Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] If you had £100k

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I guess the answer should probably depend on how old the OP is, I would have done different things at different ages. At 18-21 I would have blown it without thinking I’m sure

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Just curious like,
If you had £100k in your pocket, but nothing else, no home or dependents etc, what would the wise people on nsc do?

(Aside from singing a decent young left back from non league football)

Is it at all possible to get £100k in an average sized pocket?

Answer: Check into a hotel pretty sharpish before it starts pissing down. :shrug:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Just curious like,
If you had £100k in your pocket, but nothing else, no home or dependents etc, what would the wise people on nsc do?

(Aside from singing a decent young left back from non league football)

Move up north and buy a house, Or use it as a deposit for a house down south.

No point in wasting such an amount on pointless things that will be worthless in the near future. But a house can always be sold for a good return.

P.S I am a home owner already and I have calculated that once I finish paying off my mortgage my property will be worth more than I ever end up giving the bank for my mortgage, It's already worth 150% of the purchase value within 5 years.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I'd use the bulk of it alongside my deposit already saved to buy my first flat in order to bring my mortgage repayments down. Hold back about £20k of it and go travelling for a year, see the world. Not overly fussed about the best hotels and flying first class in all honesty, so that would easily be enough for me.

Looking at 30-35 year mortgages is bloody depressing though when you read about people retiring at 35-40.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The problem with living in Mexico or anywhere in Central America is the crime. They have among the highest murder rates anywhere in the world. Drug gangs everywhere, make East and south London look like a kindergarten.

You would be better if buying a one bed flat in a cheap part of Spain near the sea, in somewhere like costa Blanca . At least Spain is a fairly stable country with not horrendous crime .

The answer to this is Cuba. Hardly any crime, stunning beaches, amazing people, weather, dirt cheap to live there. The most expensive "mansion" in the area we last visited cost $150k. Brilliant free education system and healthcare.

The only problem is that you can't buy property there unless you're married to a Cuban. But if you've seen some of the Cuban women then this really isn't a problem at all.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I’d ask this nice Nigerian Prince who’s been emailing me , to invest it in one of his really profitable schemes. Apparently, I’ll make millions and millions, and then I’ll retire.

What could possibly go wrong.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Go back to the north of Brazil, buy a little house on the beach..... get a really good, health plan, teach English in the afternooons and watch the sunset every night with a bottle of Antarctica and some picanha grilled on the bbq while listening to some bossa nova...
Actually did this for a while and everyday I wonder why I stopped.....

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Go back to the north of Brazil, buy a little house on the beach..... get a really good, health plan, teach English in the afternooons and watch the sunset every night with a bottle of Antarctica and some picanha grilled on the bbq while listening to some bossa nova...

Your £100k ran out maybe?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
The problem with living in Mexico or anywhere in Central America is the crime. They have among the highest murder rates anywhere in the world. Drug gangs everywhere, make East and south London look like a kindergarten.

You would be better if buying a one bed flat in a cheap part of Spain near the sea, in somewhere like costa Blanca . At least Spain is a fairly stable country with not horrendous crime .

Do you read the Daily Mail? :lolol:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

Bollocks.
Not personal, but you cannot totally write entire countries off because of crime stats.
Don't let the media scare you, they're only trying to grab views or sell papers.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

Out of interest... when was this, and how did you set it all up? Love to do something similar (if you could PM me would be great).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here