Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jose Izquierdo, Don’t You Dare!

SAC

May 21, 2014
I think it's a pretty even match. But the talk of an 'easy route' is a set up for embarrassing failure.

I'd rather lose a quarter final to Brazil with a heroic performance than stumble to a semi final trying to run away from the prospect of meeting anyone who is decent. It's not as if the rest of the planet isn't aware of the origins of a team's success.

I doubt that you could find any talk of an easier route coming from Southgate or any of his team. Losing to Columbia wont be an embarrassing failure, it would be getting as far as we expected. A win would surpass expectations.

However far we get, plenty will be ready to slag off the team & management.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Four players surrounded him. Still, Colombia reminded me of Sunderland. England should at least scrape a draw.
Columbia were fantastic in their previous game (don't remember who) and will easily beat us if they play to their capabilities imo.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think it's a pretty even match. But the talk of an 'easy route' is a set up for embarrassing failure.

I'd rather lose a quarter final to Brazil with a heroic performance than stumble to a semi final trying to run away from the prospect of meeting anyone who is decent. It's not as if the rest of the planet isn't aware of the origins of a team's success.

You'd rather lose in the quarters than get to the semis, with a chance of winning the World Cup? Blimey...

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Izquierdo did alright in the time he had on the pitch against Japan. It's a realistic possibility that he could get game time on Tuesday with James Rodriguez possibly not even featuring at all.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'd rather lose a quarter final to Brazil with a heroic performance .....

Who can guarantee that it would be a heroic performance though? Did you see us crash out to them in 2002, with an abject 2nd half display, as Brazil held us off very easily despite being down to 10 men.

And anyway, I'd rather see a route that gives us a better chance (no guarantees) of getting to the semi-final. To have Columbia and Sweden/Switzerland between us and a World Cup Semi-Final, quite frankly, gives me a semi of my own.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
We'll lose against Colombia.

All the talk of engineering the draw ( and by implication taking the last 16 game for granted ) will make sure of that....

And Izquierdo will score the only goal.

:albion2:

If we had won the group, whats to say that we would have beaten Japan anyway (everyone expected us to beat Iceland in the Euros) and if we had lost to them, (or to Brazil in the next round) there would be criticism aimed at them for not engineering the result and finishing 2nd in the group (A case of you are damned if you do and damned if you don't)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Having read the comments so far regarding “manufacturing” second place I don’t think for one second that Southgate chose to lose. Play the reserves maybe, to see whether they could challenge the first choice players. As it happened a few just weren’t up to the mark. A lesson learned and no harm done as we’d already qualified.

I do think this theory of an easier route is a load of bollocks. If you want to win a trophy you have to be prepared to play, and beat, everyone regardless of whether they’re deemed better than you. The fact is we are now in the last 16 and from now on in it is down to how England perform on the day that will dictate whether we progress or not, rather than relying on other teams’ results that sometimes occur in the group stages.

I don't get all this "you have to play and beat beat the best to progress and win a competition, by that logic, given the 2 options below, you would be just as happy with either of these to be Brighton's route to the FA Cup final as, by that logic, they are the same and there is no advantage of having an easier route
Harder route
3rd round = Chelsea (a)
4th round = Liverpool (a)
5th round = Tottenham (a)
Quarter-final = Manchester United (A)
Semi-final = Manchester City

Or alternative route to the final
3rd round = Coventry (h)
4th round = Yeovil (h)
5th round = Rotherham (h)
Quarter-final = Rochdale (h)
Semi-final = Chesterfield

Which route is going to result in a higher probability of making the final, and do the opponents on the route make a difference to that chance of making it or not

el punal

I don't get all this "you have to play and beat beat the best to progress and win a competition, by that logic, given the 2 options below, you would be just as happy with either of these to be Brighton's route to the FA Cup final as, by that logic, they are the same and there is no advantage of having an easier route
Harder route
3rd round = Chelsea (a)
4th round = Liverpool (a)
5th round = Tottenham (a)
Quarter-final = Manchester United (A)
Semi-final = Manchester City

