Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Maradona

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
I've got absolutely no problem with Diego (the greatest of all time in my opinion) giving the fingers while celebrating. We've all gone a bit mad at a late winner haven't we, especially if we've had a bit of stick during the game? Ipswich away 3-2 a couple of years back springs to mind. He's a passionate fan who loves his country and is lost in the heat (and coke) of the moment. It's not his fault the camera is on him all the time. Also, he's hardly a role model anymore!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Messi has “just” done it at Barcelona.
The fact that Messi was spotted as being great when just a kid, and then played at a great club ever since, shouldn't count against him.
at least Ronaldo has done it in England
For that provincial club in the north. Man-something?
and for Portugal.
They've only won the Euros, and they won the final without Ronaldo in it, so they're clearly a decent team. The Argentinian team at this WC is pony.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I've got absolutely no problem with Diego (the greatest of all time in my opinion) giving the fingers while celebrating. We've all gone a bit mad at a late winner haven't we, especially if we've had a bit of stick during the game? Ipswich away 3-2 a couple of years back springs to mind. He's a passionate fan who loves his country and is lost in the heat (and coke) of the moment. It's not his fault the camera is on him all the time. Also, he's hardly a role model anymore!

Not a role model anymore? Yes your right I haven't a clue who the coked up prick is and nor have the millions of viewers around the world. :ffsparr: Unbelievable Jeff.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Tv cameras at every game these days. Can you imagine how many goals or brilliance Maradona scored/did without tv cameras there ? Maradona won a World Cup and 2 titles with Napoli (the Italian version of errrr Leicester). Messi has “just” done it at Barcelona. Flat track bully ? Maybe not but at least Ronaldo has done it in England and for Portugal.

As you say, who knows? But the point is, everyone bangs on about the goal against England in 86 as if it's the greatest ever, yet Messi does that a few times every single season. And again - remember - against a far better standard of defending.

Last edited:

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Wonderful player. Should always be regarded as a legend for his footballing achievements.

His exploits since retirement are another matter entirely.

The press should stop hounding him but sadly he does himself no favours.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Wonderful player. Should always be regarded as a legend for his footballing achievements.

His exploits since retirement are another matter entirely.

The press should stop hounding him but sadly he does himself no favours.

He failed a drugs test at the 1994 World Cup Finals while still a player, still don't let details get in the way.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
"A role model is a person whose behavior, example, or success is or can be emulated by others, especially by younger people." Not sure you do? :shrug:

Yes. Not sure a bloated, coked-up, prossie-loving, cheating crook fits this description. Or maybe you do...

Just because you're famous doesn't automatically make you a role model. It wasn't Mother Theresa giving the fingers to the Nigerian fans, FFS, although that would be a sight to behold.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Yes. Not sure a bloated, coked-up, prossie-loving, cheating crook fits this description. Or maybe you do...

Just because you're famous doesn't automatically make you a role model. It wasn't Mother Theresa giving the fingers to the Nigerian fans, FFS, although that would be a sight to behold.

Albania didn't qualify.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
As you say, who knows? But the point is, everyone bangs on about the goal against England in 86 as if it's the greatest ever, yet Messi does that a few times every single season. And again - remember - against a far better standard of defending.

The Spanish league below the top 3 or 4 is awful.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here