Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] HMS Sussex

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Does anyone have or know of any pictures or drawings of the HMS Sussex Circa 1600-1700? I am looking for a ship for a tattoo and I like the idea of getting the HMS Sussex, the only ones I can find are this one

View attachment 98033

and another painting on an andalucia website which it wont let me copy for some reason.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any other works featuring this ship.

NB. Not looking for metal HMS Sussex pics, just wooden ones! :smile:

There's no 'The' in HMS...........................

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Oh right, sorry to let you down haha I’m sure I’ve spoken to you before about the Navy but what was your experience like? Did you enjoy it? I have my fitness test on Friday and all going well I should have my joining date fairly soon, quite looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not that you've asked me, but I joined the RN in 1964, did twelve years, had a fantastic time, made great friends, travelled the world.....the latter could be your biggest problem nowadays !

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
56F9F5A5-5591-4ADA-B70E-A40B9BB28CB8.jpegDAFFE48C-862B-4F3F-BB8D-C0FCAE21EDFB.jpegD2C023B3-748B-4BDA-9F2A-54EBE5A06F9B.jpeg

As an ex- matelot, I have done some research and al these ships are HMS Sussex, if you’re going to be a proper Son of the Sea, you MUST add the words, ‘Homeward bound’ somewhere on the tat.

I’m am somewhat of an expert on this matter, although I have no body art about my person, whatsoever.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Oh right, sorry to let you down haha I’m sure I’ve spoken to you before about the Navy but what was your experience like? Did you enjoy it? I have my fitness test on Friday and all going well I should have my joining date fairly soon, quite looking forward to it.

Saw the new recruits at the Navy desk at Plymouth station yesterday waiting to be taken to HMS Raleigh.
Nice short haircuts, quiet, ashen faced, shuffling from foot to foot, wondering what on earth they have gone and done.
I think they have done a very good thing, they just don't know it yet. I know and have met many people who have been or still are in The Navy, not one had a bad time.
Good luck.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I’m sure there used to be an HMS Brighton when I was a teenager in the 60’s. Minesweeper or MTB I think. Often used to moor at Shoreham harbour.

Said it before and no doubt I'll say it again, but the difference between those with tattoos and those without is those with them don't give a toss if you haven't.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I’m sure there used to be an HMS Brighton when I was a teenager in the 60’s. Minesweeper or MTB I think. Often used to moor at Shoreham harbour.

HMS Brighton was a frigate but in the 70s.
You might be thinking of the reserve's minesweeper HMS Curzon, that was moored at Shoreham. When she reverted back to the Navy, she resumed her original name HMS Fittleton. Unfortunately, 75 or 76 (I can't remember exactly without looking it up) she collided with HMS Mermaid & sunk in the North Sea. Most of the casualties were from London reserve unit, HMS President, but there were some from Brighton.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
View attachment 98039View attachment 98040View attachment 98041

As an ex- matelot, I have done some research and al these ships are HMS Sussex, if you’re going to be a proper Son of the Sea, you MUST add the words, ‘Homeward bound’ somewhere on the tat.

I’m am somewhat of an expert on this matter, although I have no body art about my person, whatsoever.

I really like the last one there, not a massive fan of colour tattoos at the moment.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I opened this thread expecting to see something about the RNR unit, that used to be at the King Alfred (now a car park) and at Shoreham harbour. I was part of that, until I joined up ful time.

When was this? I was a radio operator there from '83-'86

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
HMS Brighton was a frigate but in the 70s.
You might be thinking of the reserve's minesweeper HMS Curzon, that was moored at Shoreham. When she reverted back to the Navy, she resumed her original name HMS Fittleton. Unfortunately, 75 or 76 (I can't remember exactly without looking it up) she collided with HMS Mermaid & sunk in the North Sea. Most of the casualties were from London reserve unit, HMS President, but there were some from Brighton.
Here is HMS Brighton battling with Icelandic gunboats during the Cod War.

https://youtu.be/pI8m-aiA_j4

The previous one was a lease - lend destroyer in WW2

2303c40474cb6ffaccac896828e5eefa.jpg

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014

Not that you've asked me either but I loved my time, 81-89...It never leaves you. Would go back tomorrow if I could. Don't give up, get through training and it gets easier and more fun although to be fair the training never bothered me and I was never home sick. Best thing I ever did.

I to was in in the best branch, I was also a Sparker... They don't exist any more....

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
Not that you've asked me either but I loved my time, 81-89...It never leaves you. Would go back tomorrow if I could. Don't give up, get through training and it gets easier and more fun although to be fair the training never bothered me and I was never home sick. Best thing I ever did.

I to was in in the best branch, I was also a Sparker... They don't exist any more....

Good to know! I am going in as a WE, I'm imagining the training will be tough (I'm not the lightest person in the world though have lost 3 stone training for the fitness test) but the way i see it, its only ten weeks, just need to grit my teeth and get through it and ill have a job i want to do! Homesickness doesn't bother me either to be honest, been away from 'home' the last 8 years.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here