Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Англия против Бельгии (England vs Belgium)

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Англия против Бельгии (England vs Belgium)

Strange night. Don’t really know what to make of it. Learn, forget it and move on hopefully.

The negatives:

Southgate - I have been loving him thoughout the tournament but I can’t help feeling we might regret that team selection and clear lack of desire to win the game. Hope I’m wrong and he turns out to be a genius;
Pickford - Good distibution but I’ve got real concerns about his shop stopping and decision making. He should have saved the goal;
TAA - Looked out of his depth but only young, hopefully will learn. Delivery dreadful;
Dier - Just really poor, we missed Henderson massively.

The positives;

Rose - Natural left footer gives us more balance and he’s far more dynamic going forward than Young;
Maguire - I really like this guy. Absolutely superb bringing the ball out of defence and always shows real desire;
RLC - A class act. I love the way he runs at defenders and commits them.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Vardy is one dimensional, and not international class imho.
A player at this level needs to adapt and be flexible in how he fulfils his role.

Vardy & Welbeck are only back up, why worry we are in the piss easy side of the draw, its the best chance since 1990 to reach a semi-final.

Yesterday and just prior to the match tonight I was in the win win camp but with 8 changes Southgate seems to have pulled off a master stroke as long as we can dispatch Izquierdo's boys! :smile:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Really don't see what Delph, Rose, Dier or Welbeck add to this squad. Thought Alexander-Arnold looked out of his depth as well.

Oh well, tough second round game ahead but what an opportunity now to get to the semis.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Current World Rankings

(Higher ranked teams highlighted)

Uruguay (14) v Portugal (4)
France (7) v Argentina (5)
Brazil (2) v Mexico (15)
Belgium (3) v Japan (61)

Spain (10) v Russia (70)
Croatia (20) v Denmark (12=)
Sweden (24) v Switzerland (6)
Colombia (16) v England (12=)

Quite how Switzerland are ranked at #6 above France and Spain is anyone's guess!

With 5 teams ranked higher than England in the other side of the draw and only 2 in the top 10 in ours, it's looking good.

Last edited:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Current World Rankings

Brazil (2) v Mexico (15)
Belgium (3) v Japan (61)

Spain (10) v Russia (70)

How Switzerland are ranked at #6 above France and Spain is anyone's guess...

They are serial ranking manipulators.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Current World Rankings

Brazil (2) v Mexico (15)
Belgium (3) v Japan (61)

Spain (10) v Russia (70)

Quite how Switzerland are ranked at #6 above France and Spain is anyone's guess!

With 5 teams ranked higher than England in the other side of the draw and only Spain in the top 10 in ours, it's looking good.

They game the system by playing easy friendlies

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Current World Rankings

Brazil (2) v Mexico (15)
Belgium (3) v Japan (61)

Spain (10) v Russia (70)

The USA did similar a few years back, 4th in the FIFA world rankings in 2006.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm sorry but momentum, in this regard, is such a load of cliched bollox.
Didn't you read the memo? It's all about momentum you know. Brazil drew against Switzerland, and couldn't score until after 90 minutes against Costa Rica. Spain drew with Portugal, only managed to win 1-0 again Iran, and failed to beat Morocco! Similarly Portugal couldn't beat Iran.

The only teams left in the World Cup are Belgium, Uruguay and Croatia.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I’m sorry, I can’t see anything bad in this.
We finished second, where every sensible person knew we would finish, including the management team. We play Colombia next round, does anyone really think Southgate hasn’t researched them as our most likely next opponent? We’re in the ( probable) easier half of the draw, had we really wanted to win, wouldn’t we have brought on Kane and Lingard?

We wanted second, no doubt about it, the only team to look better than our first 11 is Belgium, we can’t meet them again until th final.

Bring it on!!

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Strange night. Don’t really know what to make of it. Learn, forget it and move on hopefully.

The negatives:

Southgate - I have been loving him thoughout the tournament but I can’t help feeling we might regret that team selection and clear lack of desire to win the game. Hope I’m wrong and he turns out to be a genius;
Pickford - Good distibution but I’ve got real concerns about his shop stopping and decision making. He should have saved the goal;
TAA - Looked out of his depth but only young, hopefully will learn. Delivery dreadful;
Dier - Just really poor, we missed Henderson massively.

The positives;

Rose - Natural left footer gives us more balance and he’s far more dynamic going forward than Young;
Maguire - I really like this guy. Absolutely superb bringing the ball out of defence and always shows real desire;
RLC - A class act. I love the way he runs at defenders and commits them.

Agree with most your comments.

Not so sure about RLC - some good second half runs, but an awful first half and his decision making at the end of those runs was poor.

What did you reckon of?:

Delph - I thought he was poor.

Jones - chaotically crap.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am now converted to this lose for a better outcome game plan, Southgate is a football genius
Not only is he a genius, but did you see the Oscar winning performances from our boys? Me, I'd have been crap and laughed as I pretended to be disappointed.

Belgium vs Brazil :lol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here