Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Nigeria v Argentina.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Perhaps this is another advantage of VAR, in bringing to an end wrongly awarded handball penalties, with uniformity across refs and governing bodies, with everyone complying with the FIFA law:

View attachment 98071

Good to see this working well in tonight's game.

Well yes, I agree it should be consistent. But it isn't, which is why there is a debate to be had.

You don't need to post the law. I know what it is but I explained how it can be interpreted. Even the ref tonight indicated he made the decision because the defender headed the ball first. If he misjudged the ball and it hit his arm first I'm pretty sure it would have been given, even though he wouldn't have truly meant to handball it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well yes, I agree it should be consistent. But it isn't, which is why there is a debate to be had.

You don't need to post the law. I know what it is but I explained how it can be interpreted. Even the ref tonight indicated he made the decision because the defender headed the ball first. If he misjudged the ball and it hit his arm first I'm pretty sure it would have been given, even though he wouldn't have truly meant to handball it.

All's well that ends well. Lineker put us straight. England still in the WC. Happy days.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
It's a penalty all day long and the deliberate aspect is a red herring. He misjudges the flight of the ball leading to him heading the ball on to his arm. He didn't mean to do it but it's the result of an error by him. The deliberate consideration is more applicable to scenarios such as when a player has the ball blasted at him from a short distance.

Or let's put it another way with this scenario. Muzza is through on goal against Palace and deftly jobs it over the keeper towards the goal. However, covering defender gets back to the ball but inexplicably swings wrong foot at it resulting in him slicing the ball on to his arm. It's a horrendous error but somehow you wave it on as it was an honest mistake that he didn't mean to make. It's a penalty all day long and tonight Drogba and Rio were just poor at articulating their point.

boik

Captain Knowledgeable, not Idiot!

My favourite all time player is Cruyff. He did a similar thing at Barca, giving them their first title in 14 years, when up against anti-Catalan 'powers' led by the dictator Franco.

Mine too. Not just Barca, but before Cruyff, Netherlands were footballing minnows just happy to occasionally beat Belgium.

D

Deleted member 18477

Lin-acre read out the law & he got it right. Not a deliberate use of the arm, as explicitly stated in the law.

Drogba's technical contribution was strange - "it should've have been a pen, coz it would've put through Nigeria through".

Never a pen, anymore than the one against Portugal was yesterday.

Pen for me chaps. Game of opinions though isn't it. Even more so with VAR now.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's a penalty all day long and the deliberate aspect is a red herring. He misjudges the flight of the ball leading to him heading the ball on to his arm. He didn't mean to do it but it's the result of an error by him. The deliberate consideration is more applicable to scenarios such as when a player has the ball blasted at him from a short distance.

Or let's put it another way with this scenario. Muzza is through on goal against Palace and deftly jobs it over the keeper towards the goal. However, covering defender gets back to the ball but inexplicably swings wrong foot at it resulting in him slicing the ball on to his arm. It's a horrendous error but somehow you wave it on as it was an honest mistake that he didn't mean to make. It's a penalty all day long and tonight Drogba and Rio were just poor at articulating their point.

Deliberately is explicitly stated in the law, and correctly interpreted as such by the VAR team last night and Lineker.

Red herrings are anti-Argentina misinterpretations, desperately trying to find a subjective basis for it to be a pen.

Looks like VAR over time might finally nail the wildly varying giving or not of handball pens.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Deliberately is explicitly stated in the law, and correctly interpreted as such by the VAR team last night and Lineker.

The VAR team thought the ref may have potentially made a clear and obvious error by not giving a penalty, or else they wouldn't have flagged it for review. It's not as clear as you are trying to portray.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Lineker and co suggesting Sweden could easily have had a pen after Chicharito controlled with his arm. He tried to control with his chest but misjudged it, so not truly deliberate. VAR said review, ref said no.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here