Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jose Izquierdo, Don’t You Dare!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
who cares if it is set plays or open play , goals are goals.

Last night , on another day

Kane scores a header
Ali scores a header
Dier scores a header.

So that's 3 goals + the pen.

Don't get the hate

Hate?
Nothing like blowing things out of proportion.
Just a discussion....
Oh and if my Grandma had balls.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well that goes both ways - I would argue you’re easily pleased. [emoji2]

But ‘poor’ is better than ‘woeful’, which sums up previous efforts. IMO we haven’t reached our full potential, which will hopefully happen in the next 3 games.....

Not easily pleased so much as the fact I'm 61 and I have a VERY long memory. And I know with England (a bit like with Brighton) we have to enjoy the small successes that wouldn't necessarily please the top nations/clubs.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Sorry, I’m obviously not making my point very well [emoji2].

I thought England were poor and Colombia were worse from a performance perspective, this is nothing to do with rankings or how I rate Colombia, I thought they would be much better offensively, but seemed more intent on being niggly than using their ability.

If you wanted me to rate them, I would say similar to ourselves somewhere between 8 and 15. As per my earlier post the rankings are nonsense, which you appeared to agree with.

All I have said is I would not expect England to lose or struggle against Tunisia and Panama. Did you?

what you said was "I really feel we’re getting carried away on the back of wins against teams that we should always beat" which is pretty much taken to include Colombia - but if you didn't mean that, then I'd say there was a lot of caution that it was just Panama and Tunisia we'd beaten, but after last night, we're feeling a lot more confident.

Anyway, I'm sure almost everyone expects us to mess it up at some point, the 'getting carried away' thing is really just everyone actually enjoying the fact that we can enjoy a world cup properly for the first time since 2002 :)

Given that 16-year gap, and the fact the world cup will be over in 10 days, I think its a lot more fun to be enjoying how we're doing, rather than spending ages dissecting the poorer points of our display

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
and there was me thinking football was a game of opinions. I didn't realise you're not allowed to see flaws in the starting 11 if they scrape wins against lesser teams.

Why so touchy? "I didn't realise ..." Of course it's a game of opinions. And mine is that you haven't watched enough England games over the decades. If you had you'd realise that by our, admittedly low, standards that was a good performance. Like I said if you're judging us against top teams: no it was shit. But that's not the level we historically compete at. It's like judging Brighton against Man City.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not easily pleased so much as the fact I'm 61 and I have a VERY long memory. And I know with England (a bit like with Brighton) we have to enjoy the small successes that wouldn't necessarily please the top nations/clubs.

[emoji106] you’re older than me so had the benefit of 66 and 70 (I was two).

But I enjoyed 82, 86, 90 and even 98 from a performance perspective, we were creative, although we ‘managed’ the game yesterday for 70 mins, where were the chances?

Kane half-chance, Trippier free-kick just a lack of impetus at times. Just lack a spark.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Hate?
Nothing like blowing things out of proportion.
Just a discussion....
Oh and if my Grandma had balls.......

You're not alone. I'm being accused of hating England too.

It's because you have a fair point which they can't really debate. Accusing someone of Hate is the easy get out clause to not having to see their perspective. It just spells out 'I've lost this debate'

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
what you said was "I really feel we’re getting carried away on the back of wins against teams that we should always beat" which is pretty much taken to include Colombia - but if you didn't mean that, then I'd say there was a lot of caution that it was just Panama and Tunisia we'd beaten, but after last night, we're feeling a lot more confident.

Fair point, I worded it badly........

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Why so touchy? "I didn't realise ..." Of course it's a game of opinions. And mine is that you haven't watched enough England games over the decades. If you had you'd realise that by our, admittedly low, standards that was a good performance. Like I said if you're judging us against top teams: no it was shit. But that's not the level we historically compete at. It's like judging Brighton against Man City.

I'm a Football coach and have worked with the Albion. I think it's fair to say, I know a tiny bit about football. Obviously not as much as you though.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

But I enjoyed 82, 86, 90 and even 98 from a performance perspective, we were creative, although we ‘managed’ the game yesterday for 70 mins, where were the chances?

Kane half-chance, Trippier free-kick just a lack of impetus at times. Just lack a spark.

That's my point about being selective. We were shit in the groups in 86 and 90 unlike this time. As I said to Megazone it's all about opinions. For me this is the best, most enjoyable World Cup since 1970., way better than 82, 86 and 90. And yes it'll probably end in heartbreak too, but that's football! (Certainly English football)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm a Football coach and have worked with the Albion. I think it's fair to say, I know a tiny bit about football. Obviously not as much as you though.

*Sigh* I wasn't questioning your overall knowledge of football. Just your experiences of watching England.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

1990 is a fair comparison. 1-1 draw with Ireland. 0-0 draw with Holland. 1-0 win over Egypt. 0-0 til the 120th minute with Belgium. Almost beaten by Cameroon before two late Lineker penalties.

We're playing better now, I'd wager.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That's my point about being selective. We were shit in the groups in 86 and 90 unlike this time. As I said to Megazone it's all about opinions. For me this is the best, most enjoyable World Cup since 1970., way better than 82, 86 and 90. And yes it'll probably end in heartbreak too, but that's football! (Certainly English football)

We played well against Poland in 86 and Holland in 90, Egypt was similar to yesterday IMO.

Just how I saw it.

You could also argue as per my original point, that this has been one of the most easiest qualifying groups we’ve ever had, so we should win the games.

Again just saying, nothing to do with a lack of patriotism......

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
1990 is a fair comparison. 1-1 draw with Ireland. 0-0 draw with Holland. 1-0 win over Egypt. 0-0 til the 120th minute with Belgium. Almost beaten by Cameroon before two late Lineker penalties.

We're playing better now, I'd wager.

Never! [emoji2][emoji106]

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
what you said was "I really feel we’re getting carried away on the back of wins against teams that we should always beat" which is pretty much taken to include Colombia - but if you didn't mean that, then I'd say there was a lot of caution that it was just Panama and Tunisia we'd beaten
Agreed.
but after last night, we're feeling a lot more confident.
Actually, I don't feel any more confident. I feel we're as likely to lose against Sweden as we were against Colombia, but at least we got to the quarters, which is better than nothing.

Anyway, I'm sure almost everyone expects us to mess it up at some point, the 'getting carried away' thing is really just everyone actually enjoying the fact that we can enjoy a world cup properly for the first time since 2002 :)
Yep.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

So surely you must appreciate the way this side are keeping the ball and some of the calmness under pressure? I've never seen an England defence play triangles on the edge of their 18 yard box. Some of the movement off the ball has been brilliant. The game management is better than I've ever seen from England, when Kane and Ali were drawing the foul because they didn't have an option previous England sides would've panicked and given up possession.
It's only been let down by the final ball usually, if Lingard and Sterling weren't as wasteful we'd be rolling over teams.

Someone else mentioned relying on set pieces, I'm really happy that they've finally tried to play to our strengths, if you have that weapon then why not use it?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

PS I'm half Irish and have lived in Ireland during my childhood, I don't have the passion you have for England. I apologise for not being like you in terms of the England national side. I prefer Ireland, hope that doesn't offend you.

Just to give context to any of you engaging with his latest comments. This posted a few pages ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here