mainly Fruit and veg, chicken or beef, healthy carbs (sweet potatos, brown rice and pasta, seeded bread) nuts, dark chocolate, lots of cheese, olive oil, crisps and pretzels. Drink water, tea and some red wine. The trouble is healthy food is filling and it is hard to eat more. I must eat more calories than I should, i don't actually count though.

I'm very good at chilling on the sofa and sleep well. Think I'm going have to have a hot chocolate.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
The calories in v calories out is an oversimplification of the process. Different body types process calories in significantly different ways. So people are simply more able to process calories than others.

Calories in vs calories out, combined with knowledge of your TDEE and which foods to eat, is all that most people should need in this world, to maintain a healthy weight (or lose/gain healthily).

What I guess I’m suggesting is that a steady and healthy increase in food is fine, but if you want to do it as leanly as possible, adding 500 calories of the right kind of foods makes a big difference.

Which I've already said twice in the thread. Avocado, a bit of cheese and lean meats. Easy and healthy 500 calories.

Also, most people don’t actually know what their body needs to consume. So just saying eat 500 extra calories and you’ll add weight is simply untrue. Adding 500 extra calories of carbs for an ectomorph would have a distinctly different impact than it would on an endomoprh.

TDEE isn't perfect by any means, but it's as close a guide as any regular person can find.
Work out your TDEE, add 500 calories, as long as your entries in the TDEE are accurate, you'll gain weight.

There are 100001 diets out there, for all shapes, sizes and genetics. Completely different macro and micro combinations. But all of that stuff is overkill for this thread.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Already eating loads. Mainly Fruit and veg, chicken or beef, healthy carbs (sweet potatos, brown rice and pasta, seeded bread) nuts, dark chocolate, lots of cheese, olive oil, crisps and pretzels. Drink water, tea and some red wine. The trouble is healthy food is filling and it is hard to eat more. I must eat more calories than I should, i don't actually count though.

I'm very good at chilling on the sofa and sleep well. Think I'm going have to have a hot chocolate.

Do you smoke?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The skiing sounds great.

A sport where gravity helps.

We try and go each winter.

Indeed. I have run out of geriatric chums so the last two times I went on my own. Mrs T has never been and is not a big fan of steep inclines. Catered chalet - always fun. Getting excited about Winter, now :lolol:

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017

I am underweight, BMI 17.9 and do have an neurological/immune illness that doesn't help. Can you donate fat cells? I could do with a transplant.

Have a great time skiing, that should burn a few calories.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here