Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Former referee Mark Halsey admits booking player who asked for card

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
[tweet]1012389048671928325[/tweet]

Mark Halsey has said he was approached by a player asking to be booked during an English top-flight game in 2011.

The former Premier League referee, who retired at the end of the 2012-13 season, told CNN Sport about the incident.

“[The player] just said: ‘Listen, we’ve got a game Tuesday. If I don’t get cautioned now and get one Tuesday, I’ll miss the big derby on the Saturday. So he just asked me if I could show a yellow. And I did actually.

“I said to him: ‘Alright, we’ve got 10 minutes to go, when I give a free-kick against you’ – and I knew I would because he’s that sort of player – ‘just leather the ball 50 yards away and I can caution you for dissent.’

“If you’ve got big games coming up and you’re on four yellow cards, one more means you get suspended. I just said to him: ‘Don’t do nothing stupid.’ He came up to me at the end of the game and said: ‘Thanks for that Mark.”’

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's a specific enough set of circumstances that it should be very easy to find the incident and player in question.

I'm assuming someone somewhere already has.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
I'm pretty sure players have done this without needing to ask the ref, always kept an eye out for the booking with 10 mins to go near xmas which would see a player banned for a couple of games. Likewise at the end of the season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's a specific enough set of circumstances that it should be very easy to find the incident and player in question.

I'm assuming someone somewhere already has.

The player is (was) an idiot, tbh. How hard would it be to think up kicking the ball away, or backchatting the ref all by yourself, without getting into the realms of actual planned cheating / match-fixing?

And Halsey is an idiot too, for admitting he went along with it.

Idiots all round.

el punal

Mark Halsey has said he was approached by a player asking to be booked during an English top-flight game in 2011.

The former Premier League referee, who retired at the end of the 2012-13 season, told CNN Sport about the incident.

“[The player] just said: ‘Listen, we’ve got a game Tuesday. If I don’t get cautioned now and get one Tuesday, I’ll miss the big derby on the Saturday. So he just asked me if I could show a yellow. And I did actually.

“I said to him: ‘Alright, we’ve got 10 minutes to go, when I give a free-kick against you’ – and I knew I would because he’s that sort of player – ‘just leather the ball 50 yards away and I can caution you for dissent.’

“If you’ve got big games coming up and you’re on four yellow cards, one more means you get suspended. I just said to him: ‘Don’t do nothing stupid.’ He came up to me at the end of the game and said: ‘Thanks for that Mark.”’

I wonder if Steve Foster was watching that?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'm pretty sure players have done this without needing to ask the ref, always kept an eye out for the booking with 10 mins to go near xmas which would see a player banned for a couple of games. Likewise at the end of the season.

I always remember Mark Viduka getting a stupid red (second yellow) near the end of the season when Leeds went down. As he trotted off the pitch, looking less than bothered, the commentator made the remark that "it could be the last time we see Viduka in a Leeds shirt, as he'll be suspended from their remaining games." I thought then, hmm, handy little red Mark, jump on a plane home to Australia a few weeks early and swerve the fall-out of relegation. You spineless wonder. I think they were leading in a game they had to win to keep slim hopes alive, but then capitulated after his sending off, and were relegated that day.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Can that not still be seen as illegal now and therefore chargeable, it clearly is match fixing.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The player is (was) an idiot, tbh. How hard would it be to think up kicking the ball away, or backchatting the ref all by yourself, without getting into the realms of actual planned cheating / match-fixing?

And Halsey is an idiot too, for admitting he went along with it.

Idiots all round.

All the well known ex PL refs now seem to be making a good living by revealing anecdotes, secrets and providing punditry.

They can’t stop talking.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

What a complete idiot. Can't even speak proper.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
All the well known ex PL refs now seem to be making a good living by revealing anecdotes, secrets and providing punditry.

They can’t stop talking bollocks.

Edited helpfully for you :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I always remember Mark Viduka getting a stupid red (second yellow) near the end of the season when Leeds went down. As he trotted off the pitch, looking less than bothered, the commentator made the remark that "it could be the last time we see Viduka in a Leeds shirt, as he'll be suspended from their remaining games." I thought then, hmm, handy little red Mark, jump on a plane home to Australia a few weeks early and swerve the fall-out of relegation. You spineless wonder. I think they were leading in a game they had to win to keep slim hopes alive, but then capitulated after his sending off, and were relegated that day.

And despite being born on Bondi beach, hasn't he now swerved his actual allegiance to some Balkan murder state (Croatia)? Utter cock of a man. Good shout.

And look at these numbers: "Leeds United manager David O'Leary signed Viduka just before the 2000–01 season for £6 million." From effing Celtic.

No wonder Leeds are now looking like a former circus strong man with brittle bone disease....

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
And despite being born on Bondi beach, hasn't he now swerved his actual allegiance to some Balkan murder state (Croatia)? Utter cock of a man. Good shout.

And look at these numbers: "Leeds United manager David O'Leary signed Viduka just before the 2000–01 season for £6 million." From effing Celtic.

No wonder Leeds are now looking like a former circus strong man with brittle bone disease....

The Viduka story pales into insignificance behind the Seth Johnson one!

Legend has it that SJ was on 5k a week at Derby, his agent met Ridsdale hoping for an increase to 13k pw; Ridsdale's opening offer was 30k which he immediately upped to 37k in the face of the agent's stunned silence! And who can forget the most expensive Goldfish in football history!

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
How is that match fixing ?

It is the very definition of match fixing. Match fixing doesn’t have to be something that actually influences the result of the game.

It’s entirely comparable to the deliberate bowling of a couple of no-balls, that saw Mohammed Amir charged, and banned for five years.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
It is the very definition of match fixing. Match fixing doesn’t have to be something that actually influences the result of the game.

It’s entirely comparable to the deliberate bowling of a couple of no-balls, that saw Mohammed Amir charged, and banned for five years.

Absolutely. It would be interesting to see whether or not there were any unusual betting patterns around the number of yellow cards for that match and if the players' bank account received any unusual credits!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Slightly pedantic but it’s spot-fixing instead of match fixing. Match fixing does have to be something which influences the result of the game.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spot-fixing

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here