Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516 LastLast

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by seagulls4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The law says deliberate but it's very rare that a player truly deliberately handles a ball. It's interpreted loosely such that if players doesn't make an effort not to handle the ball when they could do so then it's often given as handball. His arm was outstretched and it stopped the ball going to the attacker. It could have easily been given but probably not clear and obvious so right call.
    Sounds like Lineker needs to explain it all to us again.

You're accurately describing erroneous decisions made by some poor referees. Often playing to the gallery, loving the drama of pointing to the spot. The Complete And Utter Shyster?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Everything Must Change Beach Hut's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      You have to feel for Nigeria but they had that chance to win, Maradonna is a Cupid stunt for that celebration.

Did I hear correctly the teenager in goal for Nigeria was 14 when in the U18 team that won their age group World Cup, amazing talent if correct
      I surrender all control
      To the desire that consumes me whole
      Leads me by the hand to infinity
      Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      I hated his 1986 cheating as much as any Englishman.

But I love the football of the elite to have ever played the game, including Maradona. He inspired also-rans Napoli to Serie A titles in 87 and 90, when Serie A was by far and away the greatest league in the world, dominated by brilliant AC Milan and Internazionale teams at that time.
      Completely! I doubt Ronaldo (Portugal) or Messi could pull off what he did. The you tube clips of him with a football just training are just amazing. I know he cheated, had a drug problem, I know everyone in England hated him for the 86 handball, but he was imo the greatest player ever. There’s no way Ronaldo or Messi could have dragged that Napoli team out of the gutter like Maradona.
      Last edited by Captain Sensible; 26-06-2018 at 21:34.
      Tyson Gay

0 Not allowed!
      Gonzo Higuain looks a broken man.
      Winner with a capital W
      2013 NSC Rugby League Sweepstake Champion, 2014 NSC World Snooker Championship Runner-Up, 2017 Six Nations Prediction Winner, 2017 NSC Rugby League World Champion, 2017 Lyme Regis News Poster of the Year

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Beach Hut View Post
      You have to feel for Nigeria but they had that chance to win, Maradonna is a Cupid stunt for that celebration.

Did I hear correctly the teenager in goal for Nigeria was 14 when in the U18 team that won their age group World Cup, amazing talent if correct
      The Nigerian Christian Walton.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
      Only for the first few games. Once players realize holding means a penalty they have no option but to stop it. Bruno will need to plan a new strategy!
      Lucky for John Terry that he has hung up his boots..... that ridiculous blocking off clothes line thing he did was pathetic.
      I had run 17 miles from Grayshades before the school leopard caught me.....

" Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom "
      Terry Pratchett 1948 – 2015

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sensible View Post
      Completely! I doubt Ronaldo (Portugal) or Messi could pull off what he did. The you tube clips of him with a football are just amazing. I know he cheated, had a drug problem, I know everyone in England hated him for the 86 handball, but he was imo the greatest player ever. There’s no way Ronaldo or Messi could have dragged that Napoli team out of the gutter like Maradona.
      Captain Knowledgeable, not Idiot!

My favourite all time player is Cruyff. He did a similar thing at Barca, giving them their first title in 14 years, when up against anti-Catalan 'powers' led by the dictator Franco.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      Sounds like Lineker needs to explain it all to us again.

You're accurately describing erroneous decisions made by some poor referees. Often playing to the gallery, loving the drama of pointing to the spot. The Complete And Utter Shyster?
      And as I explained refs rarely interpret that law as truly deliberate, in a really literal sense. They are given guidance on how to interpret the laws, which can vary slightly between countries. Handball can come from both action, and inaction. Former refs have talked about this, and it's why they often talk about distance, speed of ball, arm position, etc and whether they could have got out the way of it. How often does a player actually mean to handle the ball in the penalty area? Of course they try not to. Yet handballs in the penalty area happen all they time, based of how refs have been trained, although the Premier League has cut down on this in the last couple of seasons after issuing new guidance to refs.
      Two Mad Professors Two Professors's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      What a shame.I was hoping for a last kick of the match equaliser.
      In Chris We Trust.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by seagulls4ever View Post
      And as I explained refs rarely interpret that law as truly deliberate, in a really literal sense. They are given guidance on how to interpret the laws, which can vary slightly between countries. Handball can come from both action, and inaction. Former refs have talked about this, and it's why they often talk about distance, speed of ball, arm position, etc and whether they could have got out the way of it. How often does a player actually mean to handle the ball in the penalty area? Of course they try not to. Yet handballs in the penalty area happen all they time, based of how refs have been trained, although the Premier League has cut down on this in the last couple of seasons after issuing new guidance to refs.
      Perhaps this is another advantage of VAR, in bringing to an end wrongly awarded handball penalties, with uniformity across refs and governing bodies, with everyone complying with the FIFA law:

Name:  IMG_2676.PNG
Views: 153
Size:  416.1 KB

Good to see this working well in tonight's game.