Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Maradona

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Never in a million years. Pele maintained a higher level over a longer period of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All subjective though isnt it.
My old man has seen them all over the decades and still insists Duncan Edwards is the greatest footballer he has ever seen play

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
But everything to do with him as the most famous and highest ambassador of the game at the time.
Cheating berk

Well that’s what is often confused. Maradona is clearly not the greatest if you add integrity into it. But I’m talking purely on a footballing ability front. Can you imagine how good he would be these days with the lightweight balls and protection from refs? I mean the guy could literally take on a whole team!
But as you say it’s all subjective.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Athletes evolve. They get quicker, stronger, sharper and more intelligent by every generation. Footballers in 50 years time will be streets better than the current ones. I find it ridiculous how the players of 50 years ago are regarded miles better than the current ones by some of the oldies. Today's game is much quicker and a lot more technical than the days of players chopping each other down, defenders passing it back to their keepers hands whenever under pressure, alcoholic and out of shape footballers chasing hoofed long balls etc. Some of the defending on that George Best highlights reel looks worse than what you see at a sunday league match. They're just aimlessly throwing themselves in the direction of the ball/player. Were they pissed when they were playing too? Defending these days is miles better. Defenders now stay on their feet.

That amazing goal Maradona scored against England has been done loads of times by Messi. You expect Messi to score those sort of goals every season. Messi is far the greatest of all time (so far) IMO. Even his goal today was a combination of Zidane's touch, Maradona's pace & energy and Pele's finishing. And yet, that's just a standard Messi goal, not one of his greatest.

Messi's a much better version of Maradona IMO. No comparison.

Last edited:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Athletes evolve. They get quicker, stronger, sharper and more intelligent by every generation. Footballers in 50 years time will be streets better than the current ones. I find it mazing how the players of 50 years ago are regarded miles better than the current ones. Today's game is much quicker and a lot more technical than the days of players chopping each other down, defenders passing it back to their keepers hands whenever under pressure, alcoholic and out of shape footballers chasing hoofed long balls etc. Some of the defending on that George Best highlights reel looks worse that a sunday league match. Were they pissed when they were playing too?

That amazing goal Maradona scored against England has been done loads of times by Messi. You expect Messi to score those sort of goals every season. Messi is far the greatest of all time (so far) IMO. Even his goal today was a combination of Zidane's touch, Maradona's pace & energy and Pele's finish. Messi's a much better version of Maradona IMO. No comparison.

Messi needs great players around him to function as Messi does. Maradona didn’t need others to make him great, there’s the difference. He played in poor teams, yet did some things with a football you most probably won’t see again.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Messi needs great players around him to function as Messi does. Maradona didn’t need others to make him great, there’s the difference. He played in poor teams, yet did some things with a football you most probably won’t see again.

Messi has scored countless amounts of solo goals where he beats half the opposition all on his own. That sort of ability which he maintains so consistently doesn't require great players around him. Watch some of Messi's highlights reels. So many of his goals are scored from him running with the ball from his own area. I've never seen anyone who can run as quick as Messi and yet have the ball glued to his foot so closely. Maradona had very good ball control but didn't have this supernatural ball control Messi has. The Barca fans all regard Messi better than Maradona. I reckon they'd have a fair judgment considering they watched them both regularly.

This is Messi at just the age of 19. Maradona never had the ball as glued to his foot like this:

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
regardless of what a great player he was he is now a fat , sweaty , coke sniffing git and i expect we will have news of his expiry quite soon after he required medical attention at the Nigeira game for " blood pressure related" issues....i.e bugle over load.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
I would love us to knock Argentina out. His fat f*****g c*****g face would be a picture.
Best player ever or not he’s a c**t

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
All subjective though isnt it.
My old man has seen them all over the decades and still insists Duncan Edwards is the greatest footballer he has ever seen play

Of course it is.
But we can only go by achievements really and stats which can be skewed either way.
Pele scored over 1000 goals and won numerous championships and World Cup’s.

Duncan Edwards though, you can only wonder at what he would have achieved, the fact we’re talking about someone who died so young in a discussion about ‘the greatest’ says it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
image.png
Still thinks it's 1-1 dick

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Why does he wear two watches?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Napoli were involved in 2 relegation battles before Maradona turned up. 2 years later they win the double and first title in their history. Won the UEFA cup, then the league again. They've not got close to that kind of success before or since. Legend. And in a world cup in what was a fairly average Argentinian side, you have a truly great footballer, not only ability, but to galvanise a side around him, believe in him and the team, and to win it. Incredible.

Messi is undoubtedly a great footballer, one of the best to have played, but you are right, he has been blessed to play in one of the greatest football teams ever assembled, and a national team boasting some other stellar names. He's only played for 1 club, not really done it at international level, it leaves the comparison open for huge debate.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Maradona was Miles ahead of Pelé, but I’d say that on that response you must be too young to have seen either of them.

Yes yes yes, we get it. A great player, I would say the best ever.

But still a fat cheating ar5ehole **** of a man. One I would happily not get tired of punching.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here