Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jose Izquierdo, Don’t You Dare!

el punal

. . . . play a blinder on Tuesday! We might all love you here in Albion land but should you do the dirty on us your little pet piggy might become bacon. So we’ll have none of this “It’s like playing West Ham” nonsense. Just sit on the subs bench and be a good boy. :drink:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We'll lose against Colombia.

All the talk of engineering the draw ( and by implication taking the last 16 game for granted ) will make sure of that....

And Izquierdo will score the only goal.

:albion2:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

All the talk of engineering the draw ( and by implication taking the last 16 game for granted ) will make sure of that....

100% THIS! You’ve been watching football a while now haven’t you?!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Probably, yes.

But the best chance of "going deep" in the tournament (and I really dislike that phrase, BTW) was by finishing second, even if the first game was going to be more difficult.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Another reason to be reassured JOE HART isn’t in goal.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
He doesn't look anywhere near the first team, so I would be very surprised if he featured.

Were not we offered that janasai(spelling) when Utd were looking to offload him?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Were not we offered that janasai(spelling) when Utd were looking to offload him?

Perhaps, but i wouldn't touch him - turns up less often than Southern Rail.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Probably, yes.

But the best chance of "going deep" in the tournament (and I really dislike that phrase, BTW) was by finishing second, even if the first game was going to be more difficult.
And in Southgate's favour, he doesn't seem to have engineered coming second, he simply played the B side and they tried and failed to win.

If Mexico beat an out of sorts Brazil, finishing top of our group will suddenly look like the best option, but as it stands, finishing second looks good, and resting the A team was more important than fighting hard for a top spot that may be a poisoned chalice.

If any team ever loses on purpose, I'd like to see them disqualified, as happened in the Olympic badminton.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

Looks like the "Told you so!" post in the locker.

I dont think anyone, least of all Southgate, will be is taking the last 16 game for granted.

Every single major team in our position would have rested most of their squad.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I dont think anyone, least of all Southgate, will be is taking the last 16 game for granted.
Not a chance. We haven't won a knockout game for 12 ****ing years!

Even the better teams are unlikely to take games for granted. Korea beat Germany, Iran drew with Portugal and Morocco drew with Spain.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

I think it's a pretty even match. But the talk of an 'easy route' is a set up for embarrassing failure.

I'd rather lose a quarter final to Brazil with a heroic performance than stumble to a semi final trying to run away from the prospect of meeting anyone who is decent. It's not as if the rest of the planet isn't aware of the origins of a team's success.

el punal

Having read the comments so far regarding “manufacturing” second place I don’t think for one second that Southgate chose to lose. Play the reserves maybe, to see whether they could challenge the first choice players. As it happened a few just weren’t up to the mark. A lesson learned and no harm done as we’d already qualified.

I do think this theory of an easier route is a load of bollocks. If you want to win a trophy you have to be prepared to play, and beat, everyone regardless of whether they’re deemed better than you. The fact is we are now in the last 16 and from now on in it is down to how England perform on the day that will dictate whether we progress or not, rather than relying on other teams’ results that sometimes occur in the group stages.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
They had 10 men.

Exactly and he had to defend a fair bit in that match. He had a decent match all things considered.

I don't think he will play on Tuesday though unless Colombia are chasing the game............................ I bet Colombia to win the whole thing because of Jose and at 40/1 and me not being English, I know who I will be supporting on Tuesday. Normally I prefer to see England qualify but this is just hard fact economics decision making.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
They way he played against Japan, would be surprised if he featured tbh.

Four players surrounded him. Still, Colombia reminded me of Sunderland. England should at least scrape a draw.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here