Or alternative route to the final
3rd round = Coventry (h)
4th round = Yeovil (h)
5th round = Rotherham (h)
Quarter-final = Rochdale (h)
Semi-final = Chesterfield

Which route is going to result in a higher probability of making the final, and do the opponents on the route make a difference to that chance of making it or not

Wow! Now that is stretching the bounds of credibility with your illustration. Regardless of which is, or not, an easier route through the tournament the fact is this World Cup has proved that there are upsets and banana skins all the way. Hence my assertion that each team now has to play what’s in front of it. It is people’s perception that certain opponents are easier to play against than others, the reality could be exactly the opposite - just ask Germany.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
We'll lose against Colombia.

All the talk of engineering the draw ( and by implication taking the last 16 game for granted ) will make sure of that....

And Izquierdo will score the only goal.

:albion2:

100% THIS! You’ve been watching football a while now haven’t you?!

I think we will beat Columbia and make the quarter finals. You guys obviously feel differently. Would you guys fancy a bet, REMF to benefit?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think we will beat Columbia and make the quarter finals. You guys obviously feel differently. Would you guys fancy a bet, REMF to benefit?
I never bet on my team to lose, even if I think they will.

But as it's for REMF, even though I absolutely feel wrong doing it, I could do a £5.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

I've never betted and not starting now. But I would if otherwise, good call on REMF too.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
What a strange thing to say.

Are you English?

Why's that strange? He would rather an Albion player to do well in the world cup than the England team.

I personally have a lot more passion towards the Albion than England. If we get knocked out, no big deal. It's hardly the Albion getting relegated. If we get knocked out but Jose scores a hat-trick and plays a blinder, I'll still feel very positive knowing one of our own is taking the world by storm.

I think it's stranger that anyone wouldn't want to see Jose perform well in this World Cup regardless if he's playing England.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why's that strange? He would rather an Albion player to do well in the world cup than the England team.

I personally have a lot more passion towards the Albion than England. If we get knocked out, no big deal. It's hardly the Albion getting relegated. If we get knocked out but Jose scores a hat-trick and plays a blinder, I'll still feel very positive if we get knocked out knowing one of our own is taking the world by storm.

If he's english, then I'm sorry but thats just plain odd. It'd be NICE to see an Albion player do well in a World Cup, and if we get knocked out but Jose does well then it would certainly provide some small consolation. But to actually wish for that over and above the progression of your own country in a World Cup ? Weird.

Izqueirdo has been with us for 1 season, and might only be with us for 1 more as far as we know. I have never seen England get beyond a semi-final in a World Cup, and in my lifetime have only seen us play ONCE on that stage. And it was epic. Would I sacrifice all that to see Jose sling some decent crosses over or maybe bend one in ?

Err....thats a no then.

The Optimist

NSC Patreon
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

I personally have a lot more passion towards the Albion than England. If we get knocked out, no big deal. It's hardly the Albion getting relegated. If we get knocked out but Jose scores a hat-trick and plays a blinder, I'll still feel very positive knowing one of our own is taking the world by storm.

I think it's stranger that anyone wouldn't want to see Jose perform well in this World Cup regardless if he's playing England.

But Jose isn't playing for the Albion at the World Cup. What benefit does it do the Albion if Jose plays well for Columbia (other than add to his value if we wanted to sell him)? From a selfish point of view if Columbia get knocked out then Jose can have his holiday earlier and be back for pre-season earlier, which is better for us.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

I personally have a lot more passion towards the Albion than England. If we get knocked out, no big deal. It's hardly the Albion getting relegated. If we get knocked out but Jose scores a hat-trick and plays a blinder, I'll still feel very positive if we get knocked out knowing one of our own is taking the world by storm.

I think that's very strange.

I'd be massively pissed off that we'd been beaten by Colombia. During the World Cup I'd want England to win because I'm an England supporter, just like I want Albion to win during the football season because I'm an Albion supporter. I couldn't give a stuff for who plays for the opposition in these games.

Presumably this means you'd be happy if Ryan saved a last minute penalty if we lost to Australia?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